Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running a VPN Company and received a DMCA Today. What should I do? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Running a VPN Company and received a DMCA Today. What should I do?

2»

Comments

• sc754sc754 Member

Wonder how many people are now taking a look at that particular video mentioned in the DMCA....

Thanked by 2darkshire Pwner
  • @sc754 said:
    Wonder how many people are now taking a look at that particular video mentioned in the DMCA....

ive got it bookmarked for a later time.

for science.

Thanked by 1sc754
  • @Mark_R said:
    I've been pretty straightforward. if you have difficulties understanding my previous post then I
    recommend that you read it again instead of talking about value without adding anything ontopic > yourself.

What should the OP do then? If he gets a "more serious" notice what should he do? Please share the procedures with us if you know them. My contribution to the thread is asking people to share their experience. I have googled this topic numerous times and I can never find any concrete advise or the process one needs to follow in such cases. I think it will be helpful for people participating in this forum to learn from others' experiences.

• might I recommend the obvious. Do a google search for DCMA lawyers and talk to individuals who have actually tried or defended cases on this issue. Might be more appropriate than the random suggestions on a forum which may or may not have any rational legal basis, but an interpretation by the poster of "how the world should work" and 'clouded by their own experiences". it might be more fruitful for solving all of the intricacies involved in this topic so often fraught with personal opinion and bias

• @Just_A_Noob said:
    might I recommend the obvious. Do a google search for DCMA lawyers and talk to individuals who have actually tried or defended cases on this issue. Might be more appropriate than the random suggestions on a forum which may or may not have any rational legal basis, but an interpretation by the poster of "how the world should work" and 'clouded by their own experiences". it might be more fruitful for solving all of the intricacies involved in this topic so often fraught with personal opinion and bias

That would be the right advise if the OP is looking for the legal answer "by the book". What one can learn from other VPN providers is how the problem plays out in the real world, which may not be exactly the same as theory suggests.
    We know that there are some "untold" facts and solutions so why not share them :)

• lazytlazyt Member

Lawyers advice: Pay me $400,000 and I'll write them and take care of it.

Provider advice tell upsteam it's taken care of and d/c the vpn. If friends of friends of god who knows who is on it it's time to kill it.

Thanked by 1elwebmaster
  • cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited April 2014

Running a search on imtiax alone shows a lot of bad activity,booters and a crypticvpn. What's imtiax btw ? Do you own imtiax.net?

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited April 2014

@liamwithers I know you run a VPN service has anyone ever attempted to proceeded with legal action? How do you typically handle it?

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited April 2014

With this particular DMCA sender, IGNORE, DELETE, FORWARD TO SPAM. Or better yet, respond saying people with a history of fraudulent DMCA notices need to send it via certified mail.

With most others, they'll define a port and an IP address. What you want to do is forward the notice to the client if known, block the port until they file a counter notice, and tell your upstream provider that you've taken action as required by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

• @Rallias said:
    With this particular DMCA sender, IGNORE, DELETE, FORWARD TO SPAM. Or better yet, respond saying people with a history of fraudulent DMCA notices need to send it via certified mail.

With most others, they'll define a port and an IP address. What you want to do is forward the notice to the client if known, block the port until they file a counter notice, and tell your upstream provider that you've taken action as required by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

What about for more serious offenses (unrelated to DMCA)? Is it enough to track down the customer and forward all relevant details to the authorities requesting them or they go against you first? Or do they shut down the whole node and the provider sues you? How do such cases normally unfold or they don't happen very often with small VPN providers?

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@imtiax, as others have mentioned, this isn't too much to worry about. If you've removed VPN access on that node anyway then you certainly have nothing to worry about. You mentioned that you've allowed access to some friends, and I'm assuming it's fairly small scale? Might just be worth giving them a shout to let them know to tread carefully - assuming they're good friends, they'll respect and understand what you're saying.

@PcJamesy, nothing has ever gone as far as resulting in any attempt of legal action. Different things are handled in different ways, but something such as this isn't overly concerning. If OP was to start offering paid services, then I'd suggest taking some precautions beforehand to prevent access to common spam/p2p protocols.

@elwebmaster, for anybody running things on a fairly small scale, so long as precautions are taken and you don't go advertising on places like HF, or appealing to the wrong crowd, then generally speaking you shouldn't get into too much bother. It's also a good idea to keep track of where visitors to your site are coming from so that if a community with a bad reputation starts posting links to your services, you can get in touch and have the links removed.

Thanked by 1elwebmaster
  • @liamwithers said:
    elwebmaster, for anybody running things on a fairly small scale, so long as precautions are taken and you don't go advertising on places like HF, or appealing to the wrong crowd, then generally speaking you shouldn't get into too much bother. It's also a good idea to keep track of where visitors to your site are coming from so that if a community with a bad reputation starts posting links to your services, you can get in touch and have the links removed.

Thank you! You've been very helpful, this kind of information is very hard to find. How about logging? Is it enough to redirect all requests on port 53 to your local DNS and log every request, then redirect every tcp request through a proxy which logs it as well? Or should one setup an iptables rule to log every request instead? Or is it much safer to buy a real dedicated IP for every customer? Assuming your terms of service disclose the logging practice.

• elwebmaster said: What about for more serious offenses (unrelated to DMCA)? Is it enough to track down the customer and forward all relevant details to the authorities requesting them or they go against you first? Or do they shut down the whole node and the provider sues you? How do such cases normally unfold or they don't happen very often with small VPN providers?

Honestly, your Upstream Provider should be made aware that you are an Internet Services Provider, so realistically, do your research on incoming notices. If it appears to be violation of ToS, suspend, otherwise look into if you're liable without action.

elwebmaster said: Thank you! You've been very helpful, this kind of information is very hard to find. How about logging? Is it enough to redirect all requests on port 53 to your local DNS and log every request, then redirect every tcp request through a proxy which logs it as well? Or should one setup an iptables rule to log every request instead? Or is it much safer to buy a real dedicated IP for every customer? Assuming your terms of service disclose the logging practice.

Logging is bad and accomplishes nothing.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@elwebmaster said:
    Thank you! You've been very helpful, this kind of information is very hard to find. How about logging? Is it enough to redirect all requests on port 53 to your local DNS and log every request, then redirect every tcp request through a proxy which logs it as well? Or should one setup an iptables rule to log every request instead? Or is it much safer to buy a real dedicated IP for every customer? Assuming your terms of service disclose the logging practice.

No worries. If logging is stated in TOS etc., then it would definitely be easier to stick everybody on a dedicated IP. However, this would only work if you could say yes to each of the following questions.

1. Are you happy to only have one location?
    2. If using multiple locations, are you happy to hand out dedicated IP's on each location?
    3. Do you mind having a higher priced service for this, even if it's not something that all of your clients necessarily want?
    4. Can you realistically get and afford enough IP's to suit your client base in each location?

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have anything specific you want to ask/talk about :)

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited April 2014

How they bust? Just how? If not in touch with Crissic or completely control bt sites,traffic,or what?