Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minimun salary for and IT in USA?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Minimun salary for and IT in USA?

what will be a salary for an IT with 3 year of experience/ working with linux, windows, colocation and sales

Comments

• maybe 45k? (USD)

• qenoxqenox Member

Any certifications? What sort of education? Verifiable experience or your own operation? etc. etc. Also, where are you in the US? It varies a lot.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2014

$7/hour? I think that was increased though :)

• @qenox said:
    Any certifications? What sort of education? Verifiable experience or your own operation? etc. etc. Also, where are you in the US? It varies a lot.

CompTIA A+ and Security +, Miami

• IT is too general. Have a look here http://www.payscale.com/

Thanked by 1UltranetUSA
  • No Cisco vendor certifications? No Linux+ certification?

I'd have to agree, probably around 45k - 50k.

• With your grasp on the English language? Probably around $30k-$35k depending on your geography.

• @UltranetUSA said:
    what will be a salary for an IT with 3 year of experience/ working with linux, windows, colocation and sales

What specific position? "IT" is a very broad term.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

qenox said: Any certifications?

Lots of places ignore certs. My employer (Fortune 500) puts very little value on them.

Why? https://www.google.com/#q=comptia+a++dumps

Some do have value - the ones you have to take a real hands-on test for, like RHCE, CCIE, OCM, etc.

• Really depends on where you are in the country. The area I live in has a low cost of living and my first "IT" Job which was Tier II On Site Tech Support started at 28k. This was with a fortune 500 company. That same exact position in the DC Metro or Dallas TX area paid 40k. Really depends on where you are and what kind of IT position this is. Tier 1 Support Desk != Network Engineer != System Engineer..

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Depends where you are living and working. A salary of $45,000 USD annually is very different in a city like Buffalo than Chicago, Seattle, etc. In Buffalo that salary makes you middle class, in Seattle you would be working poor.

• derpderp Member

Who knows? $30k + $5k for every year of progressive experience you've had.

• IT is too general. Have a look here http://www.payscale.com/

There used to be a lot of sites giving general salary information by region and profession, without requiring you fill out a survey and provide your info, but it seems I forgot to bookmark them (probably have them on another computer). Just use google, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for on the first page or two....

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited April 2014

There probably is, payscale has a lot of data though. I'd enquired about API access a few years back and they were wanting 5 grand a month. Clearly "API access to payscale" is way up there with the best paid jobs.

They make it hard to simply access the data without adding your own, but at least the last time I looked, you don't have to do the form filling.

• You didn't give a ton of detail, but if you're guru-level in Linux with three years of experience, you could probably make $80k or so, depending on where you live. If you have just general knowledge and don't get into the nitty gritty too often, I'd say $40k-$50k (again, this varies by location).

• ztecztec Member

Depends on how good you really are and how you sell yourself.
    Even your work requires some personal marketing.

• @amhoab said:
    You didn't give a ton of detail, but if you're guru-level in Linux with three years of experience, you could probably make $80k or so, depending on where you live.

Maybe in a city with a very high cost of living, but generally, 80k is way high for someone with three years of experience with anything.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited April 2014

This is for a application developer:
    http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Application+Developer&l1=

(yes I'm going to be one)

IT is a high-earning sector in the job-market and will only become more important in the future.

• Floris said: IT is a high-earning sector in the job-market and will only become more important in the future.

And you'll get less money for the same job as the market saturates.

"IT" is too broad. You can make pennies or millions a day depending on your venture and position. One of the better things about IT is that it makes it easier to own and start your own ventures.

• @AThomasHowe said:

Sure, that´s a true fact, but still, A IT-Study Will get you a job more easy. After going for Application Developer in fact, I'll study further for a Bachelor degree in Cyber Security, to make myself even more worthy in the future, Cyber Security will only become more important in the future.

• It's certainly a good field to get into but you're about 20 or 30 years late for the gold rush. There are other jobs that are going to be just as important in the future though - public services, real life security, farming etc.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited April 2014

@AThomasHowe said:
    It's certainly a good field to get into but you're about 20 or 30 years late for the gold rush. There are other jobs that are going to be just as important in the future though - public services, real life security, farming etc.

Still, this is something I like and find very interesting, there's still a shortage of Cyber Security Developers and such, So getting into this field, would still get me a great salary while enjoying my work and the latest is something I find very important.

• Floris said: Still, this is something I like and find very interesting, there's still a shortage of Cyber Security Developers and such, So getting into this field, would still get me a great salary while enjoying my work and the latest is something I find very important.

Like I said, it's still a good field and you have the advantage that even though the overall market value falls, your value still gets greater over people who have less experience in the industry than you, thus your pay should keep rising... I just wanted to note that you and I both are way too late to really bank as a lowly, (non self) employed programmer.

• @Floris said:
    This is for a application developer:
    http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Application+Developer&l1=

Those salaries look to be skewed towards senior-level positions. An average salary is probably more in the 70k range -- which is still pretty good. Bottom line, yes you can make that much . . . if you excel at what you do, work for the right company, and put in the time.

• dont worry by the time you are done they will have 10s of thousands of skilled immigrants from the third world willing to do application development for $10/hour

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AThomasHowe said: It's certainly a good field to get into but you're about 20 or 30 years late for the gold rush. There are other jobs that are going to be just as important in the future though - public services, real life security, farming etc.

Um, what?

Plenty of people earning six figures in IT. Low level screwdriver turners no, but good developers - many. If your idea of "gold rush" is "instant millionaire IPO" then that was never more than a tiny tiny tiny percentage of people.

Farming? The future (heck, the present) is giant agribusiness. Real life security - like a mall cop? Heck, police officers make $40-50K in many cities. FBI agents make what, $70K? Public services? All of the developers in my company make more than the mayor of our city.

If you'd said health care you might have an argument but STEM careers will own the future for as far as the eye can see.

• I am saying that we're reaching the peak for an entry level developer as we're reaching the point where programmers aren't really in scarcity. 20 or 30 years ago you could be not too great a programmer but still be talking about some of the numbers in this thread because programmers weren't really there out in the wild as they are today.

I didn't say nobody is making good money and I wasn't talking about startups etc. I was saying that you shouldn't just see dollar signs now when you look at a profession in IT as the skills are a lot more abundant.

Of course all your friends are making good money, they're not entry level developers trying to make it in the market in 10 years time.

• On a side note, a Medical Doctor is paid US$ 36k per year in Turkey.

• IT is still a good field to get into but the best years are likely in the past. In my years in corporate IT I found that my workload tripled and my salary barely kept up with cost of living inflation. As the market has matured employers want less workers doing the same amount of work the job I started with had x number or responsibilities, within 5 years my job had been combined with 4 other ones and the responsibilities of all four jobs were added to what I began doing. This is a trend in the IT world. Long hours, little respect, and often times managers who do not know the first thing about the work their employees do. Welcome to IT in 2014! It is a great field and good compensation if you have the right mix of skills, but when I look at those who entered the field at the same time I did, I find that most have moved to other fields because of burnout, frustration, and many other things.

Thanked by 1UltranetUSA