Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What anti-virus programs do you use? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What anti-virus programs do you use?

Comments

• Just a question to all malwarebyte users,

Don't you get tired of their IP blocking system? they seem to be listing alot of ip ranges no matter if it has anything malicious on it or not (holding a grudge against some hosts.) I tried them once and it felt like I was surfing behind the GFW

It is too bad because if we would exclude the ip blacklist it is pretty good software as add-on ontop of your main security program.

• I never run Malwarebytes as a service, only as a scan-and-quarentine.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • XuHiXuHi Member

+1 For Eset Nod.... Very lightweight and easy to use compared to some other annoying AV's like AVG

• Rob92Rob92 Member

MBAM Pro + Common Sense Internet Security and Anti-Virus 2014 :D

• cygnicygni Member

I use Linux.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited April 2014

Instead of (or in addition to) using an anti-virus, you can sandbox your web browsers using Sandboxie (http://www.sandboxie.com), or better yet, use a program like Deep Freeze that wipes all changes to your system upon reboot. Make sure to start with a "clean" state and save your personal files in the "thawed" space so they are not wiped.

A free alternative is Toolwiz Time Freeze (http://www.toolwiz.com/en/products/toolwiz-time-freeze/). For others, just google "deep freeze alternatives".

• Webroot has worked great for me, very lightweight -- and good protection.

• PwnerPwner Member

@varwww said:
    Avast free and Mbam premium & I keep resetting my firewall every few days.

Nothing personal against you, but this is exactly why I kept scrolling down the comments on this thread. It shows just how paranoid some people are willing to be in order to feel secure.

I myself use Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 Partition on a Macbook 2007. MSE is lightweight and gets the job done, whatever it misses, I catch. As for the Mac OS side, meh I don't feel the need for it yet.

• I don't use any anti-virus. I scan with Malware Bytes every few months and nothing ever shows up. I don't need to waste resources if I don't have to.

• @TheCTS said:
    I don't use any anti-virus. I scan with Malware Bytes every few months and nothing ever shows up. I don't need to waste resources if I don't have to.

you must be working for geeksquad :) on windows, basic antivirus is a must! naked windows just brings trouble later

• Security Essentials on XP, 7, 8. Linux, None!

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited April 2014

> @Pwner

MS Security Essentials is utter crap in my case. Its lightweight I know but it doesnt detect the rats and backdoors I tested on it long time back. Only MBam seems to be saving my ass all the time. I run Windows XP on a Virtual Machine without an antivirus for testing and transfer files to and fro via a shared folder and the default Windows Firewall is extremely poor. Even the corporates and banks in my country dont trust it and use a dedicated firewall. I dont have enough cash to buy something like Avast Premium and I dont want to get free Avast Premium by referring them to people in their referral program. Hence I monitor my firewall once in a while to check if any new applications(from that shared folder b/w Win XP) are added and clean it up.

From my experience of cleaning up PC's, the default MS Firewall and MS Security Essentials are totally useless.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited April 2014

@varwww said:
    Its lightweight I know but it doesnt detect the rats and backdoors I tested on it long time back. Only MBam seems to be saving my ass all the time. I run Windows XP on a Virtual Machine without an antivirus for testing and transfer files to and fro via a shared folder and the default Windows Firewall is extremely poor. Even the corporates and banks in my country dont trust it and use a dedicated firewall.

Yeah, nevermind what I said earlier. You don't have a paranoia problem, you have a downloading/browsing problem. I don't know anyone else who could share the same experience as you.

• soda said: AV software is only designed for people who dont know what they are doing on their systems.

Not essentially. I know a bit of what I do with system like modifying registry to change default installation path, remove unwanted start up entries manually. Even wrote on programs to monitor Registry, Autorun.inf etc. I still use antivirus.

Users may be clever than computer but users no matter how experienced tend to do errors. There are chances that you execute virus by mistake and it replicates very soon. Removing the Virus can be very tedious task and I hate to boot into Safe mode just to remove some stupid virus. Also you should know infected virus behaviour in order to remove them. Some like Win32.Sality are difficult to remove.

Saying antivirus is not needed because we know how to handle system is like I don't need to test my software because my code is perfect.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited April 2014

I think there's some merit in not needing an AV on your personal machine. Like most of you, I know what type of sites and downloads to avoid and I used to get alone fine on Windows without one most of the time. That being said I didn't have much important data and I would reformat every few months and would never run a bare Windows OS in a commercial environment, nor would I use an unprotected older version of Windows period except maybe if I was doing some personal tests or working with old software in a VM.

If you have something to protect though or if you will be held accountable for any problems, just use an AV. A lot of them are very light and still useful now.

Not using an AV isn't a badge of pride though and there aren't any reasons not to really, I'd just be dishonest to not admit the same in the past.

• I use virus protection in hopes it will catch new exploits on sites that might become infected such as Youtube and the Caphaw Trojan. Yea, I check processes, registry, msconfig startups and the like. I just can't justify not using an AV, personally.

• I use MSE on my Windows machines. My work computer is running TrendMicro Officescan (which given the hit rates, is WORSE than MSE...). I also use CommonSense (TM) and Brain (C).

• Another ESET Smart Security user here.

• PeZzyPeZzy Member

@Mark_R said:
    Just a question to all malwarebyte users,

Don't you get tired of their IP blocking system?

Right-click on the Systray icon and select Add to Ignore List. Very easy.

I use Emsisoft Anti-Malware + MBAM Pro.

• sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited April 2014

Superantispyware antimalware-bytes and avg free though eset is better than avg will change it soon! Also ccleaner along with these though not exactly anti virus but helps along with them.

• just MSE

• AcacyAcacy Member

using avast internet security for my windows

• cassacassa Member

None, running Linux. I'm running Windows in a VM sometimes

• gave avast internet security now a shot, will stay with it ..^

• None

• FollyFolly Member
    edited June 2014

Avira Anrivirus

• Avast +ashampoo

• AcacyAcacy Member

im using avast is only

• none

mac os x ftw :D

• OSX is your best antivirus software..... : - )
    I am always recommending AVG, for it provides protection good enough with no costs.
    NOD32 is good, but since it costs money, we are no friends anymore.(Yes, frigging Chinese :D)