Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A question about load balanced round robin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A question about load balanced round robin

jvnadrjvnadr Member

Is it possible to setup a round robin balancing infrastructure for streaming server with specific load to each server?

Example: I have 5 servers witch I want to share load, with the same content. So, I set up round robin to automatically chose the next server, in every request.

Is it possible to have a way to meter the active users of each server, so, if this limit is reached, round robin dns goes to another server?

E.g., every server has 100 active/concurrent streaming video viewers capacity limit. RR pushes clients to server 1, next to 2, next to 3 and on, and then when to server 5, next request goes to 1 again and so long. In this example, there is no way to determine if a server has reached its capacity, because some of the users are actively watching and some others, not. So, if we say that server 2 has 100 active viewers and server 3 only 60 (because 40 has stopped viewing the stream), RR will send after server 1 next user to server 2, there will be no more bandwidth to serve and the system will hang same time that next server has a lot of capacity left over...

Any help/suggestions/tutorials?

Thanks!

Comments