Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will anyone colo a RPi? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will anyone colo a RPi?

13»

Comments

• @titanicsaled said: by preloading the hard drive with every operating system in its own partition

That's not really feasible for both technical and logistical reasons.

Doesn't the darn thing do PXE booting? If so put gpxe on the SD card and rock and roll.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

Tried booting into a USB HD, seems to get stuck at SCSI at the USB Drive, despite the fact its just booted from it.

Weirdly, the light of the RPi to signal whether its on looks like its connected to the USB Port, so when thats powered the power also powers the light.

However, since my USB HUB is powered, its always on even when the RPi is disconnected from the mains.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I am so jealous! Mine came Monday to Laredo, and today will be on my hands :D

• Turning off the RPi by USB is going to be harder then I thought. My Desktops USB HUB supports setting power levels, however the RPi dosen't identify itself as anything, just draws power. Basically the CPU has no idea its connected, since its not addressed.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Daniel said: Turning off the RPi by USB is going to be harder then I thought. My Desktops USB HUB supports setting power levels, however the RPi dosen't identify itself as anything, just draws power. Basically the CPU has no idea its connected, since its not addressed.

Just the the GPIO of your server (if we talk about other Raspberry Pi), and connect it to a relay.

• Got it to boot into USB, the problem was the .img's available for download have an old RPi firmware that has an issue with USB drives.

Used https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update and now chain boots fine.

Thanked by 1Deor
  • DeorDeor Member

Thanks for the USB boot and firmware info, i'll try this out on mine later!
    Do you find the performance better from the USB drive? I did start a thread about benchmarking SD cards on the Pi forum but no one was interested.

• DeorDeor Member

Sweet :)