Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ Default Storage Changed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ Default Storage Changed

Not sure what update caused this or when, but the latest vzctl package update changes the storage default from simfs to ploop.

You may be in for a surprise when things go screwy if you don't have ploop support enabled in solusvm.

Fix is setting VE_LAYOUT="simfs" in /etc/vz/vz.conf. No vz service restart needed.

I checked openvz.org and nothing was posted regarding this change.

Just giving everyone a heads up as this screwed with us a bit.

Thanked by 1NickM

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2014

It was posted in the vzctl ChangeLog - ploop is the default for vzctl version 4.7.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited April 2014

So Solus just blindly uses the latest versions of OVZ-related tools?

The changes were in the changelog and release e-mail. You may want to subscribe to the OVZ "announce" mailing list.

http://openvz.org/Download/vzctl/4.7/changes

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member
    edited April 2014

I think this may have an interesting impact as the ploop container doesn't auto shrink down when the customer uses less space, as per one of our techs two weeks ago. Maybe that's changed but I doubt it. e.g. Someone doing a 40GB sized dd to disk will result in the ploop expanding, but not being able to be reclaimed by the host when the file is deleted by the user. With the amount that LET loves to DD, this could be fun.

edit: just clarifying, this doesn't affect us and we don't use solus.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Incero

More sophisticated format module is keeping the translation table and is able to dynamically grow and shrink the image file.

Not sure if it shrinks automatically or if it manually has to be done, however it looks like it can be shrunk.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

Maybe that's in the new release? If so, cool. Wasn't auto shrinking when we tested whatever the latest was 2 weeks ago.

• @Microlinux said:
    So Solus just blindly uses the latest versions of OVZ-related tools?

The changes were in the changelog and release e-mail. You may want to subscribe to the OVZ "announce" mailing list.

http://openvz.org/Download/vzctl/4.7/changes

No, we have auto-updating on servers in general. Though I would think a change like this would be in a bigger announcement. I might not be the only one who got caught by this.

• It doesn't look like it's automatic, but maybe something that can be put into cron or whenever host disk space is getting low:
    http://openvz.org/Man/ploop.8#balloon_discard

• @Incero said:
    I think this may have an interesting impact as the ploop container doesn't auto shrink down when the customer uses less space, as per one of our techs two weeks ago. Maybe that's changed but I doubt it. e.g. Someone doing a 40GB sized dd to disk will result in the ploop expanding, but not being able to be reclaimed by the host when the file is deleted by the user. With the amount that LET loves to DD, this could be fun.

edit: just clarifying, this doesn't affect us and we don't use solus.

Its not exactly just solus. Its the fact that vzctl create uses ploop and messed with our setup. So its more of a vz issue in general, but I suspect solusvm may have some issues with ploop disabled.

• AFAIK Solus isn't behaving nicely with 4.7. We had to downgrade to 4.6.1 until they patch it.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@SkylarM said:
    AFAIK Solus isn't behaving nicely with 4.7. We had to downgrade to 4.6.1 until they patch it.

What's wrong with it? We have it on at least one node.

• pcfreak30 said: Though I would think a change like this would be in a bigger announcement.

It is a major change, but I'm not sure how they can make it "bigger" than explicitly including it in the release notes and sending out a notice to the mailing list.

Situations such as this are why blind updating is generally not a good idea in a server environment.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited April 2014

@Nick_A said:
    What's wrong with it? We have it on at least one node.

Was having issues with Solus provisioning anything with vzctl 4.7. Solus troubleshooted it and insists it's related to vzctl 4.7. Downgraded to 4.6.1 and haven't had any issues with provisioning. The issue was regardless if we had ploop enabled or not. Could have been an isolated issue.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited April 2014

@Jack said:
    Yum install fixed it.

We had done that, it was weird. I'll fiddle with it more.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I see it now - guess the only node using 4.7 hasn't added any VPSs yet.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2014

I'm running 4.7 and I added: VE_LAYOUT="simfs" in /etc/vz/vz.conf

In SolusVM ploop is disabled.

Seems all is ok... Anybody has any issue?

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Up!