Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New PHP vulnerability when using mod_cgi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New PHP vulnerability when using mod_cgi

vldvld Member
edited May 2012 in General

http://www.php.net/archive/2012.php#id2012-05-03-1

tl;dr: if you're using mod_cgi (not fcgi), adding ?-s to a PHP page may reveal its source code.

Thanked by 1mrm2005

Comments

• SpencerSpencer Member

@vld said: tl;dr: if you're using mod_cgi (not fcgi), adding ?-s to a PHP page may reveal its source code.

That is not good at all!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

This is as bad as when vBulletin let you type "database" in the FAQ and it showed you the config.php file. LoL

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • NateN34NateN34 Member

"has gone unnoticed for at least 8 years."

• yomeroyomero Member

@NateN34 said: "has gone unnoticed for at least 8 years."

YEs is the best part.

But these days having an install with CGI is strange...

(btw Dreamhost allow a cgi mode... I was doing some modification in an account ¬¬)

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

Not fastcgi?
    I tried on lighty CGI/FastCGI 5.3.2 but no luck to see the source

• yomeroyomero Member

@NanoG6 said: Not fastcgi?

No. Read the description.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@yomero said: No. Read the description.

what description

• beardbeard Member

This is not a bug, it's clearly a feature.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited May 2012

@NanoG6 said: Not fastcgi?

I tried on lighty CGI/FastCGI 5.3.2 but no luck to see the source

Don't remember where, but it is not vulnerable.

• Apparently the PHP developers have known this one for months.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@NateN34 said: Also check this out: http://d204373.pem.kpn.net/applications/phpBB/config.php?-s

Poor guy.......someone already got to it and wiped out his blog. With those credentials, you can login full access to his PhpMyAdmin.

oucchhh.. mann that's serious :-/

• NickMNickM Member
    edited May 2012

This isn't Hack Forums, guys. Can we not post that kind of stuff here?

EDIT: @NateN34. Obviously posting security warnings is good. Posting "Hey, here's a server that's vulnerable".... not so much.

• SpencerSpencer Member

What does this exactly do that makes the code display?

• @PytoHost said: What does this exactly do that makes the code display?

My guess is it stops the PHP executing it, so just displays it in the browser instead.

• vldvld Member

It passes the -s argument to the PHP CGI process. So basically it becomes (incomplete, pseudo example) php scriptname.php -s
    From php --help:
    -s Output HTML syntax highlighted source.

• subigosubigo Member

lol @ the guy from FL. (66.177.11.109) who has decided to go around testing everyone on this board for the vulnerability. Unless someone is using CentOS 4 or some other ancient setup, you're not going to find anything.

• @subigo I had 213.197.226.1 try it on freevps.us

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

I tried it on a few sites of friends and found one affected, warned him and now fixed :)

• komokomo Member

who still uses php as cgi? I thought that only windows-lamp-test installations do/did that.

• 1q11q1 Member
    edited May 2012

@komo said: who still uses php as cgi? I thought that only windows-lamp-test installations do/did that.

Yeah, I have tried to find vulnerable sites but the result is there are hardly anyone using mod_cgi

• taiprestaipres Member

Looks like the official fix isn't effective.....

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/12/05/05/1435209/recently-exposed-php-holes-official-fix-ineffective?utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed

wiredmikey writes "On Wednesday, a remote code execution vulnerability in PHP was accidentally exposed to the Web, prompting fears that it may be used to target vulnerable websites on a massive scale. The bug itself was traced back to 2004, and came to light during a recent CTF competition. 'When PHP is used in a CGI-based setup (such as Apache's mod_cgid), the php-cgi receives a processed query string parameter as command line arguments which allows command-line switches, such as -s, -d or -c to be passed to the php-cgi binary, which can be exploited to disclose source code and obtain arbitrary code execution,' a CERT explains. PHP developers pushed a fix for the flaw, resulting in the release of PHP 5.3.12 and 5.4.2, but as it turns out it didn't actually remove the vulnerability."

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member

more info here (the reporters of the bug):
    http://eindbazen.net/2012/05/php-cgi-advisory-cve-2012-1823/

• specklspeckl Member

I have a client running CentOS 3 with mod_cgi. I've alerted them of the issue. They probably won't care. Some clients never want anything changed.

• Haha, it only appears on FaceBooks front page.

• yomeroyomero Member

@NanoG6 said: what description

I was talking about this

A large number of sites run PHP as either an Apache module through mod_php or using php-fpm under nginx. Neither of these setups are vulnerable to this. Straight shebang-style CGI also does not appear to be vulnerable.

In the description

Dafuq!!! Facebook :S

• AsadAsad Member

Haha love the Facebook joke :)

• yomeroyomero Member

@AsadHaider said: Haha love the Facebook joke :)

Someone apply pls!

• 1q11q1 Member
    edited May 2012

haha nice way to hire security engineers :)
    FB developers have known the hole before PHP developers did???

• debugdebug Member

@1q1 said: FB developers have known the hole before PHP developers did???

It was just added.