Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible for a Xen HVM or KVM guest to boot into the BIOS screen?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rchurchrchurch Member
edited May 2012 in Help

The clock is wrongly set and the time always needs to be resynced after boot up.

It seems that guest are set to Fast boot and it makes it virtually impossible to fix BIOS related issues

Comments

• flyfly Member

yeah i've noticed this with a lot of providers and i'm not really sure why they don't sync the hardware clock. I just set ntpd at boot.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member

is it possible for just use hwclock command?

for your question, i guess not.. :D

• @rchurch said: Is it possible for a Xen HVM or KVM guest to boot into the BIOS screen?

Not the conventional PC BIOS, because there isn't really one that's client accessible (its's mostly config files on the host node). Short of things like bootup choice, PXE, etc., you can't.

Open a ticket with the provider...

• rchurchrchurch Member

I guess that is a plus point for VMWare.

It is Windows 2008 server so I guess I have to dig up the registry settings and apply them.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@quirkyquark said: Not the conventional PC BIOS

Depending on the KVM version and the BIOS the host uses (there are LOTS of versions and flavours): Yes, you can enter the BIOS.
    But you can't control much there.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

I just put ntpdate -u some.pool.ntp.org server in /etc/rc.local and run ntpd on KVM vm's

• @William said: Yes, you can enter the BIOS.

Sure, I was only going from what I have seen as a client, which is usually Bochs/seabios with a key to choose boot device and/or interrupt PXE bootup :)

• nabonabo Member

@rchurch said: It is Windows 2008 server so I guess I have to dig up the registry settings and apply them.

Maybe this helps: http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm ?