Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft ending offer of free custom domains for email service - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft ending offer of free custom domains for email service

2»

Comments

• Got lucky and found a domain with 50 acc Google Apps Free which dropped yesterday, probably gonna use it for a while. For who don't use Google, I can also recommend Yandex, been using them for a while.

Thanked by 1mee2
  • LazzeLazze Member

@Pwner said:
    Leave it to Microsoft to put themselves into more hate. First they impose Windows 8 on everyone and try to kill off Windows 7 licenses (that failed and now Windows 7 is being sold again), then they terminate support for XP (though only 20% of the current XP users will actually upgrade), and now they cut off the custom domain hosting and will migrate the current accounts into Outlook.poo.

Way to go MS, this is why people don't like buying your services anymore. You keep trying to make changes that consumers don't support, and then continue imposing those failed changes in hopes of making yourself a better company.

I get that it's popular to hate on Microsoft, but I don't think you are being fair here. All of those things you mentioned are things every company does and have to do to make money. A company like Google is just as bad as Microsoft, if not worse, but people don't seem to care because they are Google.

Don't get me wrong, I am very disappointed that they did what they did with the custom domains, but I see why they are doing it. Google did the same thing for a reason. I have enjoyed the service very much while it lasted, I would go as far as to say it is the best mail service I have ever used. You make it sound like no one actually uses Microsoft services, when in reality a huge amount of people actually enjoy them.

I am not trying to defend Microsoft here, I just wanted to point out that they are no worse than any other company of its size.

Thanked by 2mpkossen seaeagle
  • I thought this would happen, in fact, someone around here said that Microsoft will eventually drop custom domains soon. They were right. ;(

• Damn.. I have a boat load of emails being forwarded though my custom domains.. Now I have to change all of my subscriptions to my new email :(

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Google does it, a few people are like "darn, this sucks, well, let's move to something else" Microsoft does it "omg Microsoft sucks Windows 8 is horrible I love XP what a big shitty corporation"...

Is the goal of a corporation to give you free stuff, or to make money? Is it feasible for any company to support a product from 13 years? Is Microsoft trying hard to solve its fragmentation issues by updating things like Outlook.com, Bing, Skype, and Windows (8) to work well together?

• XuHiXuHi Member

@namhuy said:
    wtf seriously ... google, now micro$oft. Same here I do not like to play with mailserver. Anyone using something else?

I am using Hotmail at the moment but Zoho Mail allow upto 5 free users to host email with a custom domain.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited April 2014

rm_ said:this just demonstrates once more how you can't rely on any third-party "cloud services". Even hosted by "reliable" giant companies like Microsoft and Google.

Google Apps and Office 365 are both extremely reliable. All this demonstrates is that you shouldn't expect a free service to be offered forever. That always has and always will be the nature of free services. If you aren't OK with that, you should use a paid service.

• mpkossen said: Nooooo :-( I actually liked Custom Domains...

What are the alternatives besides setting up your own mail server?

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/23654/any-free-email-service-which-allows-custom-domain#latest

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • mee2mee2 Member

@introducial Got lucky and found a domain with 50 acc Google Apps Free which dropped yesterday, probably gonna use it for a while. For who don't use Google, I can alsor recommend Yandex, been using them for a while

But how will you get into the admin account? They no longer support recovery using cname. Is it not?

• Well, for me Microsoft and Google are huge hypocrites. If we go back to the old days, they needed the support from us when hotmail was "just" hotmail (I even remember their old theme which looked like made with publisher), then they got big and started giving "beta tester badges" to anyone who accepted using their services while they kept crashing and randomly changing..

BUT that was never free, and that's why I think they are hypocrites, what about all the annoying ads we all have to bare with? they always got a huge benefit from our usage of their "free services", google ads wouldn't be google ads without all the gmail users that started distributing their "gmail invitations" to friends and family.

I feel a bit nostalgic talking 'bout this stuff and can't avoid feeling insulted by them. Every time I use their "free search engine", I get all the sites I transit full of ads about the things I've googled so no, their shit is not free and they should be thankful with us.

• @gattytto free is only the cheese in the mousetrap.

Thanked by 2Pepo netomx
  • @gattytto - sense of entitlement? you can still use free windows live mail just not with new personal domains. you can still have as many @outlook.com or @live.com and other domains as you can poke a stick at - you just cant have it all.

• So does it mean my [email protected] will be [email protected]?

• no... but if you want [email protected] you cant have it.

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • This is so expected, just not this soon

• @mee2 said:
    But how will you get into the admin account? They no longer support recovery using cname. Is it not?

They still do support it.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Dylan said: All this demonstrates is that you shouldn't expect a free service to be offered forever. That always has and always will be the nature of free services. If you aren't OK with that, you should use a paid service.

As said above a service isn't truly free when you are in effect paying for it by allowing them to show ads in your account, and allowing to traverse all your E-Mail (wtf people) to build a profile on you so they can show you more relevant (and higher-paying for them!) ads.

Also "a paid service" does not insure you much against anything either; it is not unheard of companies "end-of-life'ing" even their paid services, or reducing the number of tiers, or changing features around, so that e.g. some portion of customers now has to pay much more to enjoy the same functions they had before.

• LazzeLazze Member

@rm_ said:
    As said above a service isn't truly free when you are in effect paying for it by allowing them to show ads in your account, and allowing to traverse all your E-Mail (wtf people) to build a profile on you so they can show you more relevant (and higher-paying for them!) ads.

As much as I want that to be the case, it is simply not true. A free service is free if you don't pay for it, ads don't affect that. By that logic, I shouldn't be paying for my train ticket since ads are displayed for me in the train anyway.

Ads are everywhere, free service or not. I pay for the TV channels I watch, yet 40% of the content is ads, go figure.

Thanked by 1Dylan
    edited April 2014

Lazze said: By that logic, I shouldn't be paying for my train ticket since ads are displayed for me in the train anyway.

That's a silly comparison, the costs of transporting you in a train aren't low enough to be covered by the ad revenue, but the costs of having just one more mail account and some miniscule amount of storage, can very much be covered by that. Or do you imply they provide you "a free service" just out of charity? Nope of course not, those "free" accounts are profitable. It's only when they decide they are not profitable enough, that's when they shut you down. But the same can happen on a paid service, the only recourse you have is that instead of a service shutting down, you may "only" get a price hike for the next payment term (yay, right?).

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Can't wait for the next version of VestaCP which will include a mail cluster. Then I will host all my emails myself. :)

• LazzeLazze Member

@rm_ said:
    That's a silly comparison, the costs of transporting you in a train aren't low enough to be covered by the ad revenue, but the costs of having just one more mail account and some miniscule amount of storage, can very much be covered by that. Or do you imply they provide you "a free service" just out of charity? Nope of course not, those "free" accounts are profitable. It's only when they decide they are not profitable enough, that's when they shut you down. But the same can happen on a paid service, the only recourse you have is that instead of a service shutting down, you may "only" get a price hike for the next payment term (yay, right?).

The comparison is perfectly legitimate. Who is to say that the cost of running a custom domain service that not very many people are using (compared to their standard mail service) is profitable from just running ads?
    It's up to Microsoft to decide if it's profitable enough, and if it isn't they have their right to discontinue the service from a pure business perspective. The point still stands though, the service is free no matter how you look at it.

If running the custom domains thing was indeed extremely inexpensive for them to do, I am sure it would be of their best interest to keep it running so they could stuff ads down your throat. Not allowing people to sign up at that point would be crazy since they don't actually lose anything.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • @MikHo said:
    Can't wait for the next version of VestaCP which will include a mail cluster. Then I will host all my emails myself. :)

Same, Also, it would be great if they update their roundcube package, kinda outdated still

• Its sad that Microsoft has ended custom domain support for one of the most widely used free email service and now asking Outlook users to use Office 365 which is not free so many users like me are searching for free alternatives to Outlook. I googled for free alternatives to Outlook and found a blog where they have mentioned that using Banckle.Email App you can get 5 free custom domain mailboxes and also offers cloud based Email service also which i found a better solution right now.

hudsonlane said: using Banckle.Email App

So when Microsoft and Google are closing down their custom domain offers, your suggestion is to switch to some shoddy company no one has ever heard of? Because yeah, that's going to be so much more reliable long-term.

Instead, take this step from MS as the final trigger to just set up your own mail server -- and not depend on anyone's "good will" (or speaking frankly, business model) for whether or not you'll be able to get your E-Mail tomorrow.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • nerouxneroux Member

rm_ said: Instead, take this step from MS as the final trigger to just set up your own mail server -- and not depend on anyone's "good will"

To be completely fair though, this does not only require the technical knowledge but also the financial investment of such a server.

I still dont understand why Google and Microsoft do not allow to have a personal domain linked to a regular mail account with a few custom aliases.

• @neroux said:
    I still dont understand why Google and Microsoft do not allow to have a personal domain linked to a regular mail account with a few custom aliases.

This is LowEndTalk. There are numerous ready-made one-click scripts to install a mail server, and there's always cPanel if you're really that hopeless. And as per the price; again: LowEndTalk.

Sure, there are some that can't afford $10/year for something that could be free in some cases, but your domain already costs some money anyways ($10/year, same price...) ; so it's not as if a person with email on a custom domain is completely broke.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • nerouxneroux Member

GoodHosting said: This is LowEndTalk. There are numerous ready-made one-click scripts to install a mail server, and there's always cPanel if you're really that hopeless. And as per the price; again: LowEndTalk.

Sure, there are some that can't afford $10/year for something that could be free in some cases, but your domain already costs some money anyways ($10/year, same price...) ; so it's not as if a person with email on a custom domain is completely broke.

Well, my comment was not only in references to the services offered here but rather a general statement.

It wouldnt be difficult to implement above's scenario and would give everyone an easy way to have a custom domain, but at the same time still make it unreasonable for companies to use. Unless of course Google and Microsoft insist of having @gmail.com and @outlook.com everywhere ;).