Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heartbleed SSL claim
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Heartbleed SSL claim

Given recent heartbleed vulnerability, i am curious if anyone submitted claim to ssl provider?

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member

@haphan said:
    Given recent heartbleed vulnerability, i am curious if anyone submitted claim to ssl provider?

Claim for damages? Or claim to get new ssl keys?

• I still have that Centriohost certificate. I wonder if AlphaSSL would help me out on that.

• If anyone is using hostgator, I'd submit a ticket instead of using the live chat. There's been reports that the people manning the live chat are refusing reissues.

• @Corey Please check #805958

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2014

If you bought your SSL cert from IPXcore, we'll re-generate your cert on request because of this situation.

If you bought your SSL cert from Centrio, and don't want to potentially endure them calling you a cunt to have your SSL cert regenerated because of Heartbleed, here's a coupon for $1 off your SSL cert from IPXcore: LOLCENTRIO

• @Damian said:
    If you bought your SSL cert from IPXcore, we'll re-generate your cert on request because of this situation.

If you bought your SSL cert from Centrio, and don't want to potentially endure them calling you a cunt to have your SSL cert regenerated because of Heartbleed, here's a coupon for $1 off your SSL cert from IPXcore: LOLCENTRIO

Still 41$, too much.

• Theres some cheaper Ukrainian CA, should be in all browser also (Ukrnames IIRC)

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

We provide free wildcard SSL's with all our VPS. http://vmbox.co

• @tr1cky said:
    Still 41$, too much.

Where are you buying them for less?

• @Damian said:
    Where are you buying them for less?

I get them at startssl.com (unlimited wildcard ssl certs for 59.90$ / 2 years)

• Yeah. I got 8 SSL certs from StartSSL. I want to revoke them and have them re-issued, BUT StartSSL isn't doing free revocations. They want $25 per certificate. SO, anyone know a good place to get cheap wildcard certificates?

• tchentchen Member

FWIW, you can reissue startssl wildcards without a revoke. Just use a different primary CN. It won't solve the issue of MITM with your old cert, but at least you can move forward securely.

• Corey said: Claim for damages? Or claim to get new ssl keys?

Damage claim. For me this bug should be eligible for a $10,000 damage claim.

• Jono20201Jono20201 Member
    edited April 2014

@haphan said:
    Claim for damages? Or claim to get new ssl keys?

If you can prove damaged was caused? Eg. stolen info?

• dnwkdnwk Member

You cannot claim damange as it is not caused by CA provider

Thanked by 2Maounique Gunter
  • Jono20201 said: If you can prove damaged was caused? Eg. stolen info?

dnwk said: You cannot claim damange as it is not caused by CA provider

Provided that someone can prove their info has been stolen or other means of damage happened, can they claim CA provider?

• Maximum_VPSMaximum_VPS Member
    edited April 2014

@haphan no

Thanked by 3Maounique marrco Gunter
  • CoreyCorey Member

@albertdb said:
    Corey Please check #805958

Please pm me next time, I had no clue what you were talking about - I had to read the whole thread and then it dawned on me you were talking about a ticket in our system.

• CoreyCorey Member

haphan said: Provided that someone can prove their info has been stolen or other means of damage happened, can they claim CA provider?

It's not the CA providers fault that you used openssl.

• elijahpaulelijahpaul Member
    edited April 2014

Corey said: It's not the CA providers fault that you used openssl.

If it were, the CA's would be financially broken in less than a day! I've yet to hear of a single case were a claimant successfully claimed on an SSL guarantee for anything!

• /facepalm

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MunMun Member

@Microlinux said:
    /facepalm

That isn't enough facing, do it to your desk instead. It should provide much better short term memory loss.

Mun

• @VMbox said:
    We provide free wildcard SSL's with all our VPS. http://vmbox.co

So i can get a alpha wildcard SSL for 6 usd?

any limitations on the wildcard cert?

• Corey said: It's not the CA providers fault that you used openssl.

Time to switch to GNUTLS.

@cloromorpho said:
    any limitations on the wildcard cert?

You can get one for $3 if you ask me for the 50% off promo. :)

They're supposed to be used on our network only, although I know people use them elsewhere and they've never been any problems.

• @VMbox, oh my.

can i have codez?

@cloromorpho said:
    VMbox, oh my.

can i have codez?

CJTNL2T059

Phoenix nodes are all in process of being upgraded to SSD cached, there might be a hour or so downtime on each node over next few days while we migrate.

To request a free SSL just submit a ticket after purchase. :)

Thanked by 1cloromorpho
  • CoreyCorey Member

@VMbox said:
    They're supposed to be used on our network only, although I know people use them elsewhere and they've never been any problems.

Very nice - please pm me.

• tchentchen Member

@VMbox said:

Be nice to your upstream SingleHop and at least pretend they're enforced.

One of your clients is giving away SSLs to sites not hosted on your network
    for free which is probably against your TOS

His domain is vmbox.co

They advertise the following IP on there hosting offers:
    Test IP: 108.178.61.34
    Test File: http://phx.vmbox.co/100mb.test

May help identify the client.

Ha, nice abuse report. We're allowed to give SSL's free, we offer them with our VPS. We can't control if people move them elsewhere. We only have servers with SH, so where else are we offering them?