Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone interested in a LowEndChallenge? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone interested in a LowEndChallenge?

2»

Comments

• @KuJoe I will take the offer on the 16mb ;) let's see how low we can go.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

whats the prize?

• NickMNickM Member

Make sure to limit disk space too :) I would definitely want to try this challenge

• I quite doubt if 10mb for a blog is possible. How about modifying the challenge to just have the least memory foot print for a blog?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@vampireJ I think its possible, i just need time =)

• NickMNickM Member

@vampireJ said: I quite doubt if 10mb for a blog is possible.

Definitely possible. It entirely depends on the definition of "blog", of course. Obviously, it's probably not going to possible to do something as complex as Wordpress. The challenge will have to include a list of required features.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

Just an idea: Could write a system to use the disk drive as ram and get wordpress to run off of that XD

• jcalebjcaleb Member

maybe we write something usable for production, than can run on ultra low. and maybe package it as an image for clients? i.e. as selling point for buying 16mb box for people just want a blog.

• yomeroyomero Member

@BlueVM said: Just an idea: Could write a system to use the disk drive as ram and get wordpress to run off of that XD

Is called swap

/troll off

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member

@lawl said: is that possible on any of the listed hosts here, was far as i understand it still depends if the host is patched?

mmm, not sure, but try to ask @VMPort :P

i had 2 node with patch ready, but i set the kernel back to default because they were run crazy.. :( and i don't have a time to manage those issue.

• @Mon5t3r

Thank you for the mention but its not something that we can offer at the moment, i have not done anywhere near enough reading up on the subject.

Its not something i would add to a production node without a lot of thought.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

For everyone saying it cant be done, just worth pointing out, a blog is not a CMS, it just usually has one :)

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited May 2012

Just write a small app to generate 'content' from .txt based 'posts' and 'include' a header and footer, in static html.

Something like this already does exist; although it's not as lowend as the requirements:

cc: http://quadpoint.org/projects/infinitemachine

For the web server, you can consider node.js, should take a few lines of code at max.

//Challenge done, and no, I cba.

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited May 2012

node.js needs more than 10MB - complete overkill. Why using node.js when you can write a webserver in C using just a few more lines?

• NickMNickM Member

I think perhaps there should be several categories:

• Lowest total memory usage
    • Most complete within the RAM guidelines (most features / closest to a full CMS)
    • Most technically creative (judged by the community, of course)
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

best features within 10mb

• node.js needs more than 10MB - complete overkill. Why using node.js when you can write a webserver in C using just a few more lines?

True, though, socket handling is a different set of skill than 'txt generation'. If you can do that, all the more power to you :P

• Cheat sheet ;)

# uname -a
    Linux debsid 2.6.32-11-pve #1 SMP Wed Apr 11 07:17:05 CEST 2012 i686 GNU/Linux

# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:             8          7          0          0          0          4
    -/+ buffers/cache:          2          5
    Swap:            0          0          0

# ps aux
    USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
    root         1  0.0  8.4   2124   696 ?        Ss   17:10   0:00 init [2]
    root         2  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    17:10   0:00 [kthreadd/102]
    root         3  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    17:10   0:00 [khelper/102]
    root        41  0.0  0.1    104    12 ?        S    17:10   0:00 [init-logger]
    root       475  0.0  5.7   2176   468 ?        Ss   17:10   0:00 /usr/sbin/dropbear -d /etc/dropbear/dropbe
    www-data   484  0.0  5.4   3652   444 ?        Ss   17:10   0:00 /usr/bin/webfsd -k /var/run/webfs/webfsd.p
    root       501  0.1 15.3   2796  1256 ?        Ss   17:10   0:00 /usr/sbin/dropbear -d /etc/dropbear/dropbe
    root       502  0.0 12.8   2500  1056 ?        Ss   17:10   0:00 /usr/sbin/dropbear -d /etc/dropbear/dropbe
    root       503  0.0  5.9   1776   488 ?        S    17:10   0:00 dash -c /usr/lib/sftp-server
    root       504  0.0  7.9   1952   652 ?        S    17:10   0:00 /usr/lib/sftp-server
    root       506  0.0  6.6   1776   544 pts/0    Ss   17:10   0:00 -dash
    root       573  0.0 11.5   2652   948 pts/0    R+   17:11   0:00 ps aux

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Jekyll should do it well :)

• @quirkyquark disable the SFTP server, wasting RAM!!!

• I'm in. It sounds really interesting.

• sleddogsleddog Member

My Xen box serving blite.ca sits around 12 mb usage.

[root@eu:~] free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:            58         54          3          0         19         22
    -/+ buffers/cache:         12         45
    Swap:           63          0         63

In addition to nginx and php-fpm it's also running cron, exim4, klogd, syslogd and thttpd. Killing all those off would probably bring it under 10 mb....

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@sleddog said: syslogd

syslog-ng?

• I have ran wordpress (with mysql) on a 24mb ram +0mb vswap OpenVZ VPS (But I did need more memory for the installation)

• @sleddog said: My Xen box serving blite.ca sits around 12 mb usage.

Well, since the physical is 64MB but you only see 58, we're discounting the 8MB for the kernel ;)

OpenVZ is even more of a crutch -- notice in the free/ps paste I posted that the RSS total sums up to way more than the "used" memory. And yes, free on the host node shows that the container is actually only using the claimed amount of memory.

The only true way to do this is on Xen HVM or KVM. Bring on the custom kernels! :P

• sleddogsleddog Member

@quirkyquark said: Well, since the physical is 64MB but you only see 58, we're discounting the 8MB for the kernel

Good point, even with your bad math :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @sleddog: haha :D my only excuse is that sleep deprivation puts my mind into power-of-2 rounding mode :p

I used to prefer thttpd as my impromptu web server, but it leaks like crazy upon multIple connections; so I switched to webfs.

Now, with OVZ being the predominant VPS virt, I think we should just accept its quirks and move on with the challenge. BUT AFAIK the .18 and .32 kernels account for RAM used differently, even if you set burst or vswap to zero. So ideally it would be something like one or two providers graciously offering to host the competition, eg @bluevm has done.

The other bit is that setting up a low mem vps is easy when you start off with more mem so that pkg/repo management tools work. Apt-get/dpkg does not like 16MB, that's for sure. Setting things up manually would be somewhat painful and detract from the purpose of the competition. I don't know if you can adjust the RAM for OVZ as a client though, short of a ticket or a custom SolusVM option.

• bretonbreton Member
    edited May 2012

bump. Any updates, OP?

• lawllawl Member
    edited May 2012

not forgotten. just really busy right now. will get back to this soon. sorry guys.
    (also i'd like to put "sage" in the e-mail field >.< bumping sucks)
    PS: (headcrash on two drives. raid broken, no backup. busy.)