Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Failover setup advice needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Failover setup advice needed

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Friends, I need a failover setup, ie. if primary server is down for some reason, site is served automatically from backup server which is replica of primary server through regular syncing etc.

Now issue is client need same IP on both server as his webapplication make request to another server and if I use DNS failover, then backup server will have new IP and it won't work for the client.

So what kind of solution I can provide here ?

Comments

• wychwych Member

Lower your TTL and then you can manually switch, if not then look for a HA platform.

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited April 2014

I think multiple A records should work.

eg: yourwebsite.com has A records of 192.168.2.100 and 192.168.2.101

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm unsure.

• @GIANT_CRAB said:

Multiple A records can't check your server's status. IP's are selected randomly. So that's not a good idea. OP needs HA for this. Or lower the TTL for example 300 seconds and he can do the change manually.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • AbydonAbydon Member
    edited April 2014

@GIANT_CRAB said:

It works unreliably.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5319649/using-dns-for-failover-using-multiple-a-records

@Saahib said:
    Friends, I need a failover setup, ie. if primary server is down for some reason, site is served automatically from backup server which is replica of primary server through regular syncing etc.

Now issue is client need same IP on both server as his webapplication make request to another server and if I use DNS failover, then backup server will have new IP and it won't work for the client.

So what kind of solution I can provide here ?

OVH Failover IP, Online.NET Failover IP, Hetnzer Failover IP, Amazon ELB, etc.

What the budget is is really going to determine what you can do?

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • You can set up the website on 2 servers and use some service like http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/services/dns-failover-system-monitoring/ so that it will check the primary ip and if fails automatically switch to 2nd IP

• I have used failover services from DnsMadeEasy for several years, and it's working very well. Using several servers in different DC/providers.

But I'm pretty sure that two VPS servers can't have the same public IP. And if you use DNSMadeEasy failover services, you must have at least two servers with two IPs to get it working.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@Saahib - wait till 1st of May and try our Rage4 ANY (anycast BGP gateways) which will give you HA on routing level

• ben78ben78 Member

You could probably do your own DNS failover system quite easily too... but if you just use those two boxes it won't be reliable enough..

• tchentchen Member

In addition to DNS failover, consider using a dedicated LB in front. They tend to die in less horrible ways and you'll have less of a chance of an external DNS ping monitor saying the server is up while all processes are dead.

• Would an OVH failover IP work?

• We used DNS Made Easy, have it checking a php db connection page, if the web server goes down or the db connection is lost it moves over the the backup vps and emails us. We can then manually change it back after testing the main vps.

Thanked by 1tchen
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited April 2014

@gbshouse said:
    Saahib - wait till 1st of May and try our Rage4 ANY (anycast BGP gateways) which will give you HA on routing level

I have been waiting for this, any idea what the pricing is going to be?

@FrankZ - yes :)

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • wychwych Member

@gbshouse said:
    FrankZ - yes :)

Can you share pricing? ;)

@wych - yes :)

• wychwych Member

@gbshouse said:
    wych - yes :)

Via PM or Public? ;)

@wych - ?

• wychwych Member

@gbshouse said:
    wych - ?

Just working out bandwidth costs and overall costs for the IP space, got a few ideas in mind of how I could use them, pricing isn't bad for anycast either.