Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server is blocking my IP all of the sudden
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server is blocking my IP all of the sudden

thedarkfoxthedarkfox Member
edited April 2014 in Help

For some reason my office IP keeps getting blocked for port scanning according to Monitorix. I have tried the following with no luck:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/iptables-delete-ip-address-subnet-from-linux-firewall/

I have had this VPS for over 7 months and the same IP at my office the whole time

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2014

Is it your vps that blocks you or is it blocked on node level?
    My home ip was once blocked when only running a ssh connection to my vps, fixed it by using another ssh client.

• wychwych Member

Any systems in place such as fail2ban or hulkcp?

• The vps is blocking me and now it seems to be blocking any ip that hits it more than a couple of times as pingdom just sent me an alert that my site is down but I can hit it from a vpn. I do not have fail2ban setup but something seems very wrong now

• Now nodequery says it's down but it is indeed up if I hit it through a proxy something appears to be banning IP's like crazy?

• That does sound like a fail2ban type setup since it bans after a few tries (I know the default for fail2ban is very low).

Are you sure there isn't something like it setup?

• fail2ban is not installed just zpanel and monitorix

• I wonder if zpanel comes with some kind of monitor that's similar (never used it so no idea).

• wychwych Member

@catalystium said:
    I wonder if zpanel comes with some kind of monitor that's similar (never used it so no idea).

Not checked the latest version but the one before didn't.

• Thanks all I heard back from my provider they said they re-started my csf firewall and it started working again, just curious as to why it started banning everyone for port scanning

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@thedarkfox said:
    Thanks all I heard back from my provider they said they re-started my csf firewall and it started working again, just curious as to why it started banning everyone for port scanning

Check the logs

• MunMun Member

It sounds like to me that your VPS has been compromised....

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @thedarkfox said:
    Thanks all I heard back from my provider they said they re-started my csf firewall and it started working again, just curious as to why it started banning everyone for port scanning

csf?? maybe that is your problem.. before this, I have been blocked by my vps. what I try to do is just open phpmyadmin in browser. automatically blocked.. I found that I misconfigure the csf setting..