Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proof Reading Advertisements
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proof Reading Advertisements

aubsaubs Member
edited May 2012 in General

With Chris' faux pas in mind (saying 100MB/s when he meant 100Mb/s), is it common place for LE VPS providers and likely HE VPS providers to not get their advertisements proof read before submitting them?

I know we see ads on TV that are either technically, grammatically or geographically wrong ... A prime example being Premier Inn's TV advert ... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/premier-inns-lenny-henry-ad-123801 ... That's obviously a mistake on the advertising company's part, but with LE or HE VPS providers, that's their livelihood at stake.

Comments

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Haha, so what is this about exactly?

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR

Getting your advertisements right? >_>

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited May 2012

If you tried to get anything beyond a refund when you couldnt get the 800 mbits/sec advertised, they'd probably respond with Sosumi!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Kids running lemonade stands absolutely do need solid advertisements that have been professionally written and run by at least one lawyer prior to publishing.

Thanked by 2KuJoe Jeffrey
  • DamianDamian Member

Regarding MB/mb, I usually just dispense with that completely and say "megabit". Don't have to worry about smarmy individuals "calling me out" on it then :X

• aubsaubs Member

@CVPS_Chris said: Haha, so what is this about exactly?

It is actually out of genuine interest and not a personal hit on you. Your comment merely made me think about the advertising of LE (specifically and possibly HE) VPS's. I haven't (yet) had a VPS or a dedi with you so I can't comment on your ability to provide hosting etc. I just wanted other hosts / users thoughts on the accuracy of adverts that people see for a host and if they get proof read before posting. (Nothing personal, and that is genuine).

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Damian said: Regarding MB/mb, I usually just dispense with that completely and say "megabit". Don't have to worry about smarmy individuals "calling me out" on it then :X

Agreed, I usually go with Mbit and the likes just because Mb isn't clear enough or some people try to use that as a con 'Oh I didnt capitalize that, its not 1000Mbit, its 100Mbit. No refunds!'

Francisco

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

@jarland said: Kids running lemonade stands absolutely do need solid advertisements that have been professionally written and run by at least one lawyer prior to publishing.

This was pretty funny.

That being said, we're all human and we all make mistakes. As you've pointed out, ChicagoVPS made a $60 mistake, other companies make multi-million dollar mistakes. ChicagoVPS didn't produce a TV commercial; Chris posted a quick, unformatted, thread. Sure, he could have re-read it and possibly caught the errors (sometimes you look over your own errors because you know in your head what it's supposed to say and your eyes catch it but your brain replaces it) but if I were in his shoes I wouldn't have taken the post to a 3rd party to proof read it.

This is the primary reason why I have a section in our TOS specifically for promotions in the event such a mistake occurs. :)

• aubsaubs Member

The part of MB or Mb was just an example ... I mean more in-depth that people don't get their work proof read in relation to locations, capacity, prices, descriptions etc. etc. etc.

• aubsaubs Member

I'm not knocking Chris. He was first on hand to correct it. I actually like the personal touch how he has his name in his username.

@KuJoe said: I wouldn't have taken the post to a 3rd party to proof read it.

Isn't that what friends or colleagues are for?

edited May 2012

@aubs said: Isn't that what friends or colleagues are for?

I wouldn't have wasted their time with that. I run my stuff through GMail's spell check and call it a day. ;)

• aubsaubs Member

@KuJoe said: I wouldn't have wasted their time with that.

But you're representing your business, your livelihood?? Friends and/or colleagues should want to help you with that, surely? Even posting it on IRC to get peoples' opinions first before making it public would be beneficial.

@aubs said: But you're representing your business, your livelihood??

You're implying that I get paid to do this. :P

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@KuJoe said: You're implying that I get paid to do this. :P

I think we all know you do it for the LEB groupies.

"Ooooh, KuJoe, can you show us how you post submissions on LEB? Do you really get email from Aldryic? Do you know mitgib? Can you show us a pending offer that isn't on the front page yet?"

"Maybe, baby...why don't you and your friend stop by tonight and...check my inbox."

"(squealing giggle)"

Thanked by 1MrDOS
  • KairusKairus Member

@KuJoe said: As you've pointed out, ChicagoVPS made a $60 mistake

Hm, what did I miss?

If we're talking about offers posted here on LET, there are almost always errors in them no matter who posts them.

• beardbeard Member

Add a little disclaimer to your forum posts about accuracy, like you do with emails and quotes, add it to your TOS, and call it a day