Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Critical OpenSSL vulnerability - Heartbleed (1.0.1 through 1.0.1f) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Critical OpenSSL vulnerability - Heartbleed (1.0.1 through 1.0.1f)

13»

Comments

• CentOS and RHEL backported the fix to the version of OpenSSL currently shipped with 6.5. You can tell if you have the fixed version or not by checking the build date from "openssl version -a". It should be April 8, 2014.

Thanked by 1Drehmini
  • LeeLee Veteran

A useful thread discussing the issue over on WHT, Steven at rack911 makes some useful points.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1364636

• edited April 2014

@darknyan said:
    It allows 64kb of anything in the RAM to be stolen per request.

I doubt you can get 64kb of anything in the RAM.
    However, you can get 64kb from the address space of a process that uses the vulnerable OpenSSL library.

Thanked by 2perennate Gunter
  • VPNVPN Member

@psycholyzern said:
    I checked my site..passed.. but why online.net tell me my dedi are affected?

Probably because you were.
    Are you using cPanel? If so, it was automatically updated on Tuesday when the fix was released and just needed an Apache restart.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

If you are using CentOS 5.x then you don't need to do anything.

• @OkieDoke said:
    Are you using cPanel? If so, it was automatically updated on Tuesday when the fix was released and just needed an Apache restart.

Nope..Im not using cpanel..

thething that makes me confuse is, as far as I remember, I have not updated my server for quiet long time. and when I know about this exploit, I tried to update, but there is no openssl update available...

• In some distros the patch was backported so you don't necessarily have to see an update in the openssl package version.

openssl version -a

The build date has to be >= April 7th

• VPNVPN Member

As long as you have a changelog entry dated 8th April regarding Heartbeat, you have the fixed version.

• if my site doesnt use https, is it can be affected too?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

psycholyzern said: if my site doesnt use https, is it can be affected too?

Obviously people can eavesdrop on data going to/from your server if they have access to the packets being transferred. But your web server/proxy won't leak memory contents if it's not using SSL (if :443 doesn't accept connections).

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited April 2014

Note that it's not just 443 that can be an entry point for the attack. Anything that uses the vulnerable versions openssl is, e.g. mail

• Saw it after the EFF linked to it on Twitter. XKCD couldn't have explained this more simply ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Big surprise, everyone! The NSA knew about Heartbleed for two years!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-11/nsa-said-to-have-used-heartbleed-bug-exposing-consumers.html

The U.S. National Security Agency knew for at least two years about a flaw in the way that many websites send sensitive information, now dubbed the Heartbleed bug, and regularly used it to gather critical intelligence, two people familiar with the matter said.

The NSA’s decision to keep the bug secret in pursuit of national security interests threatens to renew the rancorous debate over the role of the government’s top computer experts.

ihatetonyy said: Big surprise, everyone! The NSA knew about Heartbleed for two years!

The only evidence they mention is "two people familiar with the matter said". Very convincing!

• perennate said: Very convincing!

This is Bloomberg, not the Daily Mail. Considering their myriad business interests and the reputation they want to uphold, they wouldn't move a story of this magnitude without having good sources behind it.

• ihatetonyy said: they wouldn't move a story of this magnitude without having good sources behind it.

I have no idea if it's fact or not (quite frankly I won't be surprised if it is), but that statement is just . . .

• RocksterRockster Member
    edited April 2014

I am not sure if I understand this correct. Certs and encryption keys switch. After OpenSSL update, restarts, etc... are old certs vulnerable only if someone exploited it already? I understand that there's no way to tell if this happened and it's smart to replace them, change passwords and so on.. but are old certificates and encryption keys still vulnerable after OpenSSL update or they are only potentially dangerous because someone may accessed memory before OpenSSL update (with related service restart)?

Rockster said: After OpenSSL update, restarts, etc... are old certs vulnerable only if someone exploited it already?

Yes.

• @ihatetonyy said:
    Big surprise, everyone! The NSA knew about Heartbleed for two years!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-11/nsa-said-to-have-used-heartbleed-bug-exposing-consumers.html

That would mean they found out about it right from the start (the code in question was first available only 2.25 years ago), implying they have instant code audits which are more thorough than the ones of the OpenSSL developers. Not impossible, but is it very probable?

@perennate said:
    The only evidence they mention is "two people familiar with the matter said". Very convincing!

Agreed.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @neroux said:
    Agreed.

The source of the evidence doesn't sound very convincing, but I don't doubt a second of that actually having happened. It isn't that hard to monitor the overall OpenSSL development process
    on their git repo; they only push commits every other day or so. As far as I know, there are only four active devs.

So all you'd have to do is to get a few well-trained analysts, then you've got instant supervision of the code base. Reviewing the code quickly, on a per-commit basis, most likely does not require a lot of time to those analysts, and it barely takes any resources. If the NSA were serious about monitoring everything - they were, they are, and they will be - there's hardly any way they could've ignored bugs in OpenSSL, considering that is a fantastic attack vector for them.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • smansman Member
    edited April 2014

Lol...I knew someone desperate for clicks was going to try involve the NSA somehow. That is like catnip for some people. Humans really disappoint me sometimes.

Thanked by 1tchen
  • iceTwy said: The source of the evidence doesn't sound very convincing, but I don't doubt a second of that actually having happened. It isn't that hard to monitor the overall OpenSSL development process on their git repo; they only push commits every other day or so. As far as I know, there are only four active devs.

Fully agree, but that would mean exactly what I described in the first section of my reply. In that case OpenSSL might want to consider outsourcing their reviews to the NSA ;)