Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering getting a dedi. OpenVZ help?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Considering getting a dedi. OpenVZ help?

VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
edited April 2012 in General

Hi guys.. I'm highly considering getting a Kimsufi 16G at £35.99/month.

Want to set up for online game servers. Best way I can see myself doing this, is by creating 16 separate OpenVZ boxes.. assigning each a different IP.. and then setting up the game servers on each one of these.

Just wondering how I'd set this up.. or how I'd do it with XEN?

Or is there any easier way.. considering I'll be needing a different IP for each box.

Cheers for any advice guys!

Comments

• @liamwithers said: Or is there any easier way.. considering I'll be needing a different IP for each box.

There's no need for virtualization to effect this. You can add multiple IP addresses to a single ethernet device in linux.

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-add-multiple-ip-addresses.html

Thanked by 1Boltersdriveer
  • Please note that OVH uses a custom kernel so you would have to compile the OpenVZ kernel yourself or install Proxmox. I had a Kimsufi 2G Dedi and I could not for the life of me get the IP's to work with the Virtual Servers I created.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Riight.. so if I had multiple IP's on a single ethernet.. how would I assign different IP's to the different game sever folders?

:)

• @liamwithers said: Riight.. so if I had multiple IP's on a single ethernet.. how would I assign different IP's to the different game sever folders?

Well you don't even need to assign it to the ethernet, otherwise it will get classed as use (and you can't assign it to OpenVZ), but you just add it to the OpenVZ configuration file and OpenVZ assigns it.

• @liamwithers said: how would I assign different IP's to the different game sever folders?

I'm not sure I understand assigning IPs to folders.

My experience with game servers is mostly Halflife/Halflife 2, which have a switch to specify the IP address:

./hlds_run -game tfc +map 2fort +ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I'm sure that most (all?) other game servers would have similar functionality, be it an argument of the executable or in a config file.

• @Damian said: I'm sure that most (all?) other game servers would have similar functionality, be it an argument of the executable or in a config file.

Minecraft you have to store it in server.properties, which are meant to be user-editable, which means its just easier to use OVZ environments.

@Daniel said: Minecraft you have to store it in server.properties, which are meant to be user-editable, which means its just easier to use OVZ environments.

Yeahh :)

Anybody able to recommend some dedicated server with at least 16gb RAM that will work well with OpenVZ, and isn't too costly? :)

• Errr, wait, you're wanting to run multiple minecraft VMs on a single OVZ 'node'?

inb4cpurape <_<

• Any location-wise requirements?

• @Aldryic said: inb4cpurape <_<

One core and 2GB per minecraft VM oughta do the trick...

What kind of heap space does the MC server take to run decently?

• @quirkyquark said: One core and 2GB per minecraft VM oughta do the trick...

Hmm, true enough I suppose, if you know what you're doing. Just all too used to some of our clients that absolutely hammer a node when they attempt to run MC.

• I would NOT try this on OVZ -- Xen PV perhaps?

Thing is, couldn't you get the JVM to bind to different interfaces (IPs) and obviate any need for virtualization? There are ways to force them to do so even if it's not supported by the software itself.

• @Aldryic said: Hmm, true enough I suppose, if you know what you're doing. Just all too used to some of our clients that absolutely hammer a node when they attempt to run MC.

Yep. I don't have that much knowledge but im always surprised when some clients tell me they run MC servers and i haven't noticed any high CPU usage.

Then there are others tanning all four cores :/

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

minecraft is one of the most resource hungry apps that I see running in the openvz nodes.... (even if today I've seen a new cpu eater: poempp_0.9)

Kay.. would happily do Xen PV if somebody explained it to me :P.. Never actually done this before D:.

So long as I can set up a fair few servers on a dedicated server somehow.. then I'll be happy.

Probably gonna be doing a mix of MC and CoD :)

• @prometeus said: poempp_0.9

For anyone wondering, one of those SETI@HOME type things -- it's designed to eat resources!

An academic project to improve understanding of biomolecular structure and function. All substantial results of POEM@HOME....

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: Hmm, true enough I suppose, if you know what you're doing. Just all too used to some of our clients that absolutely hammer a node when they attempt to run MC.

Watch out for the LWC plugin, it constantly writes and writes and writes and writes, and runs is completely inefficient when it comes to memory and cpu, if a minecraft server is using 25+ load, this plugin is probably it.

I managed to get MC to run slightly better by running the GC in another thread, but with plugins like LWC its just pointless since its constantly clearing up their mess.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@quirkyquark said: it's designed to eat resources!

277358 root      39  19 53364  50m 2004 R 99.9  0.0   5:02.28 poempp_0.9_x86_                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
       9940 root      39  19 53364  50m 2012 R 99.5  0.0  74:55.82 poempp_0.9_x86_                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
     666312 root      39  19 53364  50m 2012 R 99.5  0.0 177:26.50 poempp_0.9_x86_                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
       9528 root      39  19 53364  50m 2012 R 99.2  0.0  75:10.18 poempp_0.9_x86_                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
     293392 root      39  19 53364  50m 1964 R 99.2  0.0   1:09.60 poempp_0.9_x86_                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

• Your disk will die long before your CPU with so many MC boxes.

• In addition Kimsufi (except Special Editions) don't have Raid on them.
    inb4adminrage

You'd be better off getting a special edition of one, and give them no more then 20GB space. Minecraft is not that space intensive. Because Minecraft is resource intensive on everything, mainly CPU and Disk.

As for that though - they only 2 cores, and 4GB of RAM. Kimsufi 16G is nice, 4 cores at 2.67Ghz (i5), I've had it before but if someone runs 20+ plugins on their server, they will be complaining because I remember that i5 couldn't handle more then 20 for a single core. Ended up using the GC on another core and using ParallelThreads with it to help tone it down, but it was not that effective.

@Jeffrey said: Please note that OVH uses a custom kernel so you would have to compile the OpenVZ kernel yourself or install Proxmox. I had a Kimsufi 2G Dedi and I could not for the life of me get the IP's to work with the Virtual Servers I created.

Kimsufi 2G doesn't support virtualization, via what they say on the site. I don't think old Pentiums and cheap Celerons do either. I never liked Intel Celerons..

• KairusKairus Member
    edited May 2012

@Blackstorm72 said: Kimsufi 2G doesn't support virtualization, via what they say on the site. I don't think old Pentiums and cheap Celerons do either. I never liked Intel Celerons..

Yeah, but he intends to use OVZ or Xen-PV, so VT support isn't important.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited May 2012

Yeah, I would not go with having a virtual server for each gameserver..........that seems like a waste of resources, worse performance and more work than it's worth.

Just use a control panel like Multicraft. You can host hundreds of servers without any virtualization: http://www.multicraft.org/site/page?view=home