Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free (Tempoary?) Storage for VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free (Tempoary?) Storage for VPS?

nimdynimdy Member
edited April 2012 in General

Hi all. I was wondering if there was any way I can get some free storage to 'attach' to my VPS tempoarily? Or better still a method of spaning HDD space over my different VPS's so that it looks like one big volume.

Basically I would like to compile some linux programs on my VPS, but the one I want to compile likes to eat disk space. Last time I did it on a local VM it took up 10gb for all the sources.

I have three VPS's, with £1hosting, AlienVPS, and Hostigation. All of them are the lowest end services, so I get ~10-15gb on each. I know one answer would be to upgrade one of them for the month, but i've paid a year up front on all of them (and I'm a bit tight).

I only need to do this once. I tried on my home server (a 1.3ghz HP proliant home server) on a VM, but it took hours to compile with the low processor. I know my VPS's have low memory, but I think I'm right in saying processor speed is more important than memory?

Comments

• Hello,
    It is possible to mount a secondary disk to a VM, the problem is very few providers are willing to do this.

I would also not advise you to use a low end VPS to compile large programs, many providers will suspend the VM for CPU abuse. Although the VPS may have access to 2 cores, it is still equal share.

As far as compiling applications or kernel images, the CPU is used more then the Memory. I compiled a Linux Kernel on my desktop yesterday. My RAM barely went above 2 GB but all 8 cores of my CPU were maxed.

• AsimAsim Member

@HostBluff said: I would also not advise you to use a low end VPS to compile large programs, many providers will suspend the VM for CPU abuse. Although the VPS may have access to 2 cores, it is still equal share.

+1

• nimdynimdy Member

Damn, I'll have to think of something else then. Might have to leave my laptop doing it when I'm at work as that's got a bit more grunt on it.

It's Openelec for the Raspberry Pi that I'm trying to compile. Had it finished once, but they are coming up with tweaks and improvements nearly daily. There are people compiling it and sharing the binaries, but I don't want to have to rely on others, and give it a go myself :)

• Hello,
    It may be time to upgrade your computer if you want to compile the binaries by yourself. A 1.3 GHZ computer was never designed for this. As I am a full time developer by trade, I have already made these investments out of pocket for my personal workstation

8 Core Processor @ 3.2 GHZ (AMD)
    16 GB DDR3 RAM
    120 GB SSD (Primary)
    500 GB RAID 1 (Storage)
    1 TB HotSwap (Backup)

• @nimdy said: I have three VPS's, with £1hosting, AlienVPS, and Hostigation. All of them are the lowest end services, so I get ~10-15gb on each. I know one answer would be to upgrade one of them for the month, but i've paid a year up front on all of them (and I'm a bit tight).

If this is KVM I can offer you an NFS mount for a month

• nimdynimdy Member

Yes it is KVM Tim. How much would the NFS cost me? Oh and from what was said at the top of the thread, is it ok for me to do this on your service?

Thanks

• nimdynimdy Member

@HostBluff
    I'm not planning on doing this all the time, it's just a hobby thing. My laptop is an i5 with 6gb ram, so I could use that. The HP micro server is a good piece of kit, but not for number crunching.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited April 2012

@nimdy said: is it ok for me to do this on your service?

Just cap your compiler at 50% CPU and you won't bother anyone else. Extra disk space provided via NFS is $1 per 10gb and I will assign private LAN IP's so it does not count against your traffic.

• nimdynimdy Member

That seems reasonable Tim. I'll have a go on my laptop first, and if it takes ages on that I'll try with NFS.

• You could get a cloud ... and pay by the hour ...

• You could get a cloud ... and pay by the hour ...

I would also advice you to do this.. Rackspace cloud servers are very affordable by hour and the CPU is very nice.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Amazon EC2 - free for a year with a micro with 22GB non-OS disk, but CPU will suck.

A 4-core/8GB RAM/850GB disk Large instance is 32 cents an hour. Make sure to use the -j flag to make :-)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@miTgiB said: Just cap your compiler at 50% CPU and you won't bother anyone else.

Is there a special way to do that in KVM, or do you just mean "nice"?

• Just mount your other VPS to your primary VPS as SSHFS.

• @raindog308: see cpulimit, etc.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • just try to get some dedis that have free trial for 7 days, or something like that...

• aubsaubs Member

@mahjong : and waste other people's time and money?

• @nimdy PM me your email address, I have a new dual core 16 thread OpenVZ node that's idling, if it's a one off I'll create you a VM with the disk space you need and destroy it when you're done.

• nimdynimdy Member

Thanks guys, but I got it running on my laptop. Set the VMware image up to use four cores, left it over night, and is done by morning. Its a shame there is no 'compile took x hours' message at the end. All I know is I started it at 11pm, and when I checked it at 7 am it was done.

• @rajprakash said: Just mount your other VPS to your primary VPS as SSHFS.

Compiling over SSHFS would be awfully slow.

• lawllawl Member

@nimdy
    time make -j 5

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@lawl said: time make -j 5

However some software fail to compile if using multiple threads.

eg Android.

• lawllawl Member

@Daniel
    time make

• @lawl said: time make

Haha.

• Anybody packaging kernel source which won't compile with multiple jobs should be hung, drawn and quartered. Just IMHO....

• @quirkyquark said: Anybody packaging kernel source which won't compile with multiple jobs should be hung, drawn and quartered. Just IMHO....

Some software just really doesn't like being compiled with multiple cores.