Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free VPS project. Need help - OpenVZ - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free VPS project. Need help - OpenVZ

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BTW, this is not a new idea. @agoldenberg tried this not long ago. freevps.us is a forum where you can get VPSes for free.

I think the product you're giving away for free is ridiculously cheap to start with. If people won't pay $1-2 a month, then the vast majority of people who'll sign up will be scammers.

I'm not sure I buy the "devs need a disposable VPS" model. Most of the time, devs can spin up something in VMware/Virtualbox on their desktop or use WAMP, etc. The only time it needs to be in a datacenter is if you need to have lots of other people using it (bandwidth). In that case...you can usually afford the $1-2 a month.

I wouldn't use such a service because I think you'll eventually get tired of the headaches, cost, and work and will shut it down. Even if all your signups are angels, you'll still be patching, administering, working with the NOC, etc. for free and that will get old.

• said: VPS of 1GB ram and 10GB HDD for a short time

people is very misserable and even free is expensive for some, sounds good this project only if they can proof the use of the server and if you can have some good firewall and control on that VPS.

also not needed 1GB, if safer if you can offer 128MB, for only 24-48 hours and only for test, 128mb is enoutgh.

• @raindog308 said:
    BTW, this is not a new idea. agoldenberg tried this not long ago. freevps.us is a forum where you can get VPSes for free.

I think the product you're giving away for free is ridiculously cheap to start with. If people won't pay $1-2 a month, then the vast majority of people who'll sign up will be scammers.

I'm not sure I buy the "devs need a disposable VPS" model. Most of the time, devs can spin up something in VMware/Virtualbox on their desktop or use WAMP, etc. The only time it needs to be in a datacenter is if you need to have lots of other people using it (bandwidth). In that case...you can usually afford the $1-2 a month.

I wouldn't use such a service because I think you'll eventually get tired of the headaches, cost, and work and will shut it down. Even if all your signups are angels, you'll still be patching, administering, working with the NOC, etc. for free and that will get old.

It's not just for scammers, it's also for script kiddies who run there gaming servers on them because there parents don't allow them to buy real VPS's. :O

• nunimnunim Member
    edited April 2014

This is just asking for a headache, anyone with a legit use can just spin up an EC2 instance or droplet. DigitalOcean pretty much pays me to use their VPS as they frequently send out $5-$10 in free credit, since I only spin up an instance when I'm working on something and destroy it when I'm done, my bill is usually less than $1/mo.

I've got more money in my account then when I started months ago, not to mention the other accounts I've got with them..