Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Little PC such slow HDD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Little PC such slow HDD

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited April 2014 in Help

Hi,

Some days ago i noticed that my I/O on my Atom PC is dam slow, first here some specs:

Mainboard: D525MW

CPU: Intel Atom 525 @ 1.8Ghz

Memory: 4096MB DDR3

HDD: 500GB (SAMSUNG HD503HI)

DD benchmark said: 20,5MB/s max, the question is why? Everything is loading fucking slow, i had the same disk in a nother PC as i rember it was ASRock with AMD CPU and worked well, but i dont mesured the HDD Speed.

Thanks

Comments

• iSidleiSidle Member
    edited April 2014

Maybe because it's only 5.400 RPM and dating from back in 2009.

Try getting the:

Seagate Momentus Spinpoint ST500DM005, 500GB

SATA-300

7200rpm

Sequential read speed: 125MB/s

Seq. write speed: 144MB/s

20mm

3.5"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002J65AHQ/sr=8-3-fkmr1/qid=1396553781/ref=olp_tab_refurbished?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=refurbished&me=&qid=1396553781&seller=&sr=8-3-fkmr1

$40 if you take a refurb, $200 if you take a new one.

• Is the drive otherwise idle when you try to test it's speed? Maybe there is something in the background?
    What does the smart health status say? Are there any signs of trouble (like 1000 reallocated sectors, etc.)?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • UDMA Crc Error Count ==> check and possibly replace the SATA cable.

@rds100 done, replaced and also tried a other sata port still same results :)

I dont go over 20,5MB/s again...

• How do you test the 20.5 MB/s by the way?

@rds100 i just run dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; unlink test

• Try dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=1M count=10k

(assuming the disk is /dev/sda). This will read 10GB from the disk and tell you the speed. Can take some time.

• Desktop SATA drives are never going to give spectacular performance if not in some sort of RAID array. The fact that it's an older 5400RPM drive definitely makes it slower. What mode is your SATA controller set to? ATA Emulation or AHCI? If you're not running Windows, try changing it to AHCI if it's set to ATA right now, as that might make a small difference. Otherwise, I'd advise replacing it with a new one. It may be a sign of impending failure.

@rds100 10737418240 Bytes (11 GB) copied, 91,1547 s, 118 MB/s

Hmm ok seems like is the CPU itself, shit.

@Magiobiwan Yes AHCI is enabled.

• @Infinity580 what file system is it? Are the partitions aligned (say on 4k)?

@rds100 as i know ex4, idk i just installed it.