Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM OpenVZ Backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM OpenVZ Backup

IxapeIxape Member
edited September 2011 in General

How reliable is the backup in SolusVM?

Thanked by 1drmike

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I'd be scared of it.

There was a serious bug in their central backups software that made it 100% useless. The quick backups feature also had a serious bug that made your backups available to anyone inside of your VPS due to a chmod error that they probably haven't fixed by now.

Francisco

• Hmmm.. best way to generate a whole system backup? :)

• Hmmm, so that's what I'm running on top of my Xen setup. Thanks.

@ixape - you should just use rsync to take a snapshot to another box.

All the quickbackup stuff does, if I remember correctly, is it stores a vzdump of the VPS inside of your own VPS.

Francisco

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Yerp, Solus backups are not to be relied upon.

@up2vps - Those require the host to handle it and there's no easy way to restore the backups.

Given the source i've read I wouldn't trust solus to be able to do much of anything correct.

Francisco

• The node backups work fine and I have restored from them, maybe I was just lucky, but they seem to work for me. As for a user, just rsync it off if it is a OpenVZ container, KVM, mount system rescue cd and dd_rescue an image off to some other place

• So, the quick backups are to store the big file in your box? And then, how you restore it? Some hosts seems to refuse to do it, or even don't know how to do it...

• yomero said: Some hosts seems to refuse to do it, or even don't know how to do it...

Find a new host, 1st don't use quick backup, it doesn't work and can't be restored even if you get something, 2nd if your provider is that stubborn not to help in a problem time, they are not the host for you. You might be offered that help for a fee, which is fair, but none, hit the road.

• Just to throw this out, instead of using the provided backup, what would be a better method of doing such?

• LAsurfLAsurf Member
    edited September 2011

Make you own shell-script, cron, tar your files and configs, crypt, rsync to different locations. That's how I'm doing that. Good thing is, if you previously just exported the list of programmes you had installed via apt. So you just reinstall them on a new system, put in your backup and you're done within minutes.

• miTgiB said: Find a new host, 1st don't use quick backup, it doesn't work and can't be restored even if you get something, 2nd if your provider is that stubborn not to help in a problem time, they are not the host for you. You might be offered that help for a fee, which is fair, but none, hit the road.

Yep, seems like using solus backups doesn't have almost any sense

• How do I export a list of installed stuff on my box? Using Debian 6..

• Ixape said: How do I export a list of installed stuff on my box? Using Debian 6..

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/clone-your-ubuntu-installation.html

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited September 2011

On CentOS (and other RHEL based OSs): yum list installed
    Debian, Ubuntu, etc: dpkg --list

• I always used dpkg --get-selections > installed.txt on Debian.

Thanked by 1yomero