Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenStack Advice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenStack Advice

Anyone here used OpenStack? Im looking to cloud backup a number of Windows VMs and my software supports backing up to OpenStack (along with AWS, GCS). Has anyone got any tips? Im looking at using a vultr.com 640gb sata storage vps ($15/month) to start with but if it works out well I might have to migrate to AWS or GCS because of total storage requirements will outgrow this if successful.
I was going to deploy the vultr server with Centos and then do the OpenStack install on top but there looks to be a fair amount of setup - maybe I ought to go straight to AWS/GCS...
Any thoughts...

Comments

• tchentchen Member

Single node openstack? If your data isn't worth much, then go for it! ;)

• Pointless to have a single node OpenStack.

OpenStack is preferably deployed when you have physical control over the hardware.
    There's router setting stuff for OpenStack, etc.

• Backing up enough files and settings to an offsite server to restore fast and quick on a fresh system is much better than taking full image backups.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

You want to run Openstack in a VPS? Am I the only one, who finds that this is something ridicilous to be done?

• @tchen - single node - sure the backup is on a single node but the backup app tests the backup file integrity. the node dies/corrupts/whatever - you lose your history but that is not your live data. on a weekly basis backups would be downloaded to site and merged and tested. be very unlucky losing both source server/environment and backup target - even then still lose a maximum of 7 days work - not everything.

@giant_crab - thanks have been reading more since I posted and there would be a considerable time investment in learning the product - would be much better off paying a provider like AWS or GCS.

@severian - linux yes - windows no. need to backup entire system, system + incrementals/differentials - but data only is insufficient.

@alex_liquidhost - my initial post was made before id spent time investigating how much was involved in OpenStack.

i thought my post had died a quick death so i thank you all for your info - much appreciated.

• tchentchen Member
    edited April 2014

@seaeagle It's probably worth mentioning to you that reduced redundancy S3 is going to be priced 0.024/GB (recent April) and reduced availability storage at GCS is already priced at 0.02/GB So unless you envision a lot of outbound restores, you're literally picking up pennies at this point.

• @tchen - even their normal availability pricing is only about 20% more than that. restore cost is higher but yeah i dont have the will or the time to attempt to learn openstack for what could only ever be tiny savings and lots of effort.
    thanks all for your input.