Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Backup Script
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Backup Script

SpencerSpencer Member
edited April 2012 in General

Im looking for a backup script. Im currently using https://github.com/meskyanichi/backup but I dont like how it is setup. I would like to to have compression built in, and support sftp. Thanks!

Comments

• agh I like rsync + cron for backup :/

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @TheHackBox said: agh I like rsync + cron for backup :/

I would use rsync but its for client MC servers and I want compress the data because ALOT of minecraft is just text files. I can usually get around 75% compression when just done with gzip.

• why not use cron to compress the folder into a .tar.gz and just send it over?

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited April 2012

Duply

duply is a frontend for the mighty duplicity magic. duplicity is a python based shell application that makes encrypted incremental backups on remote storages. Several backends like ftp, sftp, imap and others are supported. (also Amazon S3)

• @TheHackBox said: why not use cron to compress the folder into a .tar.gz and just send it over?

Hmmm I really feel dumb.

• @TheHackBox said: why not use cron to compress the folder into a .tar.gz and just send it over?

Why transfer unchanged files every time you backup?

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited April 2012

@dmmcintyre3 said: Why transfer unchanged files every time you backup?

Good point.

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited April 2012

@dmmcintyre3 said: Why transfer unchanged files every time you backup?

Because I would prefer compression and rysnc can't do it with compression. Unless create a local folder of changed files only? Then transfer those?

• @PytoHost said: Because I would prefer compression and rysnc can't do it with compression.

-z anyone?

-z, --compress Compress file data during the transfer (man rsync)

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • rsnapshot anyone :) ?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: -z anyone?
    -z, --compress Compress file data during the transfer (man rsync)

Would that save the compressed data ? I thought it compressed, sent, decompressed it again?

• dwilddwild Member

@PytoHost said: because ALOT of minecraft is just text files

Can I know where you get this information? All the map is in some huge binary files... The configuration and the log is text but... that's what, 0.5%?...

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited April 2012

@dwild said: Can I know where you get this information? All the map is in some huge binary files... The configuration and the log is text but... that's what, 0.5%?...

Plugins - Nope
    Map - Yes
    Plugin Config - Yes
    Logs - Yes
    Config Files - Yes

What else is left in MC?