Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this KVM VPS too slow? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this KVM VPS too slow?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2014

While I agree that "dd tests" are extremely far from telling the whole story, very low results are a clear sign of trouble. Anything under 30 gave me issues in the past, such as painfully slow apt-get's. Mind you, I used to run OVZ on CF cards at home so I KNOW how it is to have slow disk, 30 MB/s is 3 times faster than that in a very good day, but I am doing the sacrifice for the sake of silent operation and very low power consumption.
    Lower than 10 MB/s on a server with raid and all (I suppose nobody is still doing a one drive setup these days...) means shit hit the fan and urgent action is needed. They probably know as there are many tools to monitor this and send alarms in case of issues, but it does not hurt to put up a ticket, just to make sure, because it is bad.
    Yes, "dd tests" dont say anything above, say, 300 MB/s, even below, IMO but others dont agree, however, under 10, that is a disaster, the whole node must be crawling under iowait load making even VPSes which do not read/write much from the disk to crawl.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • I forgot to ask, did the kvm from Bluevm used for running torrent?

• LinkkingLinkking Member
    edited April 2014

LowEND said: Why does everything on LowEndTalk blow up

Because 50% of LET members are providers and they're lap dogs and the other 50% are genuine buyers. A buyer comes to share his experiences and opens a discussion about a host, then the provider piles into him with his lap dogs.

• The IO is indeed slow. As long as you've ruled out anything you might be doing to cause the slow IO (Torrents, v busy SQL etc) You should contact the provider so they may fix the issue and/or provide an explanation.

• rm_ said: . Also what is this "viCommunications" name, is it some provider? Remind me to never buy any service from you.

Don't care whether you purchase my services. I'm just stating the obvious. You buy from a crap host, you expect crap hosting. BlueVM is probably the worst I've dealt with.

viCommunications said: BlueVM is probably the worst I've dealt with.

Then you are not here for long :).
    It used to be better, I agree, but it is far from being the worst.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

viCommunications said: Don't care whether you purchase my services.

Badass host, yo.

• Maounique said: It used to be better, I agree, but it is far from being the worst.

+1

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited April 2014

My KVM disk speed was a little slow in KVM on bluevm, however switched to VirtIO and everything seems fine now. It's normally around 200 - 300 MB/s, so something could be up...

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 10.5921 s, 101 MB/s

• My hand writing speed is slower than OP's disk writing speed.

The world's fastest SSD writes faster than OP's disk writing speed.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

10mb/s = 80mbps right ?

80mbps is decent for lots of operations. I am sure that it is not suitable for hosting super fast db but it will do the job for personal use.

For today's LEB standards everything lower than 100 mb/s is slow to most of you. Normal 7200 rpm sata drive has speeds around 100 mb/s and that is raidless dedicated server performance which cost much more than LEB vps servers that you can find here.

Again that number of 10 mb/s should be bigger, but in real life for low end VPS it is more than enough. It really depends on application or service that you are running.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2014

drserver said: that number of 10 mb/s should be bigger, but in real life for low end VPS it is more than enough
    drserver said: AbusiveCores - SugarVPS - Check out our Brand New ByteShack

I suppose running that particular brand you have a lot of experience in sugar-coating the pill and explaining that "in the real world" the crappy performance customers get is "more than enough".

drserver said: it will do the job for personal use.

"The real question here" is why put up with a lousy-performing service when just about all of that provider's competitors offer a much better one for about the same price.

(But returning to the issue at hand, I really don't think this benchmark result is normal for BlueVM, rather a malfunction or abuse they will want to fix if contacted via a ticket).

edited April 2014

rm_ said: I suppose running that particular brand you have a lot of experience in sugar-coating the pill and explaining that "in the real world" the crappy performance customers get is "more than enough".

Dear @rm_ - are you consider this sugar-coating http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/446795/#Comment_446795

Now when we are done with "sugar-coating" please explain me in real life scenario for what would you need more than 10 mb/s writes

EDIT: I am not saying that no one has to be happy with 10 mb/s i am just asking what kind of service require more than 10 mb/s writes.

• rm_ said: 9.9 MB/sec at
    is slow

I just wonder, does everyone do sequential writing of stuffs at 9.9MB/s constantly in a LEB?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited April 2014

Good morning...

@harrysdt - Please answer the following questions:

1. Did you submit a ticket and wait at least 24 hours for a response?
    2. If you did submit a ticket, what's the ticket #?
    3. Did you turn on VirtIO drivers?
    4. If you did turn on VirtIO and you're getting that speed I'd say there's likely some abuse on the node. If VirtIO is on did you give the technician 24 - 48 hours to fix the issue?

---

@rm - You are missing one fairly big point... it's KVM. I've seen DD tests go up 15 - 25x just by turning on VirtIO. It's likely not on in harrysdt's case. I've been on nodes where the physical hardware is pulling 300 - 400 MB/s, but a VPS on IDE is pulling less than 10 MB/s. I don't care about arguing the point... just care about helping the customer.

edited April 2014

eLohkCalb said: I just wonder, does everyone do sequential writing of stuffs at 9.9MB/s constantly in a LEB?

drserver said: what kind of service require more than 10 mb/s writes.

It's called a "VPS service". I wonder if you are being retarded on purpose, or just "standing up" for your "fellow providers" and their right to peddle subpar product onto people? No one expects to saturate their disks 100% continuously, what this benchmark indicates is that with the I/O this shot, every operation on the VPS which involves any sort of disk write whatsoever will be very negatively affected.

Again, even if 9.9 MB/sec is "enough" then WARNING CAR ANALOGY AHEAD that's like buying a car which can't go faster than 10 MPH, with it costing exactly the same and having the same fuel consumption as normal cars. And the car salesman telling you, "for what purpose do you need speeds higher than 10 miles per hour, sir? in the real world for a personal car 10 MPH is more than enough".

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2014

Actually this car can't do more than 10 MPH with the handbrake on, but enough with the cars analogies ;-)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited April 2014

@rm_ - Please stop calling our VPS subpar... there are a lot of factors that play into KVM DD tests, it's likely he selected the slowest drivers and that is all... If he did select good drivers and it's abuse we'll handle that on a separate level. It's not as if the customer opened a ticket and we told him "10 MPH is more than enough"... we literally have no information beyond a DD test and the fact that it's KVM.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
    edited April 2014

rm_ said: I wonder if you are being retarded on purpose, or just "standing up" for your "fellow providers" and their right to peddle subpar product onto people?

I asked you simple question, i am not picking any side, i have stated that 9.9 MB/s is low. So there is no really need for that "retarded" things... Also i am not defending BlueVM, i don't know guy, actually i have joined this conversation to back up serverian's oppinion as i agree, dd test is not good test to decide if something is preforming well.

rm_ said: every operation on the VPS which involves any sort of disk write whatsoever will be very negatively affected.

I agree whit you on this one.

rm_ said: Again, even if 9.9 MB/sec is "enough" then WARNING CAR ANALOGY AHEAD that's like buying a car which can't go faster than 10 MPH, with it costing exactly the same and having the same fuel consumption as normal cars. And the car salesman telling you, "for what purpose do you need speeds higher than 10 miles per hour, sir? in the real world for a personal car 10 MPH is more than enough".

And i have to agree on you here also. You are always after best value for your money. That is understandable. But i didn't stated that you have to be happy because 10mb/s is enough, i have stated that you can preform lots of "personal" operations with that 10mb/s.

Thanked by 1netomx
    edited April 2014

BlueVM said: Please stop calling our VPS subpar...

I did not mean your service specifically, what we ended up discussing is whether or not 10 MB/sec 'dd' is "normal" for a VPS service in general. And as I said above I did not think you would consider that to be a normal result either.

• rm_ said: I did not mean your service specifically, what we ended up discussing is whether or not 10 MB/sec 'dd' is "normal" for a VPS service in general. And as I said above I did not think you would consider that to be a normal result either.

Fair enough... Point being I do care :)

Well my work here is pretty much done unless the OP comes back...

Thanked by 1Mark_R
    edited April 2014

I think 10 Mb/s is slower than most internet connections on a vps which are 100 mbps at least. If you have a vm which writes slower to the disk than the potential flow of data from the internet, it is not even good for backups. And that is in sequential writing, we dont need to bring in discussion any DB access, when it cant perform fully in backups, then it is not good for most other things, except, perhaps, routing with minimal logging.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • To All.

I want to clarify this is not a problem of BlueVM

after changing some settings myself:

the speed now is:

dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.99037 s, 154 MB/s

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Lolcats, drama for nowt

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Sorry about that I really don't know you guys discuss quite a lot on this issue.

Once again I just want to clarify again this is NOT the problem of BlueVM

Thanked by 1Mark_R

We were more like discussing the philosophy of the dd test. When is valid and when not, what is too low and what can still function, things like those, this is LET, it wasnt even a big derailment by the standards :P

• @harrysdt - Glad to hear it...

Thanked by 1harrysdt
  • I change the topic to avoid misleading to BlueVM