Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative of CloudLinux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternative of CloudLinux?

Hi there,

I have a server with cPanel installed, I do aware of the benefits of CloudLinux but seems its license fee is a little bit high:(

I am wondering is there any alternative option?

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Better linux but it doesn't work nearly as well

• Are you providing shared hosting?

• @PremiumN said:
    Are you providing shared hosting?

Exactly

• @Fliphost said:

Has also been exposed to have serious security issues.

• @Fliphost said:

They starting to be commercial license this month lol

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

GreenVine said: They starting to be commercial license this month lol

Thats been the case every month for a few years.

• you can get cloudlinux for $11.95 from buycpanel

• Here's a pretty detailed comparison between CloudLinux and Betterlinux: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1280069

• jhjh Member

1h.com Hive is another alternative.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@NickEsposito said:
    Here's a pretty detailed comparison between CloudLinux and Betterlinux: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1280069

That only discusses isolation - which you can achieve with OpenVZ :-) CloudLinux also offers resource governance, which is a lot harder to do in Linux.

• Well do these solution like CloudLinux, H1 Hive and BetterLinux fully compatible with cPanel?

I will use it in production.

@GreenVine CloudLinux would have the best compatibility as they are full partners with each other.

http://cpanel.net/cpanel-whm/cloudlinux/

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

From our experience, there's no real competition to Cloudlinux right now. At $15 per license it is a must for any cPanel server running more than 1 customer's account.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

dcc said: At $15 per license it is a must for any cPanel server running more than 1 customer's account.

Welll...it's very nice but not sure I'd go that far. There are plenty of big hosts that do not use CL.

• @raindog308 said:
    Welll...it's very nice but not sure I'd go that far. There are plenty of big hosts that do not use CL.

Do these solutions really make sense?

• ThorThor Member

@Greenvine: I’m not sure what Fliphost is talking about, but I’d say BetterLinux works better than CloudLinux. CloudLinux comes in a little better packaging, but I don’t care about that. I simply want the best resource management. When you’re running a for-profit business, who cares about internal cosmetics (BetterLinux has come a long way even in this regard). What I want is to control more aspects of my system with greater granularity. BetterLinux does that better than CloudLinux. Like Raindog308 said, “There are plenty of big hosts that do not use CL.” In fact, most of them don’t. CloudLinux is too cookie-cutter for the huge host. If you want to customize, go with BetterLinux. And by the number of times they’ve delayed charging, the chances are you won’t end up even paying anything for while. Like Fliphost says, CloudLinux is a full partner with cPanel, but BetterLinux is also fully integrated with cPanel, so there's no issue there.

@Virtovo: You’re right that BetterLinux used to have some security issues, but all of that has been totally resolved in later releases. Your comment is only based on the review NickEsposito posted, but the info in that link is over 9 months old.

edited April 2014

@Thor

Was referring to stuff similar to this: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1280069 for the security issues, though there have been releases afterwords.

From what I heard, have not personally used it I will admit, CL works much better.

• Virtovo: You’re right that BetterLinux used to have some security issues, but all of that has been totally resolved in later releases. Your comment is only based on the review NickEsposito posted, but the info in that link is over 9 months old.

Judging by your posting profile (http://lowendtalk.com/profile/comments/3662/Thor) you are quite the BetterLinux advocate. I am guessing you have quite a good understanding of the system. With that being said, what advances have BetterLinux made with regards to the security issues. I understand CloakFS has seem some improvements from the article.

What is your involvement with BetterLinux? Do you have an affiliation of some sort?