Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone knows an LEB in Canada but with a US IP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone knows an LEB in Canada but with a US IP?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited April 2012 in General

Basically for me to watch Hulu with VPN:) Preferably the VPS could be in Toronto but Montreal is OK too, 128MB minimum and no uptime requirements but as cheap as possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why Canada?

• lumaluma Member

I have not been able to get Hulu to work with US VPN. I tried L2TP, openVPN AND PPP as well as squid proxy with various settings.

It is like they are able to detect a proxy/vpn now.

And yes it is routing my traffic out of the vpn/proxy as I can listen to Pandora, ESPN, USA only youtube videos etc even Netflix USA works.

Only Hulu does not work.

I wonder how they are doing it!

Luma

• @luma said: It is like they are able to detect a proxy/vpn now.

they may have started blocking known datacenter IP addresses.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • how about you just ask for VPS that is known to be working with Hulu :)

@luma said: I have not been able to get Hulu to work with US VPN. I tried L2TP, openVPN AND PPP as well as squid proxy with various settings.

It is like they are able to detect a proxy/vpn now.

And yes it is routing my traffic out of the vpn/proxy as I can listen to Pandora, ESPN, USA only youtube videos etc even Netflix USA works.

Only Hulu does not work.

I wonder how they are doing it!

Luma

check if hulu checks location!

does that behaviour is on the normal hulu? to check my vps

• BoGsBoGs Member

@luma I live in canada and I get a LEB that i use primary for openvpn to watch hulu and it is fantastic. Let me know if you need help setting it up.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

I have a Securedragon 32 mb vps for watching Hulu.. using pptp
    its not canadian but works for me :)

Update: I tested one of my VPNs and it is working.... are you with loomhosts?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I believe the OP is asking for Canada since he lives there. Maybe a New York or Illinois location could do as is close to Toronto.

• lumaluma Member

@BoGs said: @luma I live in canada and I get a LEB that i use primary for openvpn to watch hulu and it is fantastic. Let me know if you need help setting it up.

Weird, I have no idea then as I said I tried pptp, l2tp and openvpn, All of them when connecting route all of my traffic to the vpn (if I go to whatismyip it shows us ip) and other websites work fine when on the vpn but tell me that I must be in the USA to watch if I drop the vpn.

I tried my securedragon VPS as well as a dedicated server in Kansas.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited April 2012

They could be blocking some non residential IPs even if its in the US

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited April 2012

Yes, @Infinity is correct, I live in Toronto so I want something close by.

• @BoGs: I'll definitely enlist your help if Hulu does not work for me :) Who is your host?

I experienced the same with abuyvm box.
    Geoip said US, but Hulu said otherwise.... Since I do have afew with different providers I tested with my SD and this script: http://www.putdispenserhere.com/pptp-debian-ubuntu-openvz-setup-script/

• lumaluma Member

Hulu is working now with pptp but not l2tp I must of lied when I said I had tested it with pptp :)

now to re test openvpn in case I lied about that one!

Luma

• pcanpcan Member

@zhuanyi: I have no problem watching Hulu with a cheap 123systems (Texas) Vps. I use a socks proxy, with the free Bitvise Tunnelier application. My problem is the opposite of yours, I am unable to watch canadian TV (Cbc.ca) using a similar VPN on a BuyVm: I suspect Cbc does not recognize the IP as Canadian (I get the "content not available" error in cbc player, or sometimes the content starts but then will interrupt the play after few minutes). Hulu does not recognise the BuyVm IP as USA, either. Maybe Francisco's secret project is to start their own pony country :)

• Nope, haven't had a problem with Hulu with my VPS currently.

• BoGsBoGs Member

@zhuanyi said: @BoGs: I'll definitely enlist your help if Hulu does not work for me :) Who is your host?

I have a securedragon 128mb XEN - I prefer XEN and since it acts more like a dedicated server then OpenVZ. Overall is not that hard and the thing you have to look out for is to redirect the traffic through the vpn, and setting up iptables and you should be good to the races.

• sonicsonic Veteran

buyvm?

@pcan said: Hulu does not recognise the BuyVm IP as USA, either. Maybe Francisco's secret project is to start their own pony country :)

I think you have to request another IP to make it work.
    Sometime ago that was discussed on IRC

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

My buyvm IP works fine with Hulu :)

@MikHo said: I experienced the same with abuyvm box.

Geoip said US, but Hulu said otherwise.... Since I do have afew with different providers I tested with my SD and this script: http://www.putdispenserhere.com/pptp-debian-ubuntu-openvz-setup-script/

you didn't follow buyvm wiki... I have been there, too D:

• I can confirm my VPS with SD works for both Hulu and Pandora as of right now. :)

• Anyways, so nobody offers VPS in Canada but GeoIP based in US?

• @zhuanyi Nobody offers such a thing, as leasing a block from ARIN for example, needs your actual geographical location. What you're asking about does not exist.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@SETH_HIKARU said: What you're asking about does not exist.

ARIN and GeoIP location have nothing to do with each other unfortunately (learned that the hard way when our IPs showed as being in the UK).

• @KuJoe I know it exists, it's just no company offers it. At least that I have heard of.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
    edited April 2012

Is @Francisco simply using another IP block for their VPNs?

• @Boltersdriveer said: Is @Francisco simply using another IP block for their VPNs?

Yup. And we spent a ton of time having various geoloc DBs updated for each service we wanted the IPs to be able to access.