Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skydrive is lowering storage limit to 7GB, act now to keep your 25gb
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Skydrive is lowering storage limit to 7GB, act now to keep your 25gb

vahevahe Member
edited April 2012 in General

I'm not sure if this has been brought up already but Skydrive is going to lower their storage limit to 7gb. But you can still keep your 25gb limit if you login and click free upgrade to 25gb :)

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/skydrive/loyalty

Thanked by 2Liam djvdorp

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Seems like a dumb idea considering google just released their drive dealy.

Francisco

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • They're doing it because of the huge increase they are seeing because of Google Drive.

• Who cares, skydrive can gtfo u_u

Upgrading... LOL

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I swear, no one is as good at talking a lot without saying much as Microsoft.

"When designing the new SkyDrive, we wanted to create personal cloud storage that was both powerful and that had enough storage to meet the needs of most people—for free. The new SkyDrive offers 7 GB of storage. That’s enough for 20,000 Office docs or 7,000 photos. And unlike before, you can upload big files (up to 2 GB) and automatically sync files or entire folders to SkyDrive right from your PC."

What? My 25GB free plan was both powerful and had enough storage to meet my needs. Cutting down to 7GB doesn't make it better. Also, it's a lot more useful to upload 2GB files when you have 25GB to play with instead of 7GB.

Reminds me of all the amazing benefits of Windows Genuine Advantage.

"All you need to do is go to the SkyDrive storage page and choose Upgrade my storage. That’s it—you’re locked in for 25 GB for free."

There is no such link, just offers to pay more.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@subigo said: They're doing it because of the huge increase they are seeing because of Google Drive.

erm so, explain it fully since i'm not quite getting it....

• Skydrive opened with 25G
    • because google drive came out, skydrive is seeing an influx?

Francisco

• @Francisco said: erm so, explain it fully since i'm not quite getting it....

Skydrive opened with 25G

because google drive came out, skydrive is seeing an influx?
    Francisco

Most people didn't even know Skydrive existed. Google Drive came out and every tech site/blog on the planet decided to do a comparison of "cloud storage services", which introduced people to 25GB's of free storage. From what I was told, yesterday was Skydrive's biggest day of new sign-ups ever. A Microsoft employee was posting about it on Reddit today if you feel like searching.

• vahevahe Member

@raindog308 said: There is no such link, just offers to pay more.

Looks like it's the "promotion" expired. No more free "upgrade".

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Francisco said: Skydrive opened with 25G

because google drive came out

...with just 5GB, the MS managers had a WTF moment about "why we are giving out so much for free", and switched their service to provide just a bit more than google, not 5x more.

• ShamliShamli Member
    edited April 2012

Just grab the free upgrade..=)

@raindog308 @vahe you need to login and go to the SkyDrive page https://skydrive.live.com/

• vahevahe Member

@Shamli said: Just grab the free upgrade..=)

I did on one account. But didn't work on another one, and that's because I didn't upload any files there. I didn't meet this condition: "Even existing Users who have not made any use of their SkyDrive, i.e. not uploaded anything, will not get the free 25 GB upgrade offer." So I guess the offer is still active it was just me.

• My only skydrive have 0GB used.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Darn I missed out. Oh well, kimsufi sells 1TB backup for $20 ;) ...I just better keep good tabs on the disk health :D

• I got mine, 25 GB ;)

• Still works fine, I just claimed my 25G.

Looks like your acc needs to be a 'bit' old, from what I see. 'Loyal' users and all.

• They are getting setup so they can charge for the 25gb of space.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Shamli - nope, I got no link:

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@raindog308 said: @Shamli - nope, I got no link:

you got the 25GB already

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • gianggiang Veteran

@raindog308 said: nope, I got no link

Because you have used more than 7GB so MS auto upgraded your account to 25GB :D

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Skywhat?

• dwilddwild Member

I did that on 2 account, I don't uses it and I don't plan to use it but 25GB free... we never know, it can be useful.

• Got mine updated, I did not know Skydrive is getting so much better than before, I mean, it has desktop apps for both PC and mac and even for Android and Apple phones!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@zhuanyi said: PC and mac

You mean Windows and OS X?