Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dvorak
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dvorak

SpencerSpencer Member
edited April 2012 in General

Does anybody use Dvorak? Or are you all QWERTY like me?

Comments

• @Aldryic said: Left-hand Dvorak

Is that what layout you use?

• yup. Originally started on qwerty like everyone else.. picked up dvorak out of boredom one summer. Found the left-handed layout to be more comfortable.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited April 2012

I am left handed and I look at that picture and like some of the ways things are laid out... but damn that would take allot of brain re-wiring to get used to.

@aldryic what was the learning curve after you got it, time to get use to it? Also do you use your mouse on the right? .. I cant stand use a mouse on the right but I know some lefties do =\

• I use QWERTY, it just works.

• aubsaubs Member

I'm left handed. I use the mouse with right hand and use a qwerty keyboard. I'd find it awkward giving tech support any other way!

• I'm also left handed and mostly use the mouse with the right hand with a qwerty kb, but when I feel like it I can also use the mouse in the left hand.

• @HC_Ro said: @aldryic what was the learning curve after you got it, time to get use to it? Also do you use your mouse on the right? .. I cant stand use a mouse on the right but I know some lefties do =\

Learning curve wasn't that bad. Took me maybe a week or so of constant use to break the 'secretary barrier', 2-3 weeks and I was pretty close to my old typing speed.

As far as mouse, depends on where I'm at. For my primary workstation at home, I use a Logitech Trackball, so it needs to be on the right side. At the office, though, I use two Kensington Trackballs and an Ergo Touchpad, which I can move from side to side as needed. I typically keep the trackballs on the left, and touchpad on the right.

• Pshaw.... you kids with your Dvorak and UTF-8.... Give me QWERTY and ASCII any day :P

• @Aldryic said: As far as mouse, depends on where I'm at. For my primary workstation at home, I use a Logitech Trackball, so it needs to be on the right side. At the office, though, I use two Kensington Trackballs and an Ergo Touchpad, which I can move from side to side as needed. I typically keep the trackballs on the left, and touchpad on the right.

My dad got one of them large Kesington Trackballs and I dont understand how you can use it with it being so big. I got one of the smaller more portable ones and it feels just right.

• @Daniel said: My dad got one of them large Kesington Trackballs and I dont understand how you can use it with it being so big. I got one of the smaller more portable ones and it feels just right.

I have macros for changing sensitivity.. when working across 2-3 large monitors, the large trackball helps a lot :P That, and I have pretty big hands, so it lets me keep my hand comfortably spread out, instead of scrunched up.

• I use QWERTZ :)

Thanked by 2nabo tux
  • @Aldryic said: Left-hand Dvorak

That looks like something from one of my more geeky nightmares.
    Thing looks terrifying :|

I'm using the UK QWERTY layout.
    As far as I know, the only real difference is the reverse positioning of the @ and " keys -- " is above '2' on the UK layout.

• Dvorak FTW! Been using it for a couple years now. Efficient, and (more importantly), nerdy.

• nabonabo Member

Neo FTW!

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited April 2012

QWERTY on my Mac and QWERTZ for my old Toshiba..

had one DVORAK keyboard, but don't know where now..

• vedranvedran Veteran

QWERTZ ftw

Btw, I'm left handed and mouse on the right makes perfect sense. I can type with left hand only and move the mouse with right, trying to do it the other way around would probably burn my braincells rapidly

• I'm learning dvorak (US) layout atm. Normally I type in QWERTY.

• i have the blank das but use querty.

always wanted to give another layout a go though

• I would change to Dvorak, but all keyboards I've seen here in Singapore have all been Qwerty, so it'd be weird :(