Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS Yum Update Problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS Yum Update Problem

geodirkgeodirk Member
edited September 2011 in Help

I've got seven CentOS LEB's out there (mostly 128 mb). Today, I did a 'yum update' and it generated a bunch of dependency errors. So I ran a 'yum update --skip-broken' to get the rest of the system updated followed by a reboot.

Now with everything else updated, I'm getting this error:

Excluding Packages in global exclude list

Finished

Setting up Update Process

Resolving Dependencies

--> Running transaction check

--> Processing Dependency: nash = 5.1.19.6-68.el5_6.1 for package: mkinitrd

---> Package nash.i386 0:5.1.19.6-71.el5 set to be updated

--> Finished Dependency Resolution

mkinitrd-5.1.19.6-68.el5_6.1.i386 from installed has depsolving problems

--> Missing Dependency: nash = 5.1.19.6-68.el5_6.1 is needed by package mkinitrd-5.1.19.6-68.el5_6.1.i386 (installed)

Error: Missing Dependency: nash = 5.1.19.6-68.el5_6.1 is needed by package mkinitrd-5.1.19.6-68.el5_6.1.i386 (installed)

You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

You could try running: package-cleanup --problems

package-cleanup --dupes

rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

The program package-cleanup is found in the yum-utils package.

Any idea of how to get around this dependency problem? Is it a problem with the low memory that is on a LEB?

Comments

• Try using dpkg install

• @xprotocept He is using a RHEL based OS, not Debian ;)

• Oh.... sorry i was at school and i was reading it fast haha
    (Teachers)

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited September 2011

geodirk said: So I ran a 'yum update --skip-broken' to get the rest of the system

Not good, I would guess you have alot of other packages that are out of sync.

You didn't happen to mix 64bit with 32bit did you? I have seen this happen when conflicting packages from 32bit and 64bit are mixed together.

I doubt you'll be able to fix this one easily, most likely you will need a re-install.

If you feel bold, you can backup your data, remove nash mkinitrd and then reinstall. It might totally break your VM though so make sure you have great backups before you try it.

• Have you tried running "yum clean all" before the update?. I had a few servers that were incorrectly trying to download the updates from the 5.5/ folder in the repos, where the 5/ should be used instead. Cleaning the cache did the trick for me.