Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WordPress - your favourite/useful plugins
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WordPress - your favourite/useful plugins

Hi'ya,

I know alot of peeps use a shitload of plugins which is actually pretty bad. I've got just Yoast seo and w3 cache plugin running and it smooof.

So, what are your favourite plugins / useful plugins?

Comments

• Askimet is a must.

• Akismet
    All In One SEO Pack
    Google XML Sitemaps
    Lite Cache

• wychwych Member

Yoast SEO Plugin, Contact Form 7 & Are You Human.

Rest would depend on the site/theme/nature.

• Akismet is a must, I don't think any WordPress website out there can run without akismet unless they turn off comments. The rest.. Install only what you need, too many plugins may do more harm than good.

• Akismet, Comment Reply Notification, SyntaxHighlighter++, WP-PostViews

• Nginx Helper.

• Quick Cache Pro, Regenrate Thumbnails, Debug Bar

• nunimnunim Member
    edited March 2014

I've always been a fan of minimal WordPress, as I feel that it can be a resource pig, the less plugins the better. The only plugins I typically use are Akismet, W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache and a contact form, Fast Secure Contact Form.

@sleddog said:
    Nginx Helper.

What's the advantage of using nginx helper vs setting the nginx config manually?

• nunim said: What's the advantage of using nginx helper vs setting the nginx config manually?

Nginx Helper is a Wordpress plugin for when you use the nginx fastcgi cache. It manages the cache, purging cache content when you add/edit content within Wordpress.

With the nginx fastcgi cache, caching is done directly by nginx, not by PHP and a wordpress plugin. This makes it very fast :)

• wychwych Member

@nunim said:
    What's the advantage of using nginx helper vs setting the nginx config manually?

Ease?

• Wasn't there a vulnerability issue with W3 Total Cache plugin recently? I like Jetpack :)

• wychwych Member

@mywisp said:
    Wasn't there a vulnerability issue with W3 Total Cache plugin recently? I like Jetpack :)

It wouldn't suprise me, I don't think W3 is as good as it used to be...

• Akismet, limit login attempts, wordfence, contact form 7, contact form DB (for contact form 7), and slider revolution is my usual standard setup. Sometimes youtube gallery or facebook if clients require it.

• Advanced custom field.
    Custom Content Type Manager.

• lewekleoneklewekleonek Member
    edited March 2014
    • Sucuri (the free version) - for security scans.
    • Black Studio TinyMCE Widget, Cleanup HTML - these are good when you need to edit, clean up posted text.
    • WP-Piwik - if you use Piwik analytics platform instead of Google Analytics.
  • Better WP Security anyone?

• BradBrad Member

All in one SEO is pretty easy to use and configure.

• lewekleonek said: WP-Piwik - if you use Piwik analytics platform instead of Google Analytics.

Use them too. I love the integration they provide. For example, I can tag and track images that I post on any site.

said: WordPress - your favourite/useful plugins

Ironically I just switched to Ghost and the one thing I miss are the plugins for WordPress. I have to write all my Ghost "plugins" from scratch.

When I was using WP I loved the Lazy Image Loader to only load images that Users see (speeds up the feel of the site significantly).

• Most of the above and Jetpack too.

NextGEN Gallery for image gallery needs

• W3 Total Cache, Wordfence, Theme Authenticity Checker, UpdraftPlus. I also like this one plugin called "List category posts" which really comes in handy when I want to make quick masterlists of certain categories without having to manually compile the lists myself.

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited March 2014
    • Remove WP version everywhere
    • Broken Link Checker
    • Chunk Urls for Wordpress
    • WP Retina 2x
    • Yet Another Related Posts Plugin
    • WP-Piwik
    • ...and of course Hello Dolly.

I threw out all caching plugins since I'm using the built-in PHP opcache.

• wych said: Ease?

No :) As I explained above.

• pechspilz said: I threw out all caching plugins since I'm using the built-in PHP opcache.

Opcode caching and content caching are different things....

• nunimnunim Member

@pechspilz said:
    ... I threw out all caching plugins since I'm using the built-in PHP opcache.

Are you running PHP 5.5? Even with opcode caching, I prefer APC, a caching plugin is a good idea.

• EvoEvo Member

Pods

• Visitor Maps is one I use. Shows you all the visitors in a map and also tracks number of visitors, pageviews etc.