Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM VLEB Search Results
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM VLEB Search Results

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited April 2012 in General

Spent some time searching for a lowend KVM to run OpenBSD. My criteria:

• VLEB as in "very low end". Something in the $25-35/year range ideally.
  • good provider
  • 128MB RAM, 5GB (or more of course) disk, 500GB bandwidth (or less)
  • Ideally US-based...not crucial
  • not Hostigation because I already have an awesome Hostigation 128 KVM and for this particular purpose I don't want to put all my virtual eggs in one basket. But otherwise, Hostigation is a slam dunk: $30/year for 128/10/500

My results:

buyvm - Out of stock. I was really shocked by this.

kiloserve - Out of stock and clicking on the KVM link on their page took me to the WHMCS out of stock message with no info on pricing.

TinyKVM - $35/year for 128MB/3GB/500GB. Disk is kind of small and they only are in London for KVM. I have an OvZ with them which has been good. /112 ipv6.

EDIS - $3/month for 256/5G/1TB. They have smaller plans but it's only 1GB disk and that's too small. ipv6 (/112) is another $1/month, otherwise ipv4 only. Chicago.

LoveVPS - $7/month for 384/15/300 (Orlando). Doesn't meet the criteria above but put it here because I did look at them and remember having good service with an Xen box a year or so ago.

Anyone else I'm missing?

Comments

• My TinyKVM box is great, I actually use it for the majority of my online stuff, even though it's most likely the lowest specced box I have.

How about a FreeBSD Jail in Ukraine?
    http://vds6.net/ua46/

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: buyvm - Out of stock. I was really shocked by this.

Troll of the month.

Francisco

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2012

Carstensz Pyramid Server has one 128 in $36

• @raindog308 said: I already have an awesome Hostigation 128 KVM

That sounds singular in my dual location world, plus I should get extra credit for having stock

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said: That sounds singular in my dual location world, plus I should get extra credit for having stock

Yea but you're in the hole on points for being a terrible shill :P

Francisco

• vedranvedran Veteran

@raindog308 said: EDIS - $3/month for 256/5G/1TB. They have smaller plans but it's only 1GB disk and that's too small. ipv6 (/112) is another $1/month, otherwise ipv4 only. Chicago.

Where are you seeing this?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited April 2012

The plan you mentioned is about $5.25 usd per month and that includes ipv6.

• I didn't think we were that unpopular around here :P

• vedranvedran Veteran

KVM 256MB is 3.99 and I believe the price is in €

@vedran said: KVM 256MB is 3.99 and I believe the price is in €

3.99 is if you want ipv6. You might be right on the Euro, though.

• @raindog308 said: You might be right on the Euro, though.

YEs, he says that because is Euro.

@VMPort said: I didn't think we were that unpopular around here :P

I didn't knew about that plan

http://vmport.com/linux-kvm.html

The pound pricing scheme is ugly >_< lol

38 USD

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited April 2012

@raindog308 said: 3.99 is if you want ipv6. You might be right on the Euro, though.

the VRS plans arent KVM, they are VServer. (wont run OpenBSD)

• why OpenBSD? just curious

• AdamAdam Member
    edited April 2012

Was going to say BlueVM, but their 128mb KVM is out of stock.

• flyfly Member

i dont think you need to pay extra for the ipv6's from edis kvm.

• @kbar said: i dont think you need to pay extra for the ipv6's from edis kvm.

^

• You don't pay extra for ipv6. But you need KVM to get ipv6, VRS doesn't support it.

@jcaleb said: why OpenBSD? just curious

Because unlike Linux, it's free! :-)

Sorry, old joke...but in a BSD license vs. GPL license it's true, though I personally do not care.

It's actually my favorite server OS, assuming what I want to do with that server fits. For running the latest/greatest LAMP stack - no. For general Unix - sure. I use Linux or proprietary Unix for most stuff I work on just because that's what other people support, but when possible I like to use OpenBSD.

While OpenBSD is very secure out of the box, at this point Linux has closed the gap and now it's more if a 99.999% vs 99.99% thing. OpenBSD does come with a lot more security care out of the box - e.g., some filesystems are set nodev/nosuid, apache runs jailed by default, PIDs are randomized, etc. There are still some unique things in the BSD world - I don't think Linux has securelevels, where you can make some filesystems immutable so that they can't be changed except by rebooting into the console, or making some files append-only so attackers can't overwrite logs.

All that said, you can certainly make Linux very secure, too.

Do I really need that level of security? Probably not. And of course it's a VPS where you don't control the physical access, so really there are limits.

Anyway, I guess the only true answer is...because I like it :-)

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq1.html#WhyUse

Thanked by 3marrco djvdorp klikli
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2012

@raindog thanks man. just curious maybe it could apply to me. is it good for nginx php mysql stack? is it also like in linux where LNMP ~ 40MB ram consumption?

Honestly, not really.

People do run web servers with php/mysql on it, but you'll probably be happier with Linux, just because 99% of the testing is done on Linux.

I'd probably give the same answer for FreeBSD - sure, lots of people run web servers on FreeBSD, but if you look at the world of *AMP or *NMP stacks, it's an L in the first letter 95%+ of the time.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2012

@raindog if you dont mind, where do you usually use your OpenBSD boxes? meaning, for what purpose do people install OpenBSD on low end VPS?

• @jcaleb said: for what purpose do people install OpenBSD on low end VPS?

Unix geeks fscking around ;)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I prefer pf over anything else, most of the firewall i've around since more than 10 years are based on openbsd. Only it not play very well in most virtualized environment so at time i resort on freebsd which is more vm friendly...

• do they have a clone of pf in linux?

• @raindog308 said: I'd probably give the same answer for FreeBSD - sure, lots of people run web servers on FreeBSD, but if you look at the world of *AMP or *NMP stacks, it's an L in the first letter 95%+ of the time.

Odd, since *BSD was production ready before Linux existed. When I started out in the mid 90's all my servers were FreeBSD, I've only moved to linux as the community seems to larger now, so more support.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @raindor308 i just read blogs about BSD. Its so cool. You can stay upto-date to recent, for so many years, without reinstall.

@DotVPS said: I suggest hostigation KVM as I personally have one.

I'm running OpenBSD on it as we speak :-)

@quirkyquark said: Unix geeks fscking around ;)

Certainly that is a big part of it. I started with SunOS 4.1, so perhaps at heart I'll always be a BSD guy.

@miTgiB said: Odd, since *BSD was production ready before Linux existed. When I started out in the mid 90's all my servers were FreeBSD, I've only moved to linux as the community seems to larger now, so more support.

Yes, exactly. I wouldn't point a newbie at *BSD, just because there is so much more material, tutorials, books, forums, etc. on Linux. Certainly for commercial software, Linux is the dominant Unix - even more than Solaris/AIX/etc. An Oracle rep told me that it is now the most-used platform for Oracle, which is kind of amazing given that stack's long history with Solaris.

Anyway, Linux/*BSD - long live 'em both.

• @DotVPS said: I'm sure @VMPort 's are just as good maybe ill get one on there next LEB offer :)

Thank you :)