Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My router have been hacked !! be careful !!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My router have been hacked !! be careful !!

My router have been hacked by this IP (74.82.207.26), I found that the dns changed from
8.8.8.8 to 74.82.207.26 and this will just happen if someone have the admin password of the router and this will just happen by brute force.
after that I secured my router access with just local network ips.
the ip 74.82.207.26 belong to caratnetworks in Canada so I emailed them to the abuse email.

**be careful of this way, it can log you to fake website and save your passwords **

Comments

• is the router a tg582n by any chance? if not what model

• Jack said: Is that vulnerable?

Is it a router? The answers are linked.

• Jack said: Is that vulnerable?

Yes, VERY

• TarZZ92 said: is the router a tg582n by any chance? if not what model

it's a home router TP-Link
    But I forget to secure the access from outside the local network

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@alsemany said:
    But I forget to secure the access from outside the local network

There's a known vulnerability on stock firmware. Are you using stock, or openwrt/dd-wrt?

• No I don't using that, and also I don't know what they are doing :(
    but in Egypt it's not a fixed IP, simply I will restart the router then I got a new IP,

@alsemany said:
    No I don't using that, and also I don't know what they are doing :(
    but in Egypt it's not a fixed IP, simply I will restart the router then I got a new IP,

Flash openwrt

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • netomx said: Flash openwrt

can it be installed on TP-Link routers !! or this will be installed on my machine !!?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It can be installed in the router, but from your answers, it looks like you will probably not manage it, ask someone to do that for you, maybe a friend working in IT.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Maounique said: It can be installed in the router, but from your answers, it looks like you will probably not manage it, ask someone to do that for you, maybe a friend working in IT.

I already make the router not accessible by WAN, but about openwrt/dd-wrt is not supporting my router , never mind

• RamiRami Member

@alsemany Do you share your internet connection with anyone else?

About dd-wrt you can check their router database dd-wrt.com but I think it can not be done on most Tp-link ADSL routers that used in Egypt

PM me if you need help with dd-wrt

I'm Egyptian too ;)

• @alsemany

If you have the opportunity i suggest you to buy a reliable router like this:

routerboard.com/RB951-2n

Recommended price is $45, and it's not a consumer grade router.

And if you're not a techie guy, ask someone to configure it for you. Way better than using a TP-Link router.

• @pbalazs123 said:
    alsemany

If you have the opportunity i suggest you to buy a reliable router like this:

routerboard.com/RB951-2n

Recommended price is $45, and it's not a consumer grade router.

And if you're not a techie guy, ask someone to configure it for you. Way better than using a TP-Link router.

Yes, MikroTik/Routerboard all the way. I got my RB2011 recently and I simply love it. Configuration has a bit of a learning curve but it's an awesome piece of machinery!

Thanked by 1Gien

Too bad it is not gb :(
    My software router has issues coping with the throughput and number of connections, but i run it on a silent brazos board in a VM. I may need a hardware one, but they are quite expensive on gb.

• Rami said: About dd-wrt you can check their router database dd-wrt.com but I think it can not be done on most Tp-link ADSL routers that used in Egypt

PM me if you need help with dd-wrt

I'm Egyptian too ;)

Ya Hala Ya Rami ,
    No, it's my private LAN in my home, about DD-WRT it's not supporting my router.
    I make the router is accessible by LAN so I can login from anywhere in my home,
    تحيا مصر :)

• pbalazs123 said: Way better than using a TP-Link router

I have secured it , thanks for your advice

Get this if you want a cheap router:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr740n

$22 in my country

• Fritz box da best.

Thanked by 1agentsmith
  • smansman Member
    edited March 2014

I had a dd-wrt flashed router hacked once using a known exploit. It's probably fairly common and all done by bots. It was a few years ago but I think in my case the changes were done in firmware so I couldn't even see the DNS redirects. Had me scratching my head for awhile.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @mpkossen said:
    Yes, MikroTik/Routerboard all the way. I got my RB2011 recently and I simply love it. Configuration has a bit of a learning curve but it's an awesome piece of machinery!

I have worked for a Wireless ISP for 4 years. We have used Mikrotik everywhere. It's an amazing stuff. Also Ubiquiti is another successor. I can recommend for everyone.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • RamiRami Member
    edited March 2014

alsemany said: Ya Hala Ya Rami , No, it's my private LAN in my home, about DD-WRT it's not supporting my router. I make the router is accessible by LAN so I can login from anywhere in my home, تحيا مصر :)

I think making the router inaccessible from the WAN will prevent this from happening again :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Maounique said:
    Too bad it is not gb :(
    My software router has issues coping with the throughput and number of connections, but i run it on a silent brazos board in a VM. I may need a hardware one, but they are quite expensive on gb.

Heres one with Gb ports:

routerboard.com/RB951G-2HnD

Still acceptable price.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Rob92Rob92 Member

I feel so outdated now :( Still rocking my WRT54G with dd-wrt...

Thanked by 2netomx TheHackBox
  • Rob92 said: I feel so outdated now :( Still rocking my WRT54G with dd-wrt...

Just switched over last week to a new router. Might have a bit of fun with the old guy. I did see a tut for a rc car camera system thingy

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I love my Asus N66U :)

• @Rob92 said:
    I feel so outdated now :( Still rocking my WRT54G with dd-wrt...

It is still one of my favorite routers to this date.

Thanked by 2Maounique Pwner
    edited March 2014

TheHackBox said: It is still one of my favorite routers to this date.

Mine is the GL version, got is second hand long ago broke one antenna dropped it once and it splashed open, but it is still working...

pbalazs123 said: routerboard.com/RB951G-2HnD

Thanks, I see it has reasonable throughput, it is very cheap for the power and quality, but it is still too expensive, with transport and all will be some 100 $.

• @pbalazs123 said:
    Still acceptable price.

This is one of the cheapest places to buy MikroTik/RouterBoard gear: http://www.eurodk.com/

It's a Latvian company, just like MikroTik, and they have like 7 shipping options to choose from. I got mine there. I paid less then 100EUR for the RB2011.