Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sendmail or postfix or [ANOTHERMTA]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

sendmail or postfix or [ANOTHERMTA]

Greetings,

I'm not sure which MTA I shall use. I heard sendmail's configuration is better, but postfix is more secure. Also there are like 100 other MTA's I know nothing about. Which one do you use? And which one is better/can you suggest me?

Comments

• Postfix all the way, it powers our corporate mailservers :>

• Can't go wrong with Postfix IMO. But if you're sending two or three emails a day to known addresses you may want something lighter-weight. Exim4 is nice.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I wish cPanel supported postfix. Then again, I've never had any real problem with exim.

Interesting stats:

http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.201212/mxsurvey.html

48% of Internet MX servers run exim.

• secure

OpenSMTPd by the OpenBSD project.

do I use

Exim is what I'm using now, I'm toying around with OpenSMTPd and will put it in full production once Ubuntu 14.04 (which packages it) goes full release.

do I suggest

Security above all, OpenSMTPd.

• +1 for Postfix

• Rallias said: Security above all, OpenSMTPd.

So you think OpenSMTPd is more secure than Postfix?

1. I don't see a lot of Postfix security advisories in recent months
    2. I trust long established & stable software moreso than new things
    3. Just 'cause it's got "Open" tacked onto its name doesn't make it good :)
  • Postfix isn't all too hard to configure, really. If that is holding you back from setting it up, don't worry; there are plenty of guides around to help you do that. Have a look at Ars Technica's, which explains setting up everything you would need on a mail server, or Linode's.

• What about sendmail? Some people seem to use that too (according to the website raindog308 posted). Also it's pre-installed in the most distros.

• IceCream said: What about sendmail? Some people seem to use that too

I attribute my hair loss to sendmail, trying to figure out how to configure it.

Again, it comes down to what you want to do. If you want to send a few mails then sendmail will work for you. If you want to build a mailstack with spam & virus filtering and queue re-injection, etc., then you'll find a helluva lot more documentation for doing it with Postfix than with sendmail.

• sleddog said: Just 'cause it's got "Open" tacked onto its name doesn't make it good :)

It's not that it has "Open" in it's name, it's that it's made by the OpenBSD foundation, an organization that has a reputation for developing extremely secure software such as that which is running as the default SSH daemon for the largest Linux distributions in the world.

Thanked by 2raindog308 gattytto
  • +1 Postfix. In my opinion, Postfix is easier to configure than Sendmail, plus a very large user base to help with any issues. Postfix is as stable and secure as Linux software comes, but perhaps I'm a little bias. One of the first things that I do with a new server is to purge Sendmail and apt-get postfix.

Another important thing to look at is what is the industry using? What software (Dovecot, Zarafa, etc.) has official support for the MTA of your choosing. I see primarily Postfix, Sendmail and Exim4.

And I agree with @IceCream, Sendmail is pre installed on all Ubuntu servers (plus many others). This means Sendmail is supported by a huge community and has passed the community's tests in field.

• said: heard sendmail's configuration is better,

No. sendmail configs are nightmare to configure and deal with. Yes, they are more flexible but only because they are macro-language actually. But really, they are nearly impossible to read or deal with. And with current postfix you can do anything you can with sendmail anyways and at least it has human-readable configs.

Today you go with either postfix or exim. No sendmail unless you've knew and used it before and already learned its config syntax.

• any other than sendmail

• exim4 or dma for local only mail delivery.

I'm gonna try opensmtpd, I like it's config syntax.

Thanked by 1gattytto
  • If all you need is non-local delivery (smarthost) then I'd recommend nullmailer forwarding through sendgrid. I only have a small number of outgoing emails a day from my servers, so I fit within the free 200 per day and this suits me well.

This has reduced the headache of managing blacklists, being flagged as spam etc. It also means that there is no risk of running an open relay :)