Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

divide to reign, different specs VPS for different uses
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

divide to reign, different specs VPS for different uses

gattyttogattytto Member
edited March 2014 in General

Hello!

I was just wondering what would be the desired specs or "kind of" vps to use in different parts of the same "infrastructure"...

(specs as ~around min/max)...

In one hand we have [A] server | ~3/10GB SSD + ~256/512 RAM + 500/2000GB BW

In the other hand I see [B] server | ~10/50GB non-ssd + 64/256 RAM + 200/1000GB BW

let's put as a simple scenario, a Live Streaming(from live users, not from content) + Content Uploading social Network kindof platform (just as an example! let's not just focus on the specifics of the idea please). So the users FIGHT for a place in a schuedule and gain the chance to live-stream a music event or whatever. The rest of the users will consume that stream from their puters/cellphones/etc...

My thoughts are that it would be a correct approach to use [A] as:

• the server for the main database(users, social network messages and posts, let's say simple plain text), the web-services (for mobile).

• maybe the web-site.

• acting as the pre-schueduled streaming server.

And then to use [B] for:

• music covers

• music files from the artists that fight for the streaming

So users uploaded files could also be streamed from the server [B] (maybe a sample for bandwidth saving) and downloaded as zips.

Besides I'm skipping the subject on the billing platform and all the rest, is this totally wrong? I'm not really sure if I will need lots of ram for a file server or the minimum will be just fine. In the case that the main db is stored in a different server with the web-service and the web-site.

So just 2GB(storage) for web+db would be good for starters in the streaming server? I'm assuming SSD will improve (at least a little) the caching and loading speeds on the web-part, so I can skip from caching db stuff in memory and save as much as possible for the streaming part.

the feedback will be muy agradecido! :)