Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why postfix is always in queue instead of sending mails?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why postfix is always in queue instead of sending mails?

jrdaijrdai Member
edited March 2014 in Help

I was trying to configure the postfix to send mail only.

Mar 21 06:36:50 localhost postfix/postfix-script[8747]: starting the Postfix mail system
Mar 21 06:36:50 localhost postfix/master[8748]: daemon started -- version 2.6.6, configuration /etc/postfix
Mar 21 07:14:21 localhost postfix/pickup[8750]: 7443121B13: uid=0 from=
Mar 21 07:14:21 localhost postfix/cleanup[8852]: 7443121B13: message-id=<[email protected]>
Mar 21 07:14:21 localhost postfix/qmgr[8751]: 7443121B13: from=, size=513, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

# mailq
-Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
7443121B13*     513 Fri Mar 21 07:14:21  [email protected]
(connect to mta7.am0.yahoodns.net[98.138.112.38]:25: Connection timed out)
                                            [email protected]

# postconf -d mydestination
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
# postconf -d inet_interfaces
inet_interfaces = all

Anyone has a clue?

Comments

• khavkhav Member

It will be a bit offtopic but if you want the server to send emails online , use
    msmtp its much easier to setup than postfix

http://jesin.tk/how-to-use-msmtp-with-gmail-yahoo-and-php-mail/

Thanked by 1Profforg
  • Looks like connection timed out, maybe the mail server at yahoo its trying to connect to is having some issues.

• jrdaijrdai Member

@khav said:
    It will be a bit offtopic but if you want the server to send emails online , use
    msmtp its much easier to setup than postfix

http://jesin.tk/how-to-use-msmtp-with-gmail-yahoo-and-php-mail/

Thanks for the option.

@rmlhhd said:
    Looks like connection timed out, maybe the mail server at yahoo its trying to connect to is having some issues.

No, I tried hotmail with the same error.

• @jrdai, first you need to check your connectivity. Is your iptables permit outgoing smtp-connections?

Also you may try to connect remote smtp server using telnet. Just try to execute following command from shell:

telnet 98.138.112.38 smtp

If you will see proper response from remote server - it's postfix issue. If no connection - check firewall or contact your hosting provider.

• jrdaijrdai Member

It turns out that the DC is blocking the port 25. I need to use their FREE relay server which has a 100 mails per day restriction, great!

• @jrdai said:
    It turns out that the DC is blocking the port 25. I need to use their FREE relay server which has a 100 mails per day restriction, great!

Redstation or something?

• @jrdai You can use ssmtp with mailgun.org on port 587. Fast, low resource sending only mail server.

Thanked by 1jrdai
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@jrdai said:

More and more DC's are doing this as a way to fight spam. Which is pretty good. Unless you are a paranoid person and don't want to relay your emails via the provider.

• jrdaijrdai Member

@0xdragon said:
    Redstation or something?

You are damn right.

pbalazs123 said: You can use ssmtp with mailgun.org on port 587. Fast, low resource sending only mail server.

Thanks buddy, but I am afraid that port 587 may not work, because when I tried to change the default port 25 to 587 on postfix, it failed. I'll try anyway, thanks.