Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interest in LXC/OVZ containers (IPv6 only) within Australia?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interest in LXC/OVZ containers (IPv6 only) within Australia?

0xdragon0xdragon Member
edited March 2014 in General

Hey guys!

I've got a few interesting offers from a couple of companies for dedicated servers within Australia, and I am wondering if there is any interest at all in LXC/OVZ containers (with IPv6 only) at a super-cheap "LET" price?

They'd be in Sydney, Australia.

Thanks!

Would you be interested in an Australian VPS with IPv6 only?
  1. Your choices:43 votes
    1. Yes!
      53.49%
    2. No!
      34.88%
    3. Maybe. (Please comment why!)
      11.63%

Comments

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Are you doing it yourself or will it be linked to the Low End Spirit project somehow?

• @Oliver said:
    Are you doing it yourself or will it be linked to the Low End Spirit project somehow?

Doing it myself. However, if they reached out I'd be happy to partner :)

• tomletomle Member, LIR

For a LES price with LES specs, I could imagine getting one just because it'd look cool on my ServerStatus board :)

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited March 2014

Since I live and Work in Sydney, and all my websites are locally focussed, I would love not to have my sites on the end of a 150ms ping. The lack of IPv4 would not be that helpful. One IPv4 to share amongst the sites, and then a dedicated IPv6 for each site would have my interest. Even the option of an IPv4 at extra cost would be okay.

Any further info about the service? Globalswitch? Equinix? Other DC?

I have some experience in the VMware side of things, please feel free to give me a yell if you want someone else on this.

• If it is <$7/year + shared ipv4 then I'll be sure to grab one ;) But the specs need to be at least 128mb though. LXC would be nice as I've never tried a vps with LXC

• WorldWorld Veteran

Well,i think if have one ipv4 address maybe better,because some countries(China..etc.) IPV6 not working at this time.

• @Monsta_AU said:
    Since I live and Work in Sydney, and all my websites are locally focussed, I would love not to have my sites on the end of a 150ms ping. The lack of IPv4 would not be that helpful. One IPv4 to share amongst the sites, and then a dedicated IPv6 for each site would have my interest. Even the option of an IPv4 at extra cost would be okay.

Any further info about the service? Globalswitch? Equinix? Other DC?

I have some experience in the VMware side of things, please feel free to give me a yell if you want someone else on this.

Shall do. No more info at this point, it's just a start of an idea :)

• Just going to bump this :)

I'm going to rack some really awesome hardware at GlobalSwitch DC tomorrow, so maybe this idea will finally come to fruition!

More news coming soon.

Thanked by 3AutoSnipe trewq chrisp
  • i hope everything works out.
    A big YES! from me, although IPv4 would be a plus :)

• Keep in mind that LXC is not safe atm. Ubuntu tried to make it more secure using AppArmor but that's still a work in progress.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Don't mean to hijack but I recently worked on a Low End Spirit location with Inception Hosting so there's already OpenVZ ipv6 with NAT available in Sydney.

Are you running your own network @0xdragon or on someone elses? AFAIK not that many providers are offering dedicated or colocation from GS anymore since Equinix has grown so much in Sydney and NextDC is getting a big chunk of the market as well...

• @Oliver said:
    Don't mean to hijack but I recently worked on a Low End Spirit location with Inception Hosting so there's already OpenVZ ipv6 with NAT available in Sydney.

Are you running your own network 0xdragon or on someone elses? AFAIK not that many providers are offering dedicated or colocation from GS anymore since Equinix has grown so much in Sydney and NextDC is getting a big chunk of the market as well...

Own network :)

Yeah, I know that. But GS is still really decent, and I'm happy that I can get anything racked here in Sydney.

I'm not going to be competing in price (or really, at all with you), but this is intended as both a learning exercise and a test run. Any profits will probably be donated to charity. I honestly think that your services are excellent (hell, I have one of those LES Sydney boxes).

• Two blades racked and ready to go at globalswitch! :)

• @0xdragon said:
    Two blades racked and ready to go at globalswitch! :)

So you know how your reviewing my service for free..... :P

When can i start throwing money at you?

Thanked by 1ATHK