Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Installing SphinxSE on MySQL 5.*
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Installing SphinxSE on MySQL 5.*

WilliamWilliam Member
edited April 2012 in Help

Hi,

Anyone did this before?
I currently have Sphinx running on an old Debian lenny with MySQL 5.1.
Now i want to switch to Squeeze (or any other actual OS, prefer Debian/Ubuntu/Debian-based) but i can't get the Sphinx storage engine to work at all.

I do:
Install MySQL from Debian/Dotdeb repo
Install source from the repo
Copy SphinxSE source in the MySQL source tree
Configure with options from mysqlbug / http://sphinxsearch.com/wiki/doku.php?id=sphinx_sphinxse_on_debian5
Compile it - no errors
Copy the plugin into the plugin dir
Restart MySQL and load the plugin - no errors
Compile Sphinx (2.0.4) and install it
Configure Sphinx, load the normal table into MySQL and rebuild the index - no errors
Start searchd
Create table with the SphinxSE engine - Error: ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '158.255.211.98' (111)

This is where i hang, according to Sphinx forums this is caused because the plugin is not compatible with the Server and crashes the server.
Now i am kinda lost, since i can't really use any other compiler options that the ones provided by the debian package (which should 1:1 match, since well, it are the options from the Debian package)...

Does anyone by any chance has a tip to get this piece of s*** running?
Or, even better, a .deb/.rpm with Sphinx, MySQLd, SphinxSE and the needed Libs for automatic install? I'm even ready to pay for that complete package...

Thanks,
William

Comments

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited April 2012

That seems more like a generic MySQL connection error.
    Looking at the error message, you're connecting to a remote MySQL server, right?
    Are you sure your IP is allowed to connect to the MySQL server?

• No, this is not a generic error - I just use connectivity over IP instead of localhost.
    Since i AM already connected when this error appears, and it appears milliseconds after trying to use SphinxSE AND crashes mysqld it certainly is a SphinxSE error.

• Was there anything in error.log?

• Sadly not :(

It seems that this is a general problem, i try some other solutions now that seem to work better - We'll see