Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Breezehost is going to start KVM Virtulization :) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Breezehost is going to start KVM Virtulization :)

2»

Comments

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited April 2012

@Breezehost said: Still waiting for good suggestion from you about location as well as configuration.

LOL, that is your job as the web host, not the community's.

You are obviously not ready if you cannot decide your own locations, and configurations.

• To recap my response when this topic last came up:

Anywhere in Asia/Pacific/Africa/Middle East. US/Europe is already saturated.

• @Breezehost manila, taiwan, malaysia. because it's near my country =)

• @Aldryic said: Seriously? Are you just hurting for a business model that's sustainable, or do you honestly have no clue what you're doing?

I would say the latter!

In all honesty it sounds like they have no idea what they are doing over at BreezeHost.

• @LV_Matt said: In all honesty it sounds like they have no idea what they are doing over at BreezeHost.

That would explain the multiple deadpool listings.

Thanked by 1Boltersdriveer
  • @Aldryic said: That would explain the multiple deadpool listings.

+100

• flyfly Member
    edited April 2012

here's what i look for in a kvm provider:

1) disk.

I don't need blazing fast speeds from kvm, but I do need a provider that can give me a responsive disk with virtio, preferably controlled client side on the new solus panel. With what I've seen, anything above 100mB/s on a dd test (dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync) is good. The key here is reliability. The difference between 100mB/s and 50mB/s may not seem that big in terms of numbers, but it is usually a symptom of other factors, like abusers, etc.

2) network stability

I need that 99.9%. It's a no brainer, should be a standard feature.

3) IPV6

Gotta love those vanity irc hosts. Get native or get out.

4) iso's

I'm usually a freebsd/archlinux guy when I get my hands on a kvm. I'm not turned off if those aren't in the default list in solusvm, but I want support to be able to get it on there for me in a reasonable amount of time.

5) rdns

Set client side. Goes with 3).

Thanks guys.

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • @kbar said: 3) IPV6

Gotta love those vanity irc hosts. Get native or get out.

You make that sound as if the provider has a choice, which they may not while trying to offer unique locations not offered by others and are at th mercy of the datacenter or bring in their own transit.

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

@kbar said: that can give me a responsive disk with virtio, preferably controlled client side on the new solus panel

This is one of the reasons I still prefer Xen HVM to KVM; virtio has been a bit too unpredictable on the VPSs I have tried it.

@kbar said: I'm not turned off if those aren't in the default list in solusvm

Although ISOs are the best, can't you just install those over PXE?

• flyfly Member
    edited April 2012

@miTgiB said: You make that sound as if the provider has a choice, which they may not while trying to offer unique locations not offered by others and are at th mercy of the datacenter or bring in their own transit.

yeah. but as you know tunnels aren't great performers. So people who don't know how to turn off ipv6 might get confused when their wget/ssh/irc doesn't work/is super slow.

For example, the tunnel you had in charlotte before getting native ipv6 wasn't bad in terms of speed or anything, it was just adding 150ms to the route. In addition, I've heard people from around IRC getting irc blocked by tunnelbroker, and losing a bunch of hosts on the tunnels. My bit about ipv6 was for hosts who have a choice (are expanding to a new location) about the matter. If you have good ipv4, and your tunnel isn't crap, I'll take it as well, but native > all.

@quirkyquark I tend to go the opposite way, maybe just because I've gotten virtio to work on all of my kvm's besides buyvm :|

• @kbar said: the tunnel you had in charlotte before getting native ipv6 wasn't bad in terms of speed or anything, it was just adding 150ms to the route.

The routing was total crap for that, I still run the tunnel in Rock Hill as Cogent has the worst IPv6 routing table I've ever seen, and I was a CRL leased line customer at one point, so that is pretty bad.

• @liam said: You still offer Rockhill?

I do not, but I still work at the data center