Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two IPs in one machine, can I set up two hostname?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Two IPs in one machine, can I set up two hostname?

jrdaijrdai Member

I've got two IPs in one of my VPSes.

Because some mail servers checks to see if emails coming from a particular IP matches the hostname of the server it is sent from. I wonder if I can setup two hostnames that matches those two IPs accordingly?

Comments

• What's the OS?

• mikegmikeg Member

Are you referring to Reverse DNS addresses? If so, then no you can't have 2 RDNS for 1 IP.

• VPNVPN Member
    edited March 2014

@mikeg said:
    Are you referring to Reverse DNS addresses? If so, then no you can't have 2 RDNS for 1 IP.

He doesn't want to setup 2 RDNS entries for 1 IP, he has 2 IPs.

@jrdai if you mean RDNS then yes you can have a separate entries for each.

Most VPS providers will have the RDNS options in the VPS control panel, otherwise you can email your provider and ask them to setup them up for you if you just tell them what you want them set to.

Don't forget to do your PTR records in DNS as well.

• mikegmikeg Member

OkieDoke said: He doesn't want to setup 2 RDNS entries for 1 IP, he has 2 IPs.

Apologies, I still haven't had my morning cup of tea.

• jrdaijrdai Member

@forthcloud said:
    What's the OS?

Debian 7

@OkieDoke said:
    Don't forget to do your PTR records in DNS as well.

I was asking if two hostnames possible, i can set up the rDNS for both. 'cause u run hostname command, u only got one result.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited March 2014

said: Because some mail servers checks to see if emails coming from a particular IP matches the hostname of the server it is sent from. I wonder if I can setup two hostnames that matches those two IPs accordingly?

• Configure your SMTP server so that it's bound to one IP address.
    • Configure your SMTP server's mail name, and create an A record for it in DNS.
    • Configure reverse DNS for your IP address to match your mail name.

'mail name' can be your hostname, or something different. It's the name your mail server uses to identify itself.