Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

US to release ICANN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

US to release ICANN

VPNVPN Member

Just seen on BBC news that the US government has decided it wants to cut all ties with ICANN and the running of the internet.

Looking for private companies and representatives from various country governments to effectively invest in running it from now on.

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26033686

Comments

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited March 2014

First discussions on the transition are supposed to start in two weeks at ICANN49

• ballard26ballard26 Member
    edited March 2014

Hopefully we get a good distribution of companies from various countries to run it. Though to be fair, I must say that despite rather ineffectual monitoring by the NSA, the USA has some of the most relaxed policies when policing the internet; especially when compared to some European and Asian countries.

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited March 2014

Liam said: ICANN should just come under the direct mandate of the UN instead

Are you serious? The ravening Wolf?! ;-)

Liam said: from a neutral country

I am not sure there is still any such .....

• Liam said: It's the lesser of two evils, a global organisation or one country? I know what I'd pick.

I was not entirely serious -> http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/61780

Liam said: But operating and being headquartered in somewhere like Iceland would be good, as the government has laws in place to protect free speech etc and is seen as a more neutral place than USA/China/Britain etc.

I think its a difficult call. While the UN would be in theory the perfect organisation for this area it hasnt shown perfect objectivity or neutrality in the past and present either. But I'd also say Iceland would be a wiser choice than the other three mentioned countries or even "neutral" countries like Austria or Switzerland.

• @neroux said:
    I think its a difficult call. While the UN would be in theory the perfect organisation for this area it hasnt shown perfect objectivity or neutrality in the past and present either. But I'd also say Iceland would be a wiser choice than the other three mentioned countries or even "neutral" countries like Austria or Switzerland.

Yet, the UnoCity in Austria is a complete neutral country (read: extraterritorial area, only UN-law) that only belongs to the UN (no country, no one-faced politics).

• The best option would be EU/US and PR China/Russia creating a four-way equally split-power body for this purpose.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2014

Liam said: I'm not even sure if there has every been a neutral country

No country was ever and no country will ever be neutral - You either get influenced by your neighbours or just what we call Realpolitik by a economically or militarily stronger country.

skagerrak said: Yet, the UnoCity in Austria is a complete neutral country (read: extraterritorial area, only UN-law) that only belongs to the UN (no country, no one-faced politics).

That is... not entirely true, as Austria still has a backdoor to protect it in a war scenario and to take control then, further i am fairly sure a full extraterritorial status would violate our post 1945 constitution (which fixes the integrity of Austria and grants the states some privileges as well as solving the South Tyrol question in parts).

Though i'd like to see the ICANN in Austria i would not want the Austrian government have influence in it, they are not to be trusted either.