Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

30 day review/first impression of VULTR.com - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

30 day review/first impression of VULTR.com

2»

Comments

• @myhken said:
    Reply from support now about the reduced speeds:

Not anything about why they have reduced the speed, nothing about they fixing it now, but that it will be better later on.

I got the same reply from the same person, later on being a few days hopefully.

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited March 2014

Today VULTR has 7 of their 12 locations online:

They have also added 256 MB more of RAM on the lowest plan (still the same price) And they have lowered their monthly price on the 1 GB RAM plan from $8 to $7/mo.
    Is this correct @DaveA ?

Edit: I can see that VULTR has reduced SSD disk on their lower plans, from 20 GB to 15. from 30 GB to 20 GB. Not a good thing. But they have increased the SSD storage on the two biggest plans. Still, why not keep 20 GB and 30 GB on the two lowest plans @DaveA ?

• They just posted this on their Twitter:

50% More RAM. $5[0.007/hr] gets you 768Mb RAM now! Join Vultr as we soar above the competition! Launch in < 60 seconds!

• DaveADaveA Member

We increased RAM, lowered pricing, and adjusted SSD storage. Enjoy the new plans!

• @DaveA - why did you reduce the storage on the two lowest plans?

• DaveADaveA Member

myhken - to benefit our customers.

• Ok then, if you say so. I'm not going to use your 4 or 8 GB RAM instances, so I will get less disk storage. But if you say that I'm will benefit of that....maybe I will then, just don't see how.

• DaveADaveA Member

@myhken - In most cases, customers benefit from additional RAM, more so than additional storage. We've also lowered pricing. Windows also runs better with additional RAM and when we allow ISO's more RAM will clearly be beneficial in the long run, in our opinion.

• @DaveA I can see the Windows point, there more RAM is better yes. You wont reduce the storage on already deployed instances? If not, it's not a big issue for me.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2014

@DaveA said:
    myhken - In most cases, customers benefit from additional RAM, more so than additional storage. We've also lowered pricing. Windows also runs better with additional RAM and when we allow ISO's more RAM will clearly be beneficial in the long run, in our opinion.

Translation: RAM is far cheaper than SSD disk space. We rather provide you more ram and reduce your hard drive allocation so we can sell more VM's per hypervisor as this will leave us with more storage available. For every 3 people we reduced from 20Gb to 15Gb, we can fit another $5.00/month instance on that server. The same applies to all tiers.

You can over allocate RAM, however, in most cases you can't over allocate space with KVM. So the argument about reduced prices etc is just a way for them to cover up that they want to fit more servers per hypervisor and couldn't do it before because of the lack of available hard drive space.

I mean they can say that is not the case, but it makes the most logical sense.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1smile93
  • tchentchen Member

@TheLinuxBug What makes you think they aren't thin provisioned?

• DaveADaveA Member

We're not covering up anything and we do not "over allocate" aka oversubscribe RAM. RAM is dedicated never oversubscribed and never swapped. Our performance speaks for itself.

• TheLinuxBug said: Translation: RAM is far cheaper than SSD disk space. We rather provide you more ram and reduce your hard drive allocation so we can sell VM's per hypervisor as this will leave us with more storage available. For every 4 people we reduced from 20Gb to 15Gb, we can fit another $5.00/month instance on that server. The same applies to all tiers.

This is good layman term. I like it...

• @tchen it is a possibility but for some reason I doubt it. However, I don't work for them or know anything about their infrastructure, so unless @DaveA feels like telling us, we will never know?

I am not even mad (I don't use their services) about it, but the explanation given seems kinda silly and the one I provided sounds a bit more realistic. No provider is just gonna outright tell you they took something from you so they could make more profit, they are gonna try to sugar coat it some how, that is what it sounded like to me in this case.

Cheers!

• udkudk Member

I'd much rather have the extra ram and lose some storage. There are high storage plans (non-ssd) to compliment this.

Any ETA on the other locations?

• DaveADaveA Member

@Udk - Rolling out as we speak. We hope to have all 12 locations fully deployed and available very soon. We also have methods of procedure in place to augment and stay ahead of demand to keep locations fully available at all times. We're investing huge in this, and unlike the guys who have failed twice in the hosting business, we don't need outside investment.

• udkudk Member

That's fighting talk, I like it ;)

Thanked by 1DaveA
  • DaveA said: unlike the guys who have failed twice in the hosting business, we don't need outside investment.

Oh yeah!

• marcmmarcm Member

@DaveA who is still willing to invest money in that black hole? I don't get it.

• iSkyiSky Member

expecting too much for the japan node, jsut got 100GB of the BW :(

• DaveADaveA Member

@marcm - Blackhole?

• marcmmarcm Member

DaveA said: @marcm - Blackhole?

"The other guys" ;-)

Thanked by 1DaveA
  • DaveADaveA Member

@iSky said:
    expecting too much for the japan node, jsut got 100GB of the BW :(

We are exploring ways to offer same bandwidth in Japan as US & EU. No promises, but its a high priority here.

• marcmmarcm Member

DaveA said: We are exploring ways to offer same bandwidth in Japan as US & EU. No promises, but its a high priority here.

My two cents: I would just increase it to whatever is possible for now. I use your various locations in order to set up DNS servers, so bandwidth isn't really a concern for me. However for those that aren't happy with the current allocation on Japan, I'm sure that a bit more would make them happy :-) I guess what I'm suggesting would go hand in hand with that old saying: "something is better than nothing".

• tchentchen Member

At the very least, free inbound would alleviate a lot of worry about someone sneezing DOS attack taking down a Tokyo node.

• DaveADaveA Member

@tchen - great idea , we'll meet about this tomorrow.

Thanked by 1tchen
  • @DaveA I wanted to order 2gb monthly plan at japan and added $25 to account. But, it only shows $5 plan available at japan now. :(