Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to bypass censorship in China?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to bypass censorship in China?

Hello everyone,

I know that there are many Chinese friends between us, so I thought I could ask here. :)
I have a few friends in China that would like to bypass the chinese censorship.

I have tried the Open-VPN + Xor Patch method (with 443 port), but it seems that the connection gets throttled badly at some point.

Is there a better way to paypass the firewall in your experience? Some clever methods maybe? Also, what do you think si the country with best connectivity to China?

Please help the freedom of speech! :)
Thank you!

Comments

• The last time I visited China, which was two years ago, I was able to bypass it using SSH tunnelling along with it's built-in SOCKS proxy. Speed wasn't that fast, but it was enough for regular browsing.

I'm not sure if they've "upgraded" their GFW to stop that yet, but you could always try.

• for best connectivity may be good Hong kong server ?

• lankapartnerhost said: for best connectivity may be good Hong kong server ?

Agreed. Maybe grap a Edis Hongkong VPS and ssh tunnel may help.

I've heard GWF is able to learn and detect web traffic pattern from ssh tunnel though.

• The best thing might be something like https://www.torproject.org/projects/obfsproxy.html.en

• About 25-30% of the servers we provide in HK are used by VPN providers based in China to bypass the censorship. Its always a cat and mouse game, as they upgrade their filters, so the VPN providers change their protocols/services.

• @MarkTurner do you provide hk server? what's package for setup vpn?

• @ttsaon - We have datacentre in HK but its not cheap. There are plenty of cheaper options on the market. I think E3-1230v3 is about $250/month but has direct connectivity into CT/CU

• @MarkTurner do you provide vps?

• @ttsaon - No, but we have plenty of VPS providers based in China who deliver our services. Where are you located?

• @MarkTurner any suggestion about VPS providers

• @ttsaon - PM me where you are located and I'll find some potential options for you

• Thanks for the answers guys. I guess OpenVPN in Hongkong is the best option then...

@MarkTurner - Can you make some good VPS providers public? I'm also interested in them and I think it can be an useful resource for other ppl also. Thank you! :)

• We can't really endorse anyone publicly, if I were to mention a few potential providers then the ones I forgot would probably scream. The ones I have in mind like on QQ so you can just message them assuming you speak Chinese and they'll be able to assist. I'll see what I can find on Monday.

• Best way to bypass the Chinese censorship? Move out of China. Make sure to tell the government that you moved out because of the censorship.

• tchentchen Member

Nah, the best way to avoid Chinese censorship is to become a high ranking party member :P

• hiphiphip0hiphiphip0 Member
    edited March 2014

Well, there are so many ways to bypass, pptp,l2tp,softether all works fine, I use them everyday.

My best suggestion is shadowsocks, it has client on both windows and linux and android and ios and openwrt, it has python, go, libev, libuv, ruby, node-js ... version. @rsk on Pakistan post: shadowsocks.org

If you travel to china, don't have to worry about bypass, there are at least hundreds of providers providing bypass services, from ssh to all kinds of vpn. They have nice design websites, clients and apps, they developed own billing software or use whmcs extensions to sell and affiliate all kinds of plans. Some of them even build a system in almost every province to moniter the fastest route abroad. And their service is cheap, 1.6$ to 10$/ month, or 10$ per year.

I don't want to mention too much here, bypass is a common skill now, there are tons of tutorials with detailed step by step commands on the web.

Thanked by 1DarioX
  • @hiphiphip0 said:
    Well, there are so many ways to bypass, pptp,l2tp,softether all works fine, I use them everyday.

My best suggestion is shadowsocks, it has client on both windows and linux and android and ios and openwrt, it has python, go, libev, libuv, ruby, node-js ... version. rsk on Pakistan post: shadowsocks.org

If you travel to china, don't have to worry about bypass, there are at least hundreds of providers providing bypass services, from ssh to all kinds of vpn. They have nice design websites, clients and apps, they developed own billing software or use whmcs extensions to sell and affiliate all kinds of plans. Some of them even build a system in almost every province to moniter the fastest route abroad. And their service is cheap, 1.6$ to 10$/ month, or 10$ per year.

I don't want to mention too much here, bypass is a common skill now, there are tons of tutorials with detailed step by step commands on the web.

First of all: great post and thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to hear!
    I was asking about the best way to bypass the censoships IN YOUR OPINION and that is exactly what you did. I know that there are many ways, but for example I didn't know about shadowsocks - sounds very interesting indeed. :)

If you could suggest some good providers (I don't know any with such cheap prices + quality), it would be really great (also via PM).

Thank you again!

• I used to use hamachi/vnc to my home pc here while I was in china

• So how do you use shadowsocks + openvpn? Or what configuration can you recommend?

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

Normally only ssh and pptp can be resolved, use Kong and Japan network proxy is a good choice.

• WoopWoop Member

@tchen said:
    Nah, the best way to avoid Chinese censorship is to become a high ranking party member :P

Kind of funny, I know a couple of Chinese guys here in NZ who's parents are in politics in China. Apparently they send them here so they don't get kidnapped for a ransom (supposedly NZ is the safest place to be).

They live pretty well though, one guy has not 1 but 2 Lamborghini Aventadors and he's only 24.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

Shadowsocks works great at my home. PPTP, L2TP, SSH tunnel are all blocked...