Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

nLayer to become Tinet
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

nLayer to become Tinet

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Posting this as it impacts us -- ColoCrossing uses nLayer in a few of our markets. Should result in an improved network experience, seeing as the combined networks will have greater capacities and improved routes.

Dear Valued Clients,

As you may be aware, GTT has completed the acquisition of several prominent Network Service Providers over the past few years, including nLayer Communications (AS4436) on May 1, 2012, and the Tinet Global Data Network (AS3257) of Inteliquent on April 30, 2013. Since then, we’ve been working to prepare for the eventual integration of these, and our other acquired networks, into a single consolidated backbone, capable of providing unmatched speed, simplicity, and agility for our clients.

Today, we are pleased to announce that we’re ready to begin the next stage of our efforts, by scheduling the migration of client services towards this single consolidated backbone network. As we move forward, we have elected to retain the Autonomous System Number of 3257 for our combined global network, and to migrate our clients towards our all Juniper MX-based infrastructure, built using the best-of-breed routing technologies from all of our network acquisitions. GTT’s AS3257 is well established as a global Tier 1 network and the fourth largest IP network in the world. We will continue to build on this foundation as we work to integrate the best elements from each network acquisition.

Shortly, you’ll receive a scheduled maintenance notification announcing the specifics of these migration efforts and how your services will be affected. These notices will be sent in advance of any planned activity, and the work will be implemented in a staggered approach minimizing any potential disruption for you. In some cases, clients will need to update their router configurations to support the new network, but we will make every effort to keep these required changes to a minimum. We’ll also take extra caution with our multi-homed and multi-location clients, for whom these types of moves can be a more complicated endeavor.

We’re very excited to be moving forward with this next stage in our evolution. We look forward to offering our clients a more robust and reliable network as a result. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your GTT Account Executive. Their name and contact information can be found on our Client Portal at www.gtt.net or on your Service Order Form.

Thank you for your continued support as we work towards building the best IP network in the world.

Sincerely,

Richard A Steenbergen
Chief Technology Officer
GTT Communications, Inc.
Founder, nLayer Communications Inc.

Thanked by 1Mark_R

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member

AWESOME!!!

• said: improved network experience

I'm not 100% positive of that statement. nLayer used to be great due to Gblx transit. Dropping that well... hopefully it improves.

• They will probably still have the same shitty network with 20% packet loss everywhere as usual.

-Yawn-

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@TheCTS said:
    They will probably still have the same shitty network with 20% packet loss everywhere as usual.

-Yawn-

Where do you see problems in particular?

• jbiloh said: Where do you see problems in particular?

nLayer and TiNET being DDoS central. Everyone DDoS protection company I come to think of uses them.

CloudFlare
    Staminus
    CNServers
    Black Lotus

Lots more. All TiNET / nLayer as a major provider and most of them in LA. For the price they offer, I doubt they can tank it all.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Only a few months ago they were assuring us the networks would not be merging :/

• TheCTSTheCTS Member
    edited March 2014

@jbiloh said:
    Where do you see problems in particular?

If you're honestly wondering, it was always the first hop right after ColoCrossing and ServerCentral (in Chicago). I sent a ticket into ChicagoVPS a long time ago about it. They said they were, "going to submit a ticket to their upstream" since I sent them multiple MTRs showing the high packet loss.

I never heard anything back, so I got rid of my VPS at ChicagoVPS.

Edit: ServerCentral has been looking pretty shit tier lately, too.

• TheCTS said: Edit: ServerCentral has been looking pretty shit tier lately, too.

Nah, just anything nLayer sucks right now. TiNET routes via nLayer sucks. Over capacity trying to save CloudFlare.

TheCTS said: If you're honestly wondering, it was always the first hop right after ColoCrossing and ServerCentral (in Chicago). I sent a ticket into ChicagoVPS a long time ago about it. They said they were, "going to submit a ticket to their upstream" since I sent them multiple MTRs showing the high packet loss.

I never heard anything back, so I got rid of my VPS at ChicagoVPS.

Edit: ServerCentral has been looking pretty shit tier lately, too.

That looks like ICMP priority.

concerto49 said: Nah, just anything nLayer sucks right now. TiNET routes via nLayer sucks. Over capacity trying to save CloudFlare.

Every major tier 1 has been impacted by NTP. nLayer, in our experience is no different, but they have taken numerous steps recently to isolate the network from vulnerability.

• jbiloh said: Every major tier 1 has been impacted by NTP. nLayer, in our experience is no different, but they have taken numerous steps recently to isolate the network from vulnerability.

That's not the point. See my previous reply on nLayer being the host of DDoS protection.

• marcmmarcm Member

concerto49 said: That's not the point. See my previous reply on nLayer being the host of DDoS protection.

What kind of hit would you say they're taking because of CloudFlare? Must be pretty profitable.

• marcm said: What kind of hit would you say they're taking because of CloudFlare? Must be pretty profitable.

Most of CloudFlare takes nLayer - look at the blog posts and how nLayer chimed in on the issues. Who else uses nLayer / Tinet? The ddos protection companies.

Of course it's profitable - DDoS = huge traffic = larger pipes = more payment.

• @jbiloh said:
    That looks like ICMP priority.

Maybe some of it, but it's quite noticeable in other ways.

@TheCTS said:
    Maybe some of it, but it's quite noticeable in other ways.

Do you see loss if you trace from your home connection to the CVPS server?

concerto49 said: look at the blog posts and how nLayer chimed in on the issues. Who else uses nLayer / Tinet? The ddos protection companies.

Which blog post?

• jbiloh said: Which blog post?

http://blog.cloudflare.com/todays-network-issue is an example. Ras replies to lots of CloudFlare blogs / outages too (Ras being of GTT).

• marcmmarcm Member

Thanks allot @concerto49, I get the picture now. I just hope that folks who pay $20/mo. for their Pro package don't expect any DDoS mitigation, as it won't happen. The enterprise clients, now that's a different story.

• TheCTSTheCTS Member
    edited March 2014

@jbiloh said:
    Do you see loss if you trace from your home connection to the CVPS server?

If it goes through ServerCentral in Chicago, I get packet loss.

• Hopefully nlayer gets their stuff togther, I'm getting increased ping to florida because of it.

@TheCTS said:
    If it goes through ServerCentral in Chicago, I get packet loss.

The trace route you posted doesn't show end point packet loss. Just router icmp priority.