Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CC was down? DDos attack?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CC was down? DDos attack?

jvnadrjvnadr Member
edited March 2014 in General

LET, LEB and a lot of brands coloed at CC's datacenter NY, were down minutes ago. What was the cause? DDos attack? My bluevm boxes and a gvh vps were also down.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • BlueVM was down too :P

• 0xdragon said: BlueVM was down too :P

Our servers in Buffalo, yes... the rest of our locations and our site were up.

• Is this the first time cc having problem with network? I never saw thay they had a problem before

• lukesUbuntulukesUbuntu Member
    edited March 2014

Yeah i just learnt a valuable lesson today, don't put all your VPS in the same DC, downtime was over 1hr 15mins with 3 different providers. Some reason i thought DC have good redundancy.
    i have several VPS buf colo and last 1.6 years never seen a outage over cple mins.

Thanked by 1Noerman
  • Well it shows that they only have one peering connection?

• ErawanArifNugroho said: Is this the first time cc having problem with network? I never saw thay they had a problem before

Hasn't been one this big in quite a while.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Tonight, while a technician was in the building meet me room completing the installation of additional fiber connections to service our Buffalo datacenter, an error which impacted a master patch panel occurred which caused an interruption of service to all segments of our network. ColoCrossing understands that you rely on our services and that any outage, for any reason, including human error is absolutely unacceptable. Immediately upon receiving notice of the network-down alert ColoCrossing's facilities team began investigating and took action to resolve the outage. In the coming days we will be conducting a full review and will institute changes to our policies to ensure that a similar event cannot impact our network in the future. We appreciate your business and regret any frustration caused.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • PwnerPwner Member

@Fliphost said:

Tonight, while a technician was in the building meet me room completing the installation of additional fiber connections to service our Buffalo datacenter, an error which impacted a master patch panel occurred which caused an interruption of service to all segments of our network. ColoCrossing understands that you rely on our services and that any outage, for any reason, including human error is absolutely unacceptable. Immediately upon receiving notice of the network-down alert ColoCrossing's facilities team began investigating and took action to resolve the outage. In the coming days we will be conducting a full review and will institute changes to our policies to ensure that a similar event cannot impact our network in the future. We appreciate your business and regret any frustration caused.

I'm not one to judge, but are they planning to do anything as a little "kickback" for their customers who suffered downtime during this outage? Discounts, credits, etc.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

This was the first complete network outage we have experienced at our Buffalo datacenter. We are thoroughly investigating the cause and will be sending details to our customers in the next few days. I sincerely apologize for the problem guys, very frustrating I know. We aim to be much better -- and I know that even 1 outage like this is too many.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • @Pwner said:
    are they planning to do anything as a little "kickback" for their customers

SLA

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@Jack said:
    sysadmin was your 1990 router on fire?

hahahahahahhaha.....

• DewlanceVPS said: hahahahahahhaha.....

You should have outsourced autoboot to them.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Jack I recommend you watch "Lord of War" with Nicholas Cage and follow the advice that Simion Weiss gives Yuri Orlov. If not, then watch "Wolf of Wall Street". Jordan Belfort has allot to teach as well ;-)

• marcmmarcm Member

Jack said: Seen it :-)

Did you like it? It's pretty obscene :P

• marcmmarcm Member

Jack said: I thought it was a good film.

Probably about 80% real, 20% fiction. Watch the other one as well, it's old but pretty good. Wasn't a box office hit though.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2014

Wolf of wall street is a stupid movie. Well, the beginning is. Might find the time to finish it at some point perhaps I think different of it.

• marcmmarcm Member

@shovenose "Need for Speed" is out today :D

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

The end is near.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Yay!

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@lukesUbuntu said:
    Yeah i just learnt a valuable lesson today, don't put all your VPS in the same DC, downtime was over 1hr 15mins with 3 different providers. Some reason i thought DC have good redundancy.
    i have several VPS buf colo and last 1.6 years never seen a outage over cple mins.

Geographically dispersed mirror servers with Amazon Route53 for automatic failover (via DNS) is a great combo.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • dnwkdnwk Member
    edited March 2014

where is @GBSHouse 's anycast IP service?

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2014

I like pie ;-)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

or use Rage4 for failover :D