Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to seperate mail server from web server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to seperate mail server from web server

enitan092enitan092 Member
edited March 2014 in Help

Hello guys
i have two cpanel server and i want a domain name to use the two

the first server for http and website

the second for email server.

and i want in a case the http server goes off the email server still stays on
any contribution will be apprieciated

Comments

• you can use backup mx

• Yeah backup mx as a relay.. It's pretty easy to do, google a tutorial there's a few out there

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited March 2014

gonggo said: you can use backup mx

Sounds more like he wants the mailserver to be primary MX :)

You're using cpanel, so I think you're going to have to research how to do it the Cpanel Way.

• @gonggo said:
    you can use backup mx

I don't want them dependent
    where website goes off or the vps hosting the www goes off

users should still be able to send mail I'm and out without issue

• @enitan092 said:
    users should still be able to send mail In and out without issue

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited March 2014

enitan092 said: I don't want them dependent where website goes off or the vps hosting the www goes off

users should still be able to send mail I'm and out without issue

Yes, so one server hosts websites and the second is your primary MX, hosting user email accounts.

If the webserver goes down it does not affect mail. if the mailserver goes down it does not affect websites.

The separation is done at the DNS level. A domain has 'A' records that point to the webserver, plus an 'MX' record that points to the mailserver. The MX record determines where mail is delivered via SMTP.

Users will check their mail via POP or IMAP, so you'll need A records to help them; for example, an A record for 'mail.mydomain.com' pointing to the mailserver. So users would setup mail.mydomain.com in their email program.

On the webserver you configure web hosting for mydomain.com.

On the mailserver you configure mail hosting for mydomain.com.

How you actually do that configuration will be determined by your control panel. As you're using cPanel, you need to start reading cPanel docs and asking cPanel-knowledgeable people for help.

If you were going to do it without any control panel, I could help some more. But not with cPanel 'cause I don't use it :)

• @sleddog said:

I tried editing the zone records in cpanel .
    it works at some point but when the web server goes of , same goes the mail server because the records are located with the webserver

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2014

You should not be using DNS on the same server your providing webservices. I am not sure why this is such a common trend these days; putting 2 ips on a single VPS and serving your dns services from the same server you are hosting sites. It is just silly and as you have noticed allows for a single point of failure. It is also incredibly inconvenient in the case where your server is taken offline for some reason. My suggestion is to:

A. get a separate server for back-ups DNS so during a server failure all your dns servers are not offline.

B. Use a DNS service like rage4, dnsmadeeasy or the similar to serve your DNS. I am sure you can find services for free (rage4 offers x number of hits for free I believe) and there are many other free services out there.

C. Manually manage your DNS away from the cPanel server, while it will prevent auto updates for your customers, at least in this case you will be protected if the server goes down.

The company I work for sells cPanel shared accounts and we actually use a separate DNS cluster and poll updates from the cPanel servers once every 20 minutes. You may ask your host if they offer a similar service and could assist you with setting something like this up.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    You should not be using DNS on the same server your providing webservices. I am not sure why this is such a common trend these days; putting 2 ips on a single VPS and serving your dns services from the same server you are hosting sites. It is just silly and as you have noticed allows for a single point of failure. It is also incredibly inconvenient in the case where your server is taken offline for some reason. My suggestion is to:

A. get a separate server for back-ups DNS so during a server failure all your dns servers are not offline.

B. Use a DNS service like rage4, dnsmadeeasy or the similar to serve your DNS. I am sure you can find services for free (rage4 offers x number of hits for free I believe) and there are many other free services out there.

C. Manually manage your DNS away from the cPanel server, while it will prevent auot updates for your customers, at least in this case you will be protected if the server goes down.

The company I work sell cPanel shared accounts and we actually use a separate DNS cluster and poll updates from the cPanel servers once every 20 minutes. You may ask your host if they offer a similar service and could assist you with setting something like this up.

Cheers!

thanks mate

I will look into this.

• The issue now is pointing mx record to another server.
    i created an account with cloudflare to manage my dns.
    my mx
    mx domain.com -- mail handled by domain.com
    with priority 0
    Automatic

how do i change it to another ip address