Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Streaming HD video from your server, recommend software?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Streaming HD video from your server, recommend software?

Mark_RMark_R Member

Hello,

Currently i'm having a lack of HDD space on my main PC but i have a few bluray movies on one of my servers stored that I wanna watch.

I figured I might aswel set up a video stream on my server and connect to it using my PC, this way I can still watch the movie without downloading the entire 32 GB sized bluray video.

In the past i've used VLC Player as video streaming server but it was really annoying to use because you had to re-adjust many times the codec/encoding settings etc for specific movies to make it playback smooth.

Now I explained the situation a bit my Question to you guys is,

What alternative video streaming software would you recommend for this purpose? the server that is going to run the streaming server runs Debian (Linux) as OS.

Thank you.

Comments

• WHat about this?

http://www.divx.com/en

• infectedinfected Member
    edited March 2014

red5 :)

edit: in case u wonder:
    red5-media-server

@Chathula:
    LOL you are hilarious my friend 10/10

• @infected , what? do u know me?

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Try Plex.

• DciteDcite Member

When you say server, do you mean one on the internet or somewhere on your LAN?

In any case, assuming you have a fast enough network connection, I have actually been able to watch videos over SSHFS (Fuse mount) in the use case of linux to linux

Assuming your connection is strong enough, you can stream the file directly like it's local.

A 200MB Video file that is 25 minutes long streams at 138KBytes/sec

I only need live transcoding for devices which can't handle the original file.. or when the original file has some insane bitrate even after the release encode?

• tommytommy Member

minidlna

• WWW.PLEXAPP.COM

• Plex, pogoplug,

• @Dcite said:
    When you say server, do you mean one on the internet or somewhere on your LAN?

In any case, assuming you have a fast enough network connection, I have actually been able to watch videos over SSHFS (Fuse mount) in the use case of linux to linux

Assuming your connection is strong enough, you can stream the file directly like it's local.

A 200MB Video file that is 25 minutes long streams at 138KBytes/sec

I only need live transcoding for devices which can't handle the original file.. or when the original file has some insane bitrate even after the release encode?

Yeah it is a remote server.

I think that encoding is a good thing to enable to reduce general bandwidth usage and to ensure smooth playback at all times, I'm happy with 720p quality output already.

• @Chathula said:
    WHat about this?

I really like DivX alot and it appears to be having a streaming feature but it is Windows only software.

I'm going to try one of the other suggestions now, thanks guys.

• @Chathula said:
    WHat about this?

Agree!!!

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2014

So far only Plex seems to be an option, but it is kind of too fancy for my intended usage.

Isn't there any stream software similair to VLC Player? basic interface, it just works, no compiling and stuffs.

• VLC!

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2014

@Makkesk8 said:
    VLC!

VLC has a few annoying issues :<

Randomly the stream didn't start (returning some random non-informative error) or the playback was really bad, the only way to get something going was to adjust the encoding settings etc for each video file you wanna stream until it worked.

Lets say it didn't really work flawless and this had nothing todo with the server or it's network.

• DciteDcite Member

At one point I am tempted to try Serviio, but as with most streaming methods.. it eats CPU like no tomorrow if it needs to do live encoding.
    I haven't tried their app recently, but it seems have changed quite a bit since the last time I used it.

As far as making videos smaller.. consider something like HandBrakeCLI to convert the video into something smaller?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Mark_R said:

Well, it works flawlessly on my ovh server without tweaking shit...
    Webserver -> Grab url -> open vlc and input url -> Play

if it don't work, you/the server has a shitty connection. Not true in all cases since I got only 8 mbit and you know how ovh is.

• I would also suggest plex, but it transcodes everything on the fly and if we're talking about a vps the load for transcoding a full bitrate bluray would be huge.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2014

@Makkesk8 said:
    if it don't work, you/the server has a shitty connection. Not true in all cases since I got only 8 mbit and you know how ovh is.

Again, it has nothing to do with the server or its connection. In additional to that, my own connection is fast enough and reliable.

Like i stated in post http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/502145/#Comment_502145 it is just glitching out randomly with non-informative errors.

Consider yourself lucky.

• you can try xbmc, its easy to use even it have many advanced features. i personally using it..
    just add the folder url to xbmc and done.. it have no codec problem for streaming any video.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

I use Serviio to stream from my server to many others device without problem. Just set the transcoding option to meet your requirement.

• There is also Tonido which is very easy to setup

• After trying all suggested streaming software I still wasn't satisfied, I really wanted VLC to work so I started messing with it again. Now I found the issue that caused playback problems, it was codec related.

Right now I set the Transcoding Profile to: MPEG-2 + MPGA (TS) and everything works flawless.

• Plex media center. +1

• nikcnikc Member

How does it work with VLC ? Do you have to set it up and know the stream url or is there a way to browse all content ?

• @nikc said:
    How does it work with VLC ? Do you have to set it up and know the stream url or is there a way to browse all content ?

You choose what file(s) to stream + protocol + encoding settings, then afterwards you connect to the streaming server to see it.

• JakJak Member

i would recommend subsonic http://www.subsonic.org/ marketed as a music streamer it can also play pretty much any format streaming

• tommytommy Member

Jak said: i would recommend subsonic http://www.subsonic.org/ marketed as a music streamer it can also play pretty much any format streaming

+1 :) license only $1/month

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

I'm loving Plex also currently.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

+1 for Plex, it's just perfect, it auto-tags movies with the Movie cover, movie info and just makes everything look so neat!

• vote 4 plex also