Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there something unusual or special about the Windows 2008 offered by hosting companies?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there something unusual or special about the Windows 2008 offered by hosting companies?

rchurchrchurch Member
edited April 2012 in Help

Is it a reduced feature version?

Comments

• AdamAdam Member

2008 was the last server release

• Keyword: was.

• cr08cr08 Member

Windows Home Server and 'Windows Server' are 2 WAY different beasts. Windows Server is meant for the enterprise/'general purpose' usage scenarios whilst WHS is strictly home based use focused on file storage, PC backups and restores, and other home-centric features. So with that said, technically Server 2008 -is- the latest release. Or to be specific, Server 2008 R2 which for all intents and purposes is a new release (compared to 2003's R2 which was more or less a 'service pack' or 'power pack' in how it is distributed/installed). And WHS 2011 is technically based off 2008 at the core, much like WHS v1 was based off 2003/SBS.

Now that that edumucation is out of the way, here is some more! Depending on what specific version of 2008 the host is offering (if they don't specify and simply say 'Windows Server 2008', run away!) will determine how feature packed a version you get. Like previous Server releases you get 'Web', 'Enterprise', 'Datacenter', etc.. But with 2008 you also get 'Core' editions of those which is essentially a GUI-less version designed to keep bare metal resource usage low and administration is more focused on the command line or Powershell.

Thanked by 2eLohkCalb djvdorp
  • The only difference is the licensing model used. Providers have to use microsoft SPLA.

• What I've got says 'Standard',so I guess I am alright then.

How does the 'Web' version differ?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@cr08 said: But with 2008 you also get 'Core' editions of those which is essentially a GUI-less version designed to keep bare metal resource usage low and administration is more focused on the command line or Powershell.

I can't imagine having to manage a Windows server from a command line.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @joepie91 said: I can't imagine having to manage a Windows server from a command line.

There's always Remote Desktop (or VNC, if you prefer...)

edited April 2012

@quirkyquark said: There's always Remote Desktop (or VNC, if you prefer...)

Well yes, but that doesn't do much good on a Core version :P

EDIT: By the way, in my experience RDP works better than VNC, less laggy.

• @joepie91 said: Well yes, but that doesn't do much good on a Core version :P

Why not? It's the same as running VNC on a headless Linux server...

And yes, RDP is a superior protocol which uses some vector elements instead of just bit-banging bitmaps. xrdp works very decently as a VNC proxy, though...

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited April 2012

@rchurch said: How does the 'Web' version differ?

Generally it allows one to run web and only web related stuffs, e.g. DNS, web server, etc.

You might also be interested in looking into this:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/C/6/FC6006B5-866E-42C1-88F8-9AC4B8BC610D/WS Brand Pages - Editions Comparison Guide.pdf

• flyfly Member
    edited April 2012

@quirkyquark said: Why not? It's the same as running VNC on a headless Linux server...

um. how is that different from ssh........................

he means there's no gui, and windows sux w/o gui

• nabonabo Member
    edited April 2012

@kbar said: he means there's no gui, and windows sux w/o gui

That depends on the purpose. Ok, you can't use Minecraft without GUI. But that's also true with Linux. You know the Windows PowerShell, right?

@quirkyquark said: Why not? It's the same as running VNC on a headless Linux server...

What is the purpose of VNC when you have no GUI?