Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean DNS without having a droplet
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean DNS without having a droplet

halczyhalczy Member

So DigitalOcean offer free DNS service for their droplets. I recently just move one of my site to another VPS and I no longer have a droplet with them. Just curious if I can keep using their name server. I'm too ashamed to ask them :p

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why not cloudflare?

• LeeLee Veteran

Not sure if their system would know to remove your DNS, but that said, why take the chance, use Cloudflare as @netomx suggests.

• Cloudflare doesn't work for some of my Chinese visitors thanks to the GFW. DO's working pretty well so far, but I guess to will move back to Namecheap's just in case. Thanks for the input guys.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Namecheap's is historically one of the better-performing free DNS services, it wouldn't hurt to look in HE's free DNS too, they are located on the West Coast as it is

Thanked by 1halczy
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2014

I heard on IRC from someone official that using DO just for free DNS is not their intended scenario, and you really shouldn't do that. Will they really go and implement any restriction, is another question, probably not, or at least I'd espect it to be transparent and obvious when it's added (for example "your zones stop working 30 days after there has been any charge, e.g. from running droplets, on your account").

• I think you'd get away with it, but would you risk it? You could get downtime if they shut you down later on without notice. Best to get something like ClouDNS.net

• Good to know. I guess there's no free lunch/dns from DO.

• Maybe use BuddyNS instead? Set up your VPS as a hidden master, and enable AFXR to their IP addresses. It supports notify, so changes are live on their servers within a minute or two.

I am using their free level (up to 10 domains, 300K lookups per month), and they have a cPanel Plugin which is the business. They have added a number of features to it in the last month, including a couple which I suggested.

If you pay $3/mo you can get a whole heap of extras - vanity nameservers, 3M lookups/mo.... but the free level is sufficient for my personal domain, plus a few lower traffic forums.

• awsonawson Member

I use https://dns.he.net/, pretty solid.

• @awson said:
    I use https://dns.he.net/, pretty solid.

Another excellent choice.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

I use freedns.afraid.net for some 10 years or so, dynamic IPs work well too, they have some downtime now and then, but not hosting anything critical on free services (or which depend on free services somehow).

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Maounique said: I use freedns.afraid.net for some 10 years or so, dynamic IPs work well too, they have some downtime now and then, but not hosting anything critical on free services (or which depend on free services somehow).

What is advantage over hosting your own DNS? Like do you think free services like it would have higher uptime or just not worth the trouble?

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • @perennate said:
    What is advantage over hosting your own DNS? Like do you think free services like it would have higher uptime or just not worth the trouble?

Its realistically only worth it if you intend to do huge bulk edits or want full control over your infrastructure.