Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How important is CPU Cache
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How important is CPU Cache

ronaldgrnronaldgrn Member
edited March 2014 in General

If one had to choose between:

• 3Ghz CPU, 2GB RAM and 8MB cache
  • 3Ghz CPU 4GB RAM and 4MB cache

which would be your choice and why?

Comments

• For what application? How much RAM does it need? Also is the 2GB RAM dual channel (i.e. 2 sticks x 1GB) or single channel (i.e. 1 stick x 2G)?

• For a few wordpress blogs with approx 50,000 hits a day total. Never seen it use more than 1GB of ram.. Also, its a vps so no idea about the dual/single channel part.

• i would choose 2x ram over 2x cpu cache. most programs benefits having more ram over cpu cache.

Thanked by 1ronaldgrn
  • More ram. Setup some hardcore caching with the couple extra gigs.

Thanked by 1ronaldgrn
  • AzureVPSAzureVPS Member
    edited March 2014

From what I've heard, having more CPU cache is only really beneficial when you run something that reads and writes a random areas in a small amount of memory very often

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited March 2014

CPU catch is generally used to speed up memory access. It was designed to decrease latency, and boost the efficiency of the processor (more raw speed). I would go with the better CPU because RAM is cheap - upgrade when needed.

EDIT: Grammar nazi.

Thanked by 1Mun
  • What CPU cache does is basically store CPU instructions on the CPU instead of having to get the instructions from the RAM each time.

• blackblack Member

You have to factor in virtualization. If you're on a dedicated and specifically use it for your wordpress blog, I'd go with the higher cache. If you're on a VPS, I'd go with higher RAM.

• marcmmarcm Member

3Ghz CPU 4GB RAM and 4MB cache - because the performance penalty from loosing 2GB RAM is much much greater than loosing 4MB cache. L2 cache on a server should scale with server size, so if you run lots of virtual machines then it makes sense to have more of it. The same could be said if you are doing number crunching, or other CPU intensive applications that need very frequent access do data.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

I would go for ram too, you can cache a lot in ram (DB queries, tables even the whole DB if not too big, set up a reverse proxy) and this will dramatically improve the speed in most situations, the cpu cache is good in heavy computations, it will never store the queries to the db which are much higher level than the CPU access.
    Basically, CPU cache will make no difference most of the time and when it will do will be very little.

• CPU Cache isn't relevant. Depends on architecture and design of the CPU. It may or may not need the cache. Best to look for actual benchmarks.

Each CPU has a fixed budget - power / heat / die size. In certain cases, it might be good to use more cache, other times more Ghz, more FPU and other units, etc. It's a balance. Simply having more cache doesn't say anything.

• marcmmarcm Member

Anyone here old enough to remember the Duron vs. Thunderbird comparison? It all came down to cache sizes.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

marcm said: Anyone here old enough to remember the Duron vs. Thunderbird comparison? It all came down to cache sizes.

Yes, but those were single core desktop CPUs and these are multi-cores server ones running virtualization, not single-threaded apps. The difference is enormous.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@ronaldgrn said:
    For a few wordpress blogs with approx 50,000 hits a day total. Never seen it use more than 1GB of ram.. Also, its a vps so no idea about the dual/single channel part.

As you can't use more than 1 GB Ram, I would recommend to remain on 2GB Ram so that you can use More CPU Power.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Will this server be dedicated solely to hosting your Wordpress blog? If so, the CPU will not be the bottleneck on either configuration. It's plenty powerful enough to handle the load. You should be more concerned about the disk I/O and memory.