Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server request
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server request

Looking for a quote for the following;

2xL5520
72GB RAM
4x2TB HDD
LSI-9260 RAID CARD
/26 IPv4
/64 IPv6
10TB @ 1gbit port
IPMI

Will get 2 if the price is right, looking to spend $150 at max per server.

Comments

• edited March 2014

@Jack said:
    concerto49

I have contacted them and this is what they're offering but they have a shortage of drives.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited March 2014

ultimatehostings said: I have contacted them and this is what they're offering but they have a shortage of drives.

To be precise, we have lots of 1TB drives. Just not 2TB Enterprise for RAID. It's a rare request. We plan on restocking them, but it hasn't arrived yet.

This was an urgent request - they needed it like ASAP but price concerns. We could overnight ship it but budget.

• marcmmarcm Member

@qps would probably be able to help you.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Those are somewhat tight within that budget... Spend 2x as much would be more reasonable. The power usage!

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the recommendation @marcm, but we can't meet that price with those requirements. You'd be looking at $214.99 per month each in Atlanta. We have everything in stock and can deploy fairly quickly.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited March 2014

Just out of curiosity, why so many VPS providers are so keen of using such an old CPU, Dual L 5520 has a passmark of 7109 which is pretty poor for something professional such as virtual servers & that too when you are looking to put so many VMs on it(as evident from amount of RAM requested)?

• $, that's why.

Thanked by 2ryanarp netomx
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

K2Bytes said: Just out of curiosity, why so many VPS providers are so keen of using such an old CPU, Dual L 5520 has a passmark of 7109 which is pretty poor for something professional such as virtual servers & that too when you are looking to put so many VMs on it(as evident from amount of RAM requested)?

Dual L5520 is a pretty decent setup. We have many customers who use them and they are workhorses. They aren't that far off of some of the E3 systems, and can accept a lot more RAM.

• Off topic but there isn't really anything wrong with the L5520. It is a bit old but it's still more than capable of handling heavy multi-threaded processes. Benchmark scores do not really mean much in real world computing. I'm not saying they should be ignored, but there are other factors that hold more weight than a benchmark score.

• @Jack said:
    I have personally seen Dual L5520 perform better over E3s.

May be it performs as good are better than E3 1220 v1 or E3 1230 V1 but there is no way on earth it would beat an E3 12xx v3 or v2 even.

• @ultimatehostings - Email Steve [email protected] - He will be posting a number of offers on Monday for L5520 amongst other servers. I think he could meet your price point.

• @MarkTurner said:

Location?

• @UltimateHostings - You mentioned Atlanta and Dallas. I know there are L5520 in stock in Atlanta - HP blades and HP pizzaboxes. Dallas I can't check their stock from here.

• @MarkTurner said:
    UltimateHostings - You mentioned Atlanta and Dallas. I know there are L5520 in stock in Atlanta - HP blades and HP pizzaboxes. Dallas I can't check their stock from here.

Any idea of the price of the offers?

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member
    edited March 2014

@ultimatehostings said:
    Looking for a quote for the following;

2xL5520
    72GB RAM
    4x2TB HDD
    LSI-9260 RAID CARD
    /26 IPv4
    /64 IPv6
    10TB @ 1gbit port
    IPMI

Will get 2 if the price is right, looking to spend $150 at max per server.

LSI 9260-4i is PCI express 2.0, you will get better performance with a LSI 9271-4i which will provide you faster access to the raid controller cache etc (2.0 however wont be a writethrough bottleneck as 2.0 is enough for 4x 2tb sata).

edit: nevermind dual l5520 boards are only pci2.0 not 3.0 capable.

Make sure you get a firewall on your IPMI too, get the provider to throw it in for free, because IPMIs are rapidly being exploited when direct connected to the net. The ipmi firmware on the old Dual L5520 machines is currently ~3 years old IIRC.

I would also check the speed of the RAM on the dual l5520 machines, presumably it is 1066 not 1600mhz, as those chipsets are very old now.

Volumedrive might be a good bet for the budget/spec.

• @Incero said:

Hey Gordon!

Thanked by 2SpeedyKVM ryanarp