Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iwStack.com lowering their prices. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iwStack.com lowering their prices.

2»

Comments

• I'd really love to see iwstack add more cusomization options:

• Chooseable cpu cores, so I can spin up instances with a lot of cpu and less ram and vice-versa
    • Lower than 10gb storage
    • Option for SSD storage
    • It would be really cool if you could route IPs over seflow only if they're getting attacked, as seflows network it not as realiable as the prometeus network and seflow seems to be capped at 100mbps and not 1gbps
  • tr1cky said: It would be really cool if you could route IPs over seflow only if they're getting attacked

Unfortunately "the internet" doesn't route individual IPs, the minimum globally accepted is a /24. So this is not possible.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

OK, Many points raised:

1. US expansion:
      Unfortunately, Incero is just not ready for such a deployment, it takes days to replay, and even get no reply on inquiry at all if you do not press the issue. This, coupled with the IPv6 issues, meant we cannot deploy there. Might have something to do with the rumours about their own cloud deployment.
      We contacted other DCs too, we looked first to Florida to serve both americas but either there was no reply, or the answers were not serious, showing no disposition to do serious business. We continue to contact DCs, but finding good network, good support for colo (ATM it is not really possible to use rented servers as our setup is quite different) is hard.
      There is also a very serious risk involved, in EU the law is the law and contracts are respected, in US, the high cost of litigation and added problems for remote litigation make it impractical, so if the US companies do not respect the contracts, the agreements, there is nothing you can do about it, just suck up the loses and move on, but there is a lot bigger loss than the money for the servers, it is credibility to customers, therefore we really have to study the DC well before, this takes a lot of time.
      As for the data spying, yes, there is a big probability the traffic will be intercepted as it is everywhere in the world, this is why we offer IPSec VPN connections to private networks, this is why the connection to the UI is over HTPPS and the master will always stay in the DC we control fully, however, the other encryption is customer's responsibility, we offer KVM, so you can do any custom partition and encryp whatever you wish.

2. tr1cky said: Lower than 10gb storage
      You can do whatever storage you want, just use custom, we do not have templates for lower than 10 GB storage, but that is because it is not a really used kind of deployment.

3. tr1cky said: It would be really cool if you could route IPs over seflow only if they're getting attacked, as seflows network it not as realiable as the prometeus network and seflow seems to be capped at 100mbps and not 1gbps
      We limit 384 MB instances to 100 mbps regardless, this is to prevent DDoS "boxes" and similar abuse. Also the 512 MB one is limited to 300 mbps, that should be perfectly fine for almost any usage for them. There is also no 1000 mbps instance all are limited to at most 600 mbps to prevent port saturation in case of outgoing DDoS or crazy seeders.

4. Yes we will be adding more variated offerings regarding CPU and RAM combinations however, there must be a bit of a corelation otherwise we will end up needing to balance pods out from those that use too much memory to those that use too much CPU and will be hard planning redundancies too.

5. SSD storage can only be in local storage, I mean, yes, it can be in SAN, but most advantages (random seek time) will be gone due to higher latency. We upgraded the storage to double the IOPS and speed, if you really need a very fast DB, you can ether use the offloaded service or run your own SSD VPS, but there will still be some latency, due to it being non-local. You can also put everything in RAM, will be blazing fast.
      That being said, it is likely that the US deployment will start with SSD local storage, however, our latest offer (XenPower) has clearly shown the preference for larger and slower SATA storage, I believe the SSD craze is about to die out. We were sold out in a week on the SATA servers while we still have some SSD stock, even now, despite the ssd servers being smaller.

6. For a typical cloud usage, 1 TB per instance and month, should be perfectly fine. That does not mean you are limited to that traffic, just that, if you go over it will be billed separately, the prices are not so big (2 Eur per TB is a lot?) especially since only the OUTGOING traffic is counted and rates are not the crazy "overages" fees you see at other providers which have the only purpose to squeeze some money from the customer before he realizes his mistake and moves over.

7. fitvpn said: These ,,abusers and spammers,, make billions to DO and Vultr.
      Great! So they have their host, our customers have theirs too. So far, except the miners in the beginning (which we moved all to the same nodes so they only hinder each other), there is no real abuse (people signing up with the intention to abuse) so far, so this is working in saving us a lot of money and time in fighting abuse, money which we can use to lower the prices, for instance, as we just did and time for a better support. Everyone is winning: DO and vultr have their multi-billion business, we have our small one, each has the customers they want, the customers have a big choice, nobody loses anything.

8. The UI is not great, I agree, it is sluggish, and not always intuitive, we are once again testing (and even have a customer which signed up when the product was available during tests) the HB interface which allows basic operations such as start/stop/upgrade/downgrade/install/reset etc from the billing panel. It comes at a cost of course the freedom is traded for ease of use.

@tchen said:
    Capacity. DO's capacity planning front runs iwstack, no doubt thanks to the cash infusion. Despite being rock solid, I can sense diurnal patterns in the iwstack cluster. Different needs, different strokes.

You might be seeing network fluctuations, we stream a lot for the italian media, hundreds of TB daily for each cluster and at peak audience (about 2-5 PM local time) or in the evening for video shows there is some variation for those going over the seabone connection. Fortunately only affects (south) asia and possibly a bit of middle east, but they have other peak times, especially south asia people. There is no visible evidence of cpu or iowait load at any time except absolutely random spikes for a couple of minutes here and there.

Thanked by 1tchen
  • @Maounique thanks for the answers.

To no 2: Oh, I didn't knew that, thanks for letting me know. I run some stuff on the machine that doesn't need a lot of disk space but quite some bandwidth, that's why I thought about it.

To no 3: But seflow is always limited to 100mbps, regardless of the plan? I got a 1gb ram box, that's why I ask.

To no 4: Yes, I understand that it's hard, especially regarding the low price you charge for it.

To no 5: I asked, because there are really just two points that keep me from using iwstack for one of my main projects: 1. I don't know whether this kind of storage affects the speed of big database applications and if the disk speed will degrade when things get full. 2. The latency between prometeus and cloudflare: Although it's not much, in e.g. AMS it's only 2ms.
    Otherwise the service would be great for serious projects and I think I'm also a little bit overconcerned.

CPU intensive instances would be cool as well.

tr1cky said: But seflow is always limited to 100mbps, regardless of the plan? I got a 1gb ram box, that's why I ask

Only incoming, outgoing is always over our network.

tr1cky said: 1. I don't know whether this kind of storage affects the speed of big database applications and if the disk speed will degrade when things get full.

It depends what large means. If many queries per second needing a lot of disk activity (iops) it will benefit from ssd. If you can cache it in ram (little data or only a few queries frequently done, not much difference, also if the data is big but not much queries per second. If there is a saturation on IOPS, unlike local storage, we can always add more volumes and blades to the storage, like we already did.

• praveenpraveen Member
    edited March 2014

@Maounique one more request about restoring snapshots from backup.

Only issue or drawback I faced with Iwstack is with restoring the snapshot. May be experts can correct me if I am wrong or any other easy option is available.

1) Create a template out of backup snapshot and create a new instance out of it. But this changes the IP address and can cause minor downtime because of DNS propagation issues.

2) Other possible option to keep the IP address is to rebuild the instance, attach the old disk to the new instance and manually setup and restore data to new VM. This may take some time depending on the situation.

It will be great is there is some option to restore the snapshot directly so that the VM goes back to the state of snapshot. I believe Digital Ocean and Linode have some feature like that ( i have not tried ).

• CrabCrab Member

I have been looking for a solid provider for a while now to host mail servers. Combining cloud-like features (snapshots, SAN, ...) to a cost effective price point is tough to find. Especially if you want to run FreeBSD like I do.

I have been keeping an eye on iwStack and it sure seem very potential on paper, but I just have doubts how slow the connection would be to US west coast.

Reliability is my main driver, but I don't want to have sluggish performance either. Any thoughts on that?

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited March 2014

@Crab, iwstack should work just fine. I have had no issues at all using iwstack running Debian with an encrypted filesystem.

Current uptime for me (both OS "uptime" as well as network availability) is almost 2 months (I rebooted).

I have seen over 1 year uptime with other Prometeus products, so I am hoping for the best with iwstack as well.

The fact that they have lowered prices is unexpected icing on the cake and incentive for me to spin up additional instances for other purposes.

Cheers

@Crab said:
    I have been looking for a solid provider for a while now to host mail servers. Combining cloud-like features (snapshots, SAN, ...) to a cost effective price point is tough to find. Especially if you want to run FreeBSD like I do.

I have been keeping an eye on iwStack and it sure seem very potential on paper, but I just have doubts how slow the connection would be to US west coast.

Reliability is my main driver, but I don't want to have sluggish performance either. Any thoughts on that?

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Maounique have you tried cough cough CC ? cough *insert some random meme here

edited March 2014

praveen said: @Maounique one more request about restoring snapshots from backup.

Unfortunately, this is the way of cloudstack+KVM. This and the no resize of root disks are 2 serious issues, but there are ways of working around these, for example a custom VM creation, with 1 GB ROOT disk (with /boot on it) and the system installed on DATA disks if you plan on extensively restoring the snapshots. It will be just a few clicks, remove current disk, restore snapshot and attach it (of course, with VM shutdown).

Crab said: I have been keeping an eye on iwStack and it sure seem very potential on paper, but I just have doubts how slow the connection would be to US west coast.

That depends. You can test the speed here: http://lg-milano.prometeus.net or try our mirror system: mirrors.prometeus.net or use black's speed test which includes a few of our european presences.
    It also depends on what you plan on hosting there. If only email, then that should be no issue at all, you wont be doing bulk mail, email marketing or such to have problems with throughput at a few tens of MB/s, so I dont think it will be an issue at all.

If you wanted to use www.iwstack.com for streaming, CDN, gameservers, then that would have been an issue indeed.

netomx said: @Maounique have you tried cough cough CC ? cough *insert some random meme here

It does not look like they have a brilliant network nor IPv6 and response times do not seem great either. If there will be US expansion (there is an usage test case coming soon with ssd local storage in US to see if there is demand for such a move), then it will be only after careful testing and consideration. We do NOT want to have to change DCs or get the equipments held pending some long and costly trial or anything there must be a serious DC with no history of litigation, with good network (or allow us to make own arrangements with carriers), good and available at any time remote hands, with no insane prices such as 10k for a rack with power and network counted separately.

• Maounique said: There is also a very serious risk involved, in EU the law is the law and contracts are respected, in US, the high cost of litigation and added problems for remote litigation make it impractical, so if the US companies do not respect the contracts, the agreements, there is nothing you can do about it, just suck up the loses and move on, but there is a lot bigger loss than the money for the servers, it is credibility to customers, therefore we really have to study the DC well before, this takes a lot of time.

What about Canada? Most of the datacenters in Montreal and Toronto are very reliable, peering is good, and as far as I know, the law is the law too.

• CrabCrab Member
    edited March 2014

@Maounique @geekalot Thank you for your comments. Do you have any ongoing extra credit codes available for new accounts? I think it is time to try your services out :)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2014

Maounique said: DO and vultr are no competitors for iwstack, it is the cheapest IaaS with redundancy out there, I do not believe there are other real IaaS platforms that give full access to the cloudstack/openstack/whatever UI so far.

There are both more redundant cloud providers in Europe (Jiffybox for example/DE, N+2, some others like GTS/CZ do N+3+backups) and full openstack access ones as well (many just not by default) - Not at the same price, but not much more expensive either.

iwstack is cheap and nice though, pricing wise very well. Very stable. Can recommend.

(Though Italy as location will cause issues at one point, and so will the incorporation in UK - What a bad idea)

Thanked by 1Maounique

William said: and so will the incorporation in UK

Iperweb LTD is not selling iwstack at this moment, but it is planned, will probably sell the local storage, no UI access crippled version for people which cannot manage otherwise or need a simple KVM with some extra features.
    Even so, there is no infrastructure in UK ATM, so, if you are afraid of server seizing or surveillance, it is out of her majesty's reach but, IMO, Italy is just as bad, albeit not for political stuff.

Crab said: Do you have any ongoing extra credit codes available for new accounts?

Just open a ticket and I will place a 15 Eur order for a new account.

• CrabCrab Member

Ticket #152205 opened, much appreciated!

Yes, but I was talking about the special 15 Eur account for existing customers not extra credits added, sorry for the confusion :) Settled with the old WHT promo, though.

• CrabCrab Member

No worries, that's plenty too :)

edited March 2014

Added new storage offerings, 100-200-400 GB which can be used for DATA disks, at secondary storage prices, about half the new (lowered) price. This is still SAN protected storage, but has lower IOPS.

Thanked by 2craigb tchen